How to duplicate track without linking?

Ronman

When I duplicate a MIDI instrument track, checking the "Events" box but NOT checking the "Link to original" box, it acts as if linked.  That is, if I select MIDI events in the new track, it automatically selects the similar events in the original track.   If I delete something in the new track, it's also deleted in the original.

However, if I select both tracks and right-click, "Unlink" is greyed out, indicating the Cakewalk doesn't consider them linked but is behaving as if they are.

If I delete a MIDI event in the new track using a left click in PRV, it works as desired, i.e. only deletes in that track.  But that's a tedious way to go.

Edited by Ronman

11 hours ago, Ronman said:

Yes, using latest version.  Go into PRV on track 2 before dragging the clip to the new position, and drag-select something, then press the delete key.  Does it also delete within track 1?

No, it doesn't, at least in my system. As far as I tested, nothing I edit on track 2 affects track 1, if they are not linked.

See videos.

• Like 1

I hadn't actually checked when I posted that but it does indeed (on my machine anyway) only affect DnD, not Duplicate track (which I've checked with both plain MIDI and Simple Instrument Tracks).  So I can't replicate the OP's problem either.

Argh, I left out a crucial detail in my original post.  The behavior of selecting all tracks in addition to the one I'm working on only happens when selecting from Now to End using Shift-Alt-F6.  Please see the video below.  The behavior is identical whether Preferences -> Editing -> "Copy Entire Clips As Linked Clips" is set or not.

The Shift-Alt-F6 command is one I use constantly and a major reason I use Cakewalk.

I see. This is like in Wave lab a feature I use a lot. You use either Shift/ Home to highlight to the left. Or Shift /End to highlight to the right.  I dislike the slow way Cakewalk does this after a Split. You have to change it in preferences each move.