Problem with audio/metronome

David Gray

Hi,

Please be kind in your answers to this! I am relatively new to audio tech.

I've been having a problem where all my output (including metronome) is being routed into the input, and I can't get it to stop.

So, for example if I record some guitar, then when I try to record vocals, the guitar is also on the vocal input. It's definitely not headphone bleed, it's the original recording that's playing on the new audio track. It was happening with the metronome too, which I half-solved by simply using an online metronome (though that obviously has its problems with snapping to the grid etc). I've tried putting the output as coming directly from the computer rather than the mixer, but often that option simply disappears and besides, it means I can't hear the audio from my mic, which I like to when recording.

It feels like a really simple problem, and I've had it before when using cubase (which was solved by faffing around with options that aren't available on Cakewalk).

Has anyone else had this problem? I use an Alesis Multimix 4, and I'm on a hp laptop.

Welcome to the forum.
Did you download and install the drivers for the Alesis from their web site?
What Driver Mode are you using? Press P on your computer keyboard to find the driver mode.
Many devices have a setting sometimes called "What You Hear" or "Stereo Mix" or some such which routes all of the sound back through the input. That would cause your problem.
Check the Multimix's manual for proper set up.