Plugins sounding really weird

Jayin Gunasekera

Question

Hey there. I'm a new producer trying to make some music on Cakewalk for the first time. I've been enjoying it so far but I have one issue I don't understand. I am using Komplete Control for some drum plug-ins and it has been pretty simple so far, aside from one issue. When I make multiple tracks for each piece of my drum loop, the playback will overlay each plugin effect even though only 1 effect is selected in that track. I don't know if this  is an issue only I have or if I have messed up using my plug-in correctly.

I'd love some help on this issue.

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

I don't understand what you mean by "the playback will overlay each plugin effect even though only 1 effect is selected in that track."

There are 2 kinds of plug-ins you may use in Cakewalk. Virtual instrument plug-ins (also called "soft synths") and effect plug-ins.

A virtual instrument plug-in makes sound when MIDI notes are sent to it. The notes can come from a MIDI track in Cakewalk or from an external controller.

An effect plug-in is used to alter the sound of a track (or clip) in some way, compression, EQ, whatever. Each audio or synth track has an FX Rack where its effect plug-ins are listed.

Are you saying that if you have 4 effects on each of your drum tracks, all of the effects are audible even when you only have one of them enabled?

If so, are you sure that only one of them is enabled? If you only want a single effect on each track, why are you not placing only that effect in the FX Rack?