DAW Tests on the M1 Processor

cclarry

It is impressive.  I have the 16 inch M1 pro.  I haven’t bothered running the absurd tests just to see it’s limits.  But I am playing  bfd3 with my edrums at 1ms latency! That’s with a UAD arrow at 96k, Uad console bypassed.   In fact,  I just leave everything at 96k and 32.  Apple done good. 

• Like 3

I'm do to upgrade soon...my FX-8300 is over 5 years old now...but man has it been the cats
pajamas!  No TPM so can't upgrade to Windows 11...not that I care...but it's getting old, and 
I don't want to "be down" for any time...will upgrade as soon as I can...I'll upgrade at the Minimum
to a Ryzen 7 and double my RAM.  I have an i7 System as a backup if worse comes to worse...but it's
also an older system, so will be looking to upgrade later this year.

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I'll wait to see what the MacPro towers will go for. I've no real need for laptop.

I was thinking similar but towers seem to be more tailored to graphics/video use lately.  Aside from being crazy expensive.  I’m leaning towards a laptop now.  Just need to figure out a better option for all my T5 SSD’s.  

M1 max and M1 max pro (probably overkill) look really good.

testing old mac versus new mac is useless ....

Real test would be M1 versus top mobile cpu  on windows , and see how cold people will start to become ...when os System latency  will also enter the equation 

The only real benefice imho is the heat management witch is exellent on new ones ...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zo said:

testing old mac versus new mac is useless ....

Real test would be M1 versus top mobile cpu  on windows , and see how cold people will start to become ...when os System latency  will also enter the equation 

The only real benefice imho is the heat management witch is exellent on new ones ...

If one has an old Mac or pc, they may want to see if the performance difference is worth it. So comparisons can be helpful.  Have you tested any of the M1 chips personally? I ask because this is the first time I see anyone say the “only” benefit is  heat management, which is indeed stellar and probably the best there currently is (in that regard).  That’s no small thing, as, of course, it allows the cpu to run without throttling and uses very little power.  Also,  what do you mean by system latency? OS X? First time I hear that too.  I’m also not sure on your prediction that people will cool to the M1. Seems like everyone is getting one of these. And why not? You can pick up an M1 air for under a grand. Or the original M1 pro for not much more.  Just curious about your views. Thanks. :)

i'm saying  the only benefit other previius APPLE stuff is the heat management , of course perf is beter , but MAcs are all other my garage because dead of bad heat management , porr perf under heavy load due to throtlling ect ....

A system stable in heat dissaption willl perform better and longer ;) that's what i meant .... i'm talking old macs versus new macs ....i see a clear improvement in that area as well as graphical ones (they were limited , again becuase of the heat managemnt versus the poor design of the macbook .....and their crazy temperature .

The beauty of the M1 is that they can keep their goal : fine design , near passive cooling and maintain high perfs !!

People grabbing an Apple air M& thinking it will outperfome equivalents in Pc's is a pure non educated guess ...

People grabbing an Apple AIR M1 thinking it will outperform previous macs : bingo , they did a great job .

I'm not saying people will cool on M1 , i'm sating if some real guyz would do a serious test on sessions , one on let's say a fully loaded Lenovo X1 xtreme and one on this M1 , they will stop saying bullshit online like i see everywhere , from this guyz bashing UAD keeping saying M1 , M1 ,M1 ....i'm sot tired of this non eductaed people that gives their thougth , because they can ...consequences ? who cares ....

At the end i will always prefer a well design PC with great cooling solution ( vapor chamber) than an other pirced mac , wit poor port selection and zero double SSD configuartion (ask Bapu , we need space) 

Pure raw power ?  PC 's are still kings and when well designed , it's a keeper ....

image.thumb.png.341bc18659bdd56a834e9c924d02bf0d.png

Edited by Zo

6 minutes ago, Zo said:

i'm saying  the only benefit other previius APPLE stuff is the heat management , of course perf is beter , but MAcs are all other my garage because dead of bad heat management , porr perf under heavy load due to throtlling ect ....

A system stable in heat dissaption willl perform better and longer ;) that's what i meant .... i'm talking old macs versus new macs ....i see a clear improvement in that area as well as graphical ones (they were limited , again becuase of the heat managemnt versus the poor design of the macbook .....and their crazy temperature .

The beauty of the M1 is that they can keep their goal : find design , near passive cooling and maintain high perfs !!

People grabbing an Apple air M& thinking it will outperfome equivalents in Pc's is a pure non educated guess ...

People grabbing an Apple AIR M1 thinking it will outperform previous macs : bingo , they did a great job .

I'm not saying people will cool on M1 , i'm sating if some real guyz would do a serious test on sessions , one on let's say a fully loaded Lenovo X1 xtreme and one on this M1 , they will stop saying bullshit online like i see everywhere , from this guyz bashing UAD keeping saying M1 , M1 ,M1 ....i'm sot tired of this non eductaed people that gives their thougth , because they can ...consequences ? who cares ....

Thanks for explaining.  I think I understand what you mean. But how do you know it’s bullshit? In other words, can you share what you know in this regard? Cause, like I said,  first time I’m seeing that sentiment and I’ve read a lot of reviews on this all over.  That’s why I ask if you have tested it.  And I’m sure there will be, if not already, a test that puts the best intel/ Amd vs M1s.  I’d be curious on those results  too.  But really just for academic purposes, as any M1 or modern windows pc will do anything we could want, musically. 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

Thanks for explaining.  I think I understand what you mean. But how do you know it’s bullshit? In other words, can you share what you know in this regard? Cause, like I said,  first time I’m seeing that sentiment and I’ve read a lot of reviews on this all over.  That’s why I ask if you have tested it.  And I’m sure there will be, if not already, a test that puts the best intel/ Amd vs M1s.  I’d be curious on those results  too.  But really just for academic purposes, as any M1 or modern windows pc will do anything we could want, musically. 

I don't understand your question ? what do you want to know ? i can go super technical or just regular ... i'm no sarcastic fo real ..

16 minutes ago, kevin H said:

This thread is getting good..haha

image.gif.b90608cd0982bac4e66d7e59e5807349.gif

Kevin for real , there's no bad choices , the only bad choice is an unedicated one ...

To make it short :

Zo i want the best Computer for music : not mac

Zo i want a great computer for music : mac in the list 

Zo i'm on mac , is this the best mac made to date : probably 

Zo woud you buy this mac : macs have been great , then crap for decades then seems better now , if i need a mac for something , i will happely jump on this one without the fear and apprehension i had with previous models  (aka ferraris with renault engine and reliability) 

For music , ports and at least 2 onbaord SSD's is a must in my book ...  

At the end , APPLE smart as they art , is making the yellow brick road for video and photo guyz , the must understood how the world will work soon .... i wanted to update my video software capture and last version took 30 % more , yep they know online content is the next eldorado 

This M1 thing is really superb in that aspect !!! 

Edited by Zo
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Zo said:

I don't understand your question ? what do you want to know ? i can go super technical or just regular ... i'm no sarcastic fo real ..

Go as deep as you want to type, lol.  I’m all for learning.   I guess I’m  curious about the system latency you mentioned. Never heard of that before.  Im also curious about, if I understand,  why you feel macs are of poor quality.  My impression is that they are very  high quality. Especially with the M1 chip.  IAnd the graph you posted. It doesn’t give much useful info because we don’t know what test that is.  Maybe cinebench? A proper test, for us, would be how many tracks/plug ins at what latency. Things that we care about.  Like I said, I’m sure someone ran some tests already. Or will soon enough.  Maybe you can do these tests? :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zo said:

Kevin for real , there's no bad choices , the only bad choice is an unedicated one ...

Makes sense.  For me I’m very invested in apple so honestly don’t think I plan to go back.  I have a 2006 Mac tower that has outlasted every windows pc I ever had.  I still use it for some things.   My 2015 i7 mac can still handle anything I’m doing these days. That’s one thing with apple, they last forever and only reason I upgrade is when they drop support and I need latest OS.  M1 max or pro should be good for another 7-8 years.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Mann said:

Go as deep as you want to type, lol.  I’m all for learning.   I guess I’m  curious about the system latency you mentioned. Never heard of that before.  Im also curious about, if I understand,  why you feel macs are of poor quality.  My impression is that they are very  high quality. Especially with the M1 chip.  IAnd the graph you posted. It doesn’t give much useful info because we don’t know what test that is.  Maybe cinebench? A proper test, for us, would be how many tracks/plug ins at what latency. Things that we care about.  Like I said, I’m sure someone ran some tests already. Or will soon enough.  Maybe you can do these tests? :)

I don't have time right now to write a whole thing about that but to put it simple as possible .

system latency is very dangerous because it doesn't depends on CPU speed , this is basically the time a request ,to cpu access for calculation, waits until the acess is effectif .

This is why on my test for exemple i played 600 tracks on my HP 8560 W while my friend fully loaded MAc pro couldn't while more powerfull ....

This impact the realtime processus capability . Off line rendering is not an issue , that'sw hy all those video randering stuff are useless most of the time ;) 

Anyway , what could cause those hight latency :

1) Bad intergration : i had two computers , a sony vgn bx 97 and an aacer  , same component , sony latency was 10 us !! acer was 800 us ... you know what i mean ;)

2) Process (wifi refershing , ambiant light cencor ,anything that neeed random access to cpu in a constant way)

3) The OS itself (tests have made back then that showed that for exemple on the same MAC pro , same soundcard , same software , same plugins , the latency was 10 times bigger on osx than windows insatlled on it !:!! )

anyway if i say to you ferrari is better than bmw , doesn't mean bmw is crap ..

Issues with MBP other the past

One of the biggest issue with macbooks was heat management (like all laptops in fact pc and macs)

Tehnology have evolved , but physics is physics

Heat formulas is important to undertsand what happened and what will happen 

P = F xV2 x E

P = Heat

F = Frequency of a cpu 

V°2 : is voltage X voltage

E = epsilon , a vaiabels of adjustement (don 't pay attention to that for now) 

So the challenge is keep P low !!!!!!!!

So if you want to gain power

1) you can increase speed , but heat will go up : solution  creation of turbo boost , use speed when needed 

2) more power can be obatined by more cores , but more cores , more power (volatge !!) : solution created : hyperthreading , more "logicol" core while less real physical cores ...

Real world scenario (tested i done on my macbook pro back then) 

stress test : wprime witch is the one that comes closer to real daw usage 

wprime 1024 is a heavy series of long calculation , objectif , seeing how the computer performance in long period of stress ( 10 min) 

beginnginof test  : Cpu speed = X (high)  heat = 80 degres

quarter of test  : CPU speed = X (still high) heat 99 degres / Fans maxed out !!

Middle of test : CPU speed =X - 30 % heat 90 degres fans maxed out 

Everything possible only if the power brick on , adn battery fully charged since 90  watt power supply wasn't enougth 

Real scneraio for a producer ....

I bengin a session : all good

I stack plugins and plugins , vents start and heat jump , 

I keep staking plugins , heat to hight , cpu downclock , crackles start to happen suddently because you went from a Ferrari to a toyata cpu wise lol 

Don't know if i'm clear , but this could be a good discussion for a video live guyz ;) 

Anyway , M1 seems to solved this very problem that made those macs a joke for serious heavy users  , all good for regulkar people  ....