Still using SPLAT - am I missing out?

I'm still using Sonar Platinum (which I bought shortly after buying Sonar Professional, dammit).  I've been using Cakewalk since they were 12 Tones, I think I started in 1983 (DOS).  I downloaded the Bandlab version about six months after it came out, but only used it a couple of times.  Since SPLAT had more stuff, and I was using it anyway, I didn't see a reason to change.

Is there one now?  Has Bandlab's version surpassed the final SPLAT version?  I don't care if it's free or not, I don't mind paying for software to make music.  Beats cutting my fingers splicing with razors on my old multitrack reel to reel...

Thanks for your advice.

- Russ

The DAW has regularly received bug fixes and enhancements. Browse the new features section in the help.

Unlike SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab does not include much 3rd party content. But, as noted above, all the content installed with 64bit versions of old Cakewalk products may be used in Cakewalk by BandLab.

Here are some tips for installing legacy content.

Cakewalk by BandLab started being better than SONAR (disregarding the bundled software that used to come with SONAR) about halfway through 2018. I tried the very first Cakewalk by BandLab version and was not impressed by its stability or resource management. The next release improved upon it, and the one after that was so much better that I felt confident that switching from my previous favorite DAW was a safe bet.

Since then it's gotten better in every way. The days when SONAR was bundled with a nice quiver of 3rd-party premium plug-ins are as gone as SONAR is, but those days didn't include the wealth of software available for free that we now enjoy.

Just leave your SONAR installation in place so you can continue to use its effects and VIs. Your current and past SONAR projects will load up fine in CbB and you can continue on without interruption (other than maybe stopping by here with questions about new features). 

Over the past year or so, I have seen what looks like a major effort to add Cakewalk help materials on the Bandlab site, but I haven't looked in a few months.  This page looks like a great resource for new users of Cakewalk [CbB]. 

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

On this page "https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/FAQ/",
You can find most answers for those who have questions like you.

Edited by User 905133
to add the post I was referring to