3 WISE MONKEYS

whoisp

Testing the new Christmas gifts, sampler and synth... loving them.. second part with tiny bit of guitar break, i should have done more, really goes up a gear but i wanted to keep song sort... hope you like ... Happy new years to everyone 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KurtS said:

Nice song but I'm not crazy about the distortion effect, it's kind of distracting.

Yeh its a bit like marmite that distortion haha I couldn't leave it out, ended up being empty without it. I layered it to my bass line and melody as a glue but also to be the metaphorical ambience between reality and fiction. 

• Like 1

Nice job! I would love to learn to put video like this up some time. 

Since you are working with that distortion effect, I am wondering if maybe using the same arpeggio using a different synth would help? I think it's the 'grit' in that patch that sticks out.

I know changes in detail are not something we usually want to deal with once a mix is already uploaded, at least I don't like coming back to something I thought was finished or at least close to finished. I can't comment on the lower ranges because I was only able to hear this on my buds which are lacking.

Nice work!

-Tim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

Nice job! I would love to learn to put video like this up some time. 

Since you are working with that distortion effect, I am wondering if maybe using the same arpeggio using a different synth would help? I think it's the 'grit' in that patch that sticks out.

I know changes in detail are not something we usually want to deal with once a mix is already uploaded, at least I don't like coming back to something I thought was finished or at least close to finished. I can't comment on the lower ranges because I was only able to hear this on my buds which are lacking.

Nice work!

-Tim

Yes, video editing is great fun to learn but can be very time consuming with certain learning curves but similar to cakewalk in a way. I like to spend more time on music and bang the videos together relatively fast. I like, to spend more time on music ideas and learning cakewalk. Iv'e been using cakewalk a year now for a few times a week and love it, so it helped me learn pretty fast with already have some techie knowledge. 

Regarding the music, yes i tried different arps sounds and layers etc, i experiment quite a lot. Personally i was happy with the distortion.  Our personal tastes will always be subjective with styles and then you have preferences with the hooks, the bass, drums, vocals and even the words when writing our own stuff. One set of my buds there's not much bass and distortion. My mates hifi said it shakes his house down but he sets his eq diffrent to how i would set it up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

Visually and musically very entertaining!

👍's

t

can't believe I wasn't already subscribed over at YouTube, but I "fixed" it.
keep 'em coming...

Yes a quality YouTube channel lol

You might notice from September 2020 the quality got better when i moved from a little a 8track to my first song on DAW Cakewalk which was Wisdom of an Angel although the mastering was not great but im still getting there with mastering, thanx

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, whoisp said:

Yes a quality YouTube channel lol

Every "like" and "comment" helps.
I try to encourage the community take a minute and help our forum members out.
I'm afraid it mostly falls on "deaf" ears...

t

as to small "m" mastering, I find it bewildering, but I "solider" on
getting a track "loud", there's a million limiters to "squash" a track with, its that professional "sheen" that eludes me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

as to small "m" mastering, I find it bewildering, but I "solider" on
getting a track "loud", there's a million limiters to "squash" a track with, its that professional "sheen" that eludes me

I only use one limiter on the master. I try to have a healthy dynamic range and stereo filed with some simple tricks to have some sheen and loudness. I am no expert but did work for ITV as a tech engineer so i know technically a bit about sound engineering has i was one lol. I find other things more important like you mention the "sheen" and the warmth or shine depending on the soundtrack or vibe.  Here some simple tips which will help you, they start at the mixing stage because you cant really make a bad mix or recording sound that great has you know. Better the mix better the sheen....

Tip: Do a low and high shelf cut (20hz-20khz) on nearly  "all" tracks at mixing stage, helps reduce hiss and rumble to aim for that "sheen" and headroom that builds up on all tracks when your not cutting, frequencies you can't even hear, so my stereo premaster i will also cut to the sound i want getting close as possible. Not cutting tracks creates at least two problems, often more.  I say "nearly al tracks" because i will also do bigger EQ cuts on certain instruments and less on others. So lets say my kick drum sits at 50 to 100hz i will totally cut some tracks low shelf more than 100hz if it doesn't effect the track sound i am cutting, like a hi-hat you can do big low shelf cuts and be more careful with the high shelf.  However on the other hand i wont do a 100hz cut on my FX track if i am using impacts and thuds or they would have no impact or thud and we don't want to loose anything that helps the overall sheen, we creating space and reducing mud. You know what sound your guitar or instrument needs to sound like so don't over cut so it doesn't sound like the instrument you want it to sound like.  However if some instruments are sharing a frequency we can loose shine and get mud or phasing or stereo issues. So we counter with panning like a band on stage for width and subtle reverb/delay for depth and/or cutting a hole in one instrument frequency by a few db and and boost the other up a few db so they complement each other more.  Example If the bass is also at 50 to 100hz same as the kick you got a battle going on and it pushes up the master db loosing headroom and effects the sheen and even mud with overlaps. Most people will turn one up on the fader, bad idea has  you chase your tail when mixing turning other things up loosing more headroom, fact its better to turn one down but a cut is better  with sheen in mind. We can use the cakewalk pro channel/track eq  or Sonitus multiband is a great tool to  cut  ranges like the example 50 to 100hz kick range maybe 1 to 3db or the bass by 1 to 3db depending on style of music so the master or pro channel db is still the same db and keeping headroom, i might even put a subtle reverb/delay on bass to move in behind or in front keeping the sheen and not creating mud from the overlap frequencies as we don't want to make cuts everywhere and end up sounding to fake with digital processing. More space we have to play with we then can add more life for sheen by adding saturation to glue some harmonics and have that sheen. If we just always push fader up, lots of people do this and it pushes up the the crap, we lose headroom and end up with  more noise, hiss  rumble and less sheen. We want to create our own noise and sound with saturation and exciters etc to keep the sheen or make it better. hope that helps a bit, im not great at explaining on txt 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2022 at 11:54 PM, Jesse Screed said:

oxymoron

very clean recording and yes, the synths sound very nice

always quality creations from your studio

oxymoron was my favourite word for a while when is was a teenager haha 

On 1/9/2022 at 6:44 PM, Paul Bush said:

Hi whoisp Yes it just got better and better as the song continued,  really kept the listener interested , like a good cold beer right to the very last drop , really liked the vocals , yep great stuff this one  cheers

Should have This is War (where killers are hero's) finished in couple of days, will be different again i think