Why Are The Apple M1, M1 Pro And M1 Max Chips So Fast?

cclarry

No doubt Apple has a winner on their hands. While I expected a higher price for a Mac, the pricing does not seem to have gone up with these new chips.

I pulled up a MacBook Pro loaded with 16gb memory M1 10 core cpu,16 core neural engine ( whatever that is?) and 16gb unified memory- 2699.00.

This would not be the end for me though because one hard drive is nowhere near enough even at 1tb and there would have to be monitors for the studio. That drives the price up.

IMO the choice is still balanced between economics and what you want or need to do. I can come away with a very nice Intel or AMD build that has no problem with 100 tracks for less. If I had to work portable that might tip the scales a little in favor of. Toting around a 100 track project from a paying client would make me a little nervous. All it takes is one mistake. Then what? The lappy has to go to Apple to be fixed and hopefully recover the tracks. That lady on the bus accidentally sits on it, or it gets dropped, then what?

I seldom have more than 50 tracks in a mix. For me it's probably overkill, and I feel pretty sure they will have some competition in the future.

31 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

Toting around a 100 track project from a paying client would make me a little nervous. All it takes is one mistake. Then what? The lappy has to go to Apple to be fixed and hopefully recover the tracks. That lady on the bus accidentally sits on it, or it gets dropped, then what?

Done exactly this many times, including right now. Travel with a fairly substantial mobile rig, all centered around laptop. It adds a level of stress....a certain level. High level you could say. Every time someone at the airport security has to handle my gear I realize my life is in their hands. No cloud backup, but everything on multiple redundant portable drives...that at certain times are all within a couple feet of each other. I take drugs for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

Done exactly this many times, including right now. Travel with a fairly substantial mobile rig, all centered around laptop. It adds a level of stress....a certain level. High level you could say. Every time someone at the airport security has to handle my gear I realize my life is in their hands. No cloud backup, but everything on multiple redundant portable drives...that at certain times are all within a couple feet of each other. I take drugs for this.

I think I would feel a little more confident with SSD internal. Platters would make me nervous. 

You can't look too nervous at the airport. They will think you are carrying coke. You'll end up getting one of those 'special searches'.😲

I guess there is a way around everything. If I had to do it I would make it work somehow. Redundant drive always helps.

I bought a gamer laptop a few years ago thinking I would use it and it mostly sits now. I'm spoiled on a desktop.

-Tim

I went yesturday to check models and prices .... WTF ? are those prices ? 700 euros to upgrade to next SSD ? starting prices of mac pro : 6500 Euros  ? lol 

Really i "can " understand professional that makes a SERIOUS living from that jumping on this , but man .... things are ridiculous and i will even say "insulting" in a way 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zo said:

I went yesturday to check models and prices .... WTF ? are those prices ? 700 euros to upgrade to next SSD ? starting prices of mac pro : 6500 Euros  ? lol 

Really i "can " understand professional that makes a SERIOUS living from that jumping on this , but man .... things are ridiculous and i will even say "insulting" in a way 

No... it's just the Apple way, e.g. a stand for $949(?!?!).

image.png.5c71765c230b25bde343d360d1ccdc2b.png

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MWUG2Z/A/pro-stand

P.S. I'm sure it's reasonable in some way, and that I just don't understand why because I'm not an Apple-person

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, antler said:

Here's another one - I hope these are really good quality wheels...

image.png.78e6ec6add7c11544764c7597c0cfea7.png

its pricey,  but they are "Pro" wheels.  And you do get free shipping.  :D.  Seriously,  only an idiot or someone doing some kind slightly shady budget/ tax thing would buy that. that's more than twice the price to get new tires on my car.   

As far as the value of a Mac computer, this comes up all the time.  As old as time it seems.  But if you want a fair comparison ( and don't have an agenda like you are broke or are tryout to sell your own computers, lol),  match each of the components.  for example,  $600 for an intel cpu.  $$300-400 for the mobo.  $200-$300 for Ram.  SSD (compatible to what Mac uses)...and so on.  when you add it all up,  its really not that much more expensive.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

its pricey,  but they are "Pro" wheels.  And you do get free shipping.  :D.  Seriously,  only an idiot or someone doing some kind slightly shady budget/ tax thing would buy that. that's more than twice the price to get new tires on my car.   

As far as the value of a Mac computer, this comes up all the time.  As old as time it seems.  But if you want a fair comparison ( and don't have an agenda like you are broke or are tryout to sell your own computers, lol),  match each of the components.  for example,  $600 for an intel cpu.  $$300-400 for the mobo.  $200-$300 for Ram.  SSD (compatible to what Mac uses)...and so on.  when you add it all up,  its really not that much more expensive.  

Its definately more expensive. I am currently building a 12th gen Intel with 64 gb ram, 4 TB M2 SSD and top of the line fans, psu, chassis etc for about 3000€ Including  25%  VAT. A Mac Pro like that would be like 10k. My rig will beat any Mac currently available as well. 

I don’t think you can even buy a PC laptop for 65k€.

I do get why people like macs though, and most people get the cheaper ones with 8gb ram etc which are reasonably priced, as long as you don’t upgrade anything. The apple silicon chip is also awesome from a power performance ratio which is what it was designed for, so battery life is outstanding.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Its definately more expensive. I am currently building a 12th gen Intel with 64 gb ram, 4 TB M2 SSD and top of the line fans, psu, chassis etc for about 3000€ Including  25%  VAT. A Mac Pro like that would be like 10k. My rig will beat any Mac currently available as well. 

I don’t think you can even buy a PC laptop for 65k€.

I do get why people like macs though, and most people get the cheaper ones with 8gb ram etc which are reasonably priced, as long as you don’t upgrade anything. The apple silicon chip is also awesome from a power performance ratio which is what it was designed for, so battery life is outstanding.

I believe that build will be easily equaled by the upcoming Mac Pro. You can already get a MacBook Pro with amazing specs for not much more, yet consuming a lot less power. You won’t be able to find a pc laptop running those specs for more than an hour on battery (while getting hotter that hot) whereas this new M1Max MacBook Pro will continue to sing over 12 hours at full capacity without breaking a sweat. You can’t even hear the fans. These new Apple Silicon machines are really that good. I’ve been waiting since 2012 for them. That’s how long I had to live with noisy Intel on heat. No more. 

I got one of the  first gen M1's for my kid to do his school work. i think he is just screwing around with FL studio on it. it seems okay. fast i guess. but I can't really see a point to moving to this until my current DAW dies one day. my problem isn't computing power. my problem is completing shit.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1