Expression question: How can I make a string-section attack sound warmer and bigger?

Sean

I'm using the Chris Hein Ensemble Strings vst, and the string attacks sound a bit harsh and not as warm as I'd like, when the full string sections comes in at the same time. It also doesn't sound quite as big as a string ensemble usually sounds like. What can I do to make it sound more natural?

I have reverb turned on. I tried experimenting with the 'drawing' controllers in the "Piano roll" view, and added some volume fade-ins (to ease into the note). But I'm having trouble figuring out the Volume-expression, and it ends up sounding too-loud or too-soft. How can I use the Volume expression, and make sure it doesn't get too loud?

Are there any other tricks I can do, to make a string ensemble (especially during an attack) sound warmer, and a little more enveloping?

Edited by Sean

EQ? Run the fly out EQ over it and do a sweep across all frequencies with a bit of a boost, find the frequencies you don't like by boosting them, then when found, take out the frequencies to taste. Add a broad Q in the lower frequencies to give then some warmth. Any compression on it? You can smooth the attack of the strings further through short attack times on the compressor, longer release times. I'd do these things before adding reverb or fiddling with volume changes.

Does anyone know how the Volume fade-in/fade-out works? I want to try doing a quick Volume fade-in (to further soften the attack), and I have been experimenting with the "Insert-series of controllers" command, and manually drawing expression", but the Volume gets outta whack when I use it. My strings are set up at -5 Volume, and I want to strings to return to -5 Volume.

I've included a picture of what I'm trying to figure out: what number I should choose for the "End" to return to the original Volume of the string section. (Of course it’s gonna be quite a lot quicker than 0 thru 54 for the fade in speed like in the picture...I’ll make the fade-in closer to an eighth note in length)

2019-05-22.jpg

Edited by Sean