Re-Install New PC help Please

Pathfinder

So finally decided new build deserved NEW Win 10x64 install. All done.

Now I like all samples and cakewalk content on my E:\Sample Drive. It already exists with everything o I guess that will ot help.

My question is: Doing a custom install of cakewalk when I get to Cakewalk Content location can I just browse to and select my E drive?  Used mlink, etc before to do this.

Wish there was someway to use what is already in the cw content folder on the E dive but I imagine that's not possible.

Thanks

If a directory junction exists pointing "C:\Cakewalk Content" to another physical location such as "E:\Cakewalk Content" even though the installer writes to "C:\Cakewalk Content" the actual data is written to the physical location pointed to by the directory junction.

26 minutes ago, lapasoa said:

First intall Sonar Platinum. After that install CbB.

Dowload and install all Command Center Program Data.

I actually had Platinum, X1,X2, and X3 installed alongside bandlab for years. I have already installed just CWbyBL. 

You always install from oldest to newest to avoid overwriting certain system files with outdated code. 
There’s hundreds of threads here on best practices for new installs. 

It’s always a lot of work. A time saver for me is to copy the CCC download folder from the old drive. 

This leads to a pretty in-depth discussion of how to install SONAR and Cakewalk

One thing I don't mention is using allowing the installer to use previous settings. As a rule, this prompt should be answered with "No".

Also, if one wants to redirect file such as Cakewalk Content, the directory junctions may be made at any time.

Well I have already reinstalled many ;large VST's, etc, so I guess I will now not have the older versions of Sonar anymore. I'll keep them safe for the future.

Live and learn. The hard way....story of my life these days!

Edited by Pathfinder

55 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Well I have already reinstalled many ;large VST's, etc, so I guess I will now not have the older versions of Sonar anymore. I'll keep them safe for the future.

Live and learn. The hard way....story of my life these days!

By installing Platinum first you will get all the extra goodies that you paid for. CbB doesn't ship with very much by way of plugins

1 hour ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

By installing Platinum first you will get all the extra goodies that you paid for. CbB doesn't ship with very much by way of plugins

I understand that but I am not ready to go thru the process of VSTs like Toontrack, Izotope and countless others. If I find I am sorely missing some of them I may reconsider but it would take an awful lot for that to happen.

EDIT: If I KNEW for sure that I would NOT have to reinstall all samples and VSTS I would have no problem do it correctly.

So, does uninstalling CWbyBL mess with any of the installed VSTS or samples and libraries?  I would hate to make ANOTHER mistake. Thanks

Edited by Pathfinder

54 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

So, does uninstalling CWbyBL mess with any of the installed VSTS or samples and libraries?  I would hate to make ANOTHER mistake. Thanks

A simple uninstall does not.

A clean install might but may be avoided by modifying step 9 by

• temporarily moving "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins" out of the Cakewalk folders before deleting the Cakewalk folders then
  • reintegrating the Vstplugins folders after re-installing.

If you still have the full CbB installer, a clean install is not necessary for what you are doing.

OK. I will try (do that) that tomorrow. Thanks guys!

I have ALL the installers and serials and reg info etc for ALL sonar on a spreadsheet. 

Should I install what I had?

I know Plat for sure, but x1,x2 and x3? All of them? I have the room.

Thanks very much

2 hours ago, scook said:

I started with an advanced install selecting minimal install of X2 for V-Vocal and plug-ins not in X3 followed with an advanced install of X3 for plug-ins not in Platinum and a full install of Platinum.

Also check out my post above for details on installing legacy products.

Thanks Scook. Already did. Great stuff. Found all my Sonars and cam across this file. Remember this? I am sorry I do not remember who did this. Wasn't me of course.

Weird that I cannot open it here?

Sonar what version had what_GREAT.xlsx

Edited by Pathfinder

OK I have now started all over with X1, X2, X3 and Plat, then CWbyBL. Hoping all goes well. I am referring to the discussions suggested.

Not sure about CW content folder on Sample drive-but I get to it 😞 

Edited by Pathfinder