Can I bounce a midi clip into wav?

pdkmusic

Yeah, you can record the output of the synth it's driving by record arming the synth track and recording that. voila! Digital auto version of the midi drive file.

Edited by bitman

If you're using a soft synth,I find the easiest way is just to freeze the track.

You can either leave it frozen, or copy the rendered audio to a blank audio track.

For real hardware MIDI devices though, @bitman is correct - you need to record the output of the synth to an audio track in realtime.

If you use soft synth, you can select the MIDI clip and the soft synth's track where the MIDI track is routed, then select "Tracks --> Bounce to track(s)..." from the Track View menu, and select Create new track as destination. Make sure you add some empty space at the end of the clip so the decay / sustain (if any) wont be cut.

Edited by James Argo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, James Argo said:

If you use soft synth, you can select the MIDI clip and the soft synth's track where the MIDI track is routed, then select "Tracks --> Bounce to track(s)..." from the Track View menu, and select Create new track as destination. Make sure you add some empty space at the end of the clip so the decay / sustain (if any) wont be cut.

All the above responses will work but James has given you the one that most closely matches your question.

Yes thats exactly what I did. I am curious how studio one and even tracktion waveform renders midi that easily. You just click the midi clip, click render and done. The daw finds the correct soft synth track to render. 

43 minutes ago, pdkmusic said:

Yes thats exactly what I did. I am curious how studio one and even tracktion waveform renders midi that easily. You just click the midi clip, click render and done. The daw finds the correct soft synth track to render. 

Yes, this piques my curiosity as well. So you have a MIDI clip but no soft synth assigned to it, and S1 or Tracktion figures out which soft synth to use and renders the wav file for you? Does it also determine what bit depth/resolution you want to render to?

Edited by Larry Jones

Yes in tracktion you can choose sample rate and sample size. I am not sure about studio one though. Have to check that out. But both those daws can render midi clips that send their data to another instrument track.

*No options for studio one. You just bounce to audio.

Edited by pdkmusic

Ok. Another omission that doesn't make sense.

The implementation of it should be dead easy.

Either you have settings in preferences for audio and softsynth or an options window.

Choose active or inactive synth and rendering alternatives.

1 hour ago, Kurre said:

Ok. Another omission that doesn't make sense. The implementation of it should be dead easy. 

I can't recall ever needing a wav file from a single MIDI clip, nor have I seen anyone complaining about in this forum or the old forum (until now). It's just never been in my workflow. However, if I needed this, I would just select the clip and export audio. It would take a few seconds.

• Like 1

Some scenarios that I use midi clip bouncing. Reversing one part of the track. A drum part for example. Applying different effects to clips of the same midi track is another one. I am sure there are more.

I agree that its not a big deal though. Depends on the workflow.

2 hours ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

If it is a soft synth, Cant you simply solo the midi track and export to wave file? Should take a few seconds.

You don't need to solo it. Just select the track it's in, click on the clip, and export audio.

To export a MIDI clip through a synth the output needs to go to an audio track so bounce to clip isn't the appropriate command. That will bounce the MIDI as MIDI.Well you don't even need to export audio.  Assuming its an instrument track just select the MIDI clip you want and choose bounce to track, pick source category as Tracks and bounce to a new track. This will give you the MIDI rendered through that instrument track.

If its a split instrument with MIDI and synth tracks then select the clip you want followed by selecting both the synth track and the MIDI track. Then bounce to track as above. 

Both will give you what you want. We could add a render command to a MIDI clip but it would require specifying where you want the rendered audio to go. 

• Like 1