Jump to content
justinpbrown71

How do I add FX to Multiple Tracks?

Recommended Posts

I want to add compression to 21 individual clips on 21 tracks simultaneously. The settings for the compression will be the same.
How can I do this?
If it is not possible, can I add the compression fx to one track and then copy and paste it to the others?

Also, is it possible to copy pan settings to multiple tracks, or pan them simultaneously, as I will be adding these to 34 tracks, 17 L and 17 R?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Also, is it possible to copy pan settings to multiple tracks, or pan them simultaneously, as I will be adding these to 34 tracks, 17 L and 17 R?"

--- 

Yes, select all the tracks you intend to work on; Ctrl Click while you pan one of them. All tracks will follow.

Another method: select all tracks - Assign them to a group.

See videos.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bdickens said:

Put the compressor on a bus and route the tracks to it.

Thanks very much.

So, if I place fx on a bus, (instead of on the clip itself), then they always affect the clip at the output stage, after any fx I might add to the clip directly?

If so, then this is probably the best way to apply compression?

I'd be grateful for any tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

"Also, is it possible to copy pan settings to multiple tracks, or pan them simultaneously, as I will be adding these to 34 tracks, 17 L and 17 R?"

--- 

Yes, select all the tracks you intend to work on; Ctrl Click while you pan one of them. All tracks will follow.

Another method: select all tracks - Assign them to a group.

See videos.

Great! This method is ideal.

Thanks very much and happy new year!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, justinpbrown71 said:

Thanks very much.

So, if I place fx on a bus, (instead of on the clip itself), then they always affect the clip at the output stage, after any fx I might add to the clip directly?

If so, then this is probably the best way to apply compression?

I'd be grateful for any tips.

You are welcome!

"So, if I place fx on a bus, (instead of on the clip itself), then they always affect the clip at the output stage, after any fx I might add to the clip directly?" - YES

The purpose of the bus is to group several audio material into a single unit.

It's very common and useful to use buses instead of single clips for processing, as you use less resources than applying the same effect clip by clip. You can arrange your audio flow as you need depending on the source material: clips-tracks-buses. Of course there is no fixed rule that apply to all situations, but is very common to group similar audio sources together. i.e., placing similar audio clips into a single track; routing this track to a bus. You can place your efx in the track itself or in the bus, depending on what you are trying to achieve. This is a whole chapter on audio processing, and you can find very useful information about this on the online help, and multiple tutorials on the web. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also put an effect on multiple tracks by dragging from the browser, then holding down CTRL before you drop. Just remember to press CTRL after you've started dragging:

insertEffectMultipleTracks.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

You can also put an effect on multiple tracks by dragging from the browser, then holding down CTRL before you drop. Just remember to press CTRL after you've started dragging:

insertEffectMultipleTracks.gif

Very good tip.
Questions:
1) Can this operation be done only with the FX Browser? Not directly in Console view?
2) How could I do the same operation using my FX PRESETs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Very good tip.
Questions:
1) Can this operation be done only with the FX Browser? Not directly in Console view?
2) How could I do the same operation using my FX PRESETs?

1. You can only do this from the FX Browser, not the console view.
2. You can't, although I'm sceptical as to the usefulness of this in practice.  It's unlikely you'd use exactly the same fx preset for any significant number of tracks.  If you do want this, you can CTRL + drag the effect from one track fx bin to another track's fx bin.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

 


2. You can't, although I'm sceptical as to the usefulness of this in practice.  It's unlikely you'd use exactly the same fx preset for any significant number of tracks.  If you do want this, you can CTRL + drag the effect from one track fx bin to another track's fx bin.
 

Thanks,

1. You can only do this from the FX Browser, not the console view.

------> It's a shame, because I think the operation in the console view would also bring a gain.

2. You can't, although I'm sceptical as to the usefulness of this in practice.  It's unlikely you'd use exactly the same fx preset for any significant number of tracks. (...)

------->  Because improbability happens to me in some situations. I have a preset that handles VOICE recordings, for example. They are different recordings of voices/vocals that I prefer to apply the preset to each TRACK than to put it on a BUS that will receive all the voices and whose mix I sometimes don't like.

2 (...) you can CTRL + drag the effect from one track fx bin to another track's fx bin.

-------> that's what I've been doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...