External Insert Sends

I have a need to use some external audio insert sends without an audio port being allocated to the return path.  I know this is similar to a track 'Send' but the external insert can be placed before any other FXs (normal 'Sends' are after all FX) which is important in this particular application.

There is no problem setting up an external insert send only, allocated to an audio output port, but here is the problem:

Even though the external insert send meter shows audio being sent, there is no audio at the actual audio port on my audio interface.

Only if I allocate a return port, does the send port actually get fed audio (even though the insert send meter is showing audio!)

Any idea if this is expected behaviour or a bug?

Thanks

Robert

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could hepl but I'm in the same boat. I have a RME UFX with total mix. I have a vocal track with External Insert plug in. I can get audio to my dbx 160x but as soon as I assign an input for my return,  Signal gets muted. I'm sure it's something easy but cant seem to figure it out.

Not sure if you tried this but I often have used my Lexicon mx200 hardware  for reverb and I use outputs 3/4 of my interface as the output from a buss  I set up and then simply bring it back in to Cakewalk using input 3/4 and record it to a track. 
The tracks I want the effect on use a standard effects send to the 3/4 output buss.
Once the “wet” track is recorded you just mix it in. It’s a terribly stupid set up but it works. Not worth it unless you have a particular effect that cannot be duplicated by a plug in. 

Edited by John Vere

On 1/20/2022 at 9:49 PM, John Vere said:

Not sure if you tried this but I often have used my Lexicon mx200 hardware  for reverb and I use outputs 3/4 of my interface as the output from a buss  I set up and then simply bring it back in to Cakewalk using input 3/4 and record it to a track. 
The tracks I want the effect on use a standard effects send to the 3/4 output buss.
Once the “wet” track is recorded you just mix it in. It’s a terribly stupid set up but it works. Not worth it unless you have a particular effect that cannot be duplicated by a plug in. 

Nice John,

I too have been using my Lexicon MX200 as an External Insert  for a reverb FX on my Cue Bus.  I don't record anything from that bus at all,  I just use a SEND from  the singers vocal track to Cue Bus and place the external inset on it.  I then place the output to my 3/4 outs which go to my external head phone amp.    So the singer receives reverb when they sing and I can dial in the flavor of reverb they may want to hear.

• The Vocals track Output go to the Vox Bus, which goes to the Mix Bus
  • The Vocals track have a send which goes to the Cue Bus, which is  not recorded.
  • The Cue Bus has the External Insert (Lexicon MX 200) on it 
  •  The Cue Bus goes directly to the head phone amp.
  • The singer receives reverb in their head phones which doesn't get recorded.

Sounds like a good system. I haven’t had clients around since the pandemic started so I repurposed stuff. But in the past I always used output 3/4 from the interface into a stereo channel of a small Mackie mixer. Then  my Joe meek pre amp for vocals has 2 outputs so one of those went to the mixer as well. The mx200 was used in the effects send / return  loop so the little mixer was my cue mix.
But I thought I’d try it on a few pre recorded tracks a while ago so it’s now set up directly to my interface. Too bad the USB  driver was never updated. 

Edited by John Vere