It's a Long way Home

mark skinner

Happy New Year ! I'm starting it out with a collaboration with @noynekker Bruce did a Great job writing and singing lyrics to the instrumental "Winding Down" that I recently posted. I also had some additional help from Gary Brun . Any comments , mix and master suggestions are welcomed.   Thanks ..   Us

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 4

wow! What a great collab, don't know where to start - how about the lyrics? Love those, the vocal delivery, the cadences, harmonies - really pulls the ear in. the guitars are so well recorded and played. The drums have a lovely tone as well, organic and live, the snare has a great crack/thump tone! I listened once on hifi headphones, and on my better monitors. Great sound on both!!!

Mix ideas, you don't need any but you might think about how loud the guitars are in the first sung verse, they cover up the vocals just a bit maybe? Everything is killer but the vocals could pop up relative to the guitars in spots, to my ears. Other than that, maybe a few more drum fills towards the ends of verses - into - chorus?

This is one of the best things I've heard around here. Fantastic!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

First of all the song is great...lyrics, music .  Bruce's voice is first rate.  I was listening on really nice headphones and it sounded to me like the kick was clipping.  It might just be a little intentional distortion, not sure.    This could do really well on a bundle of different charts...I guess that's how things are measured these days.  Good luck with it.

• Like 2

Wow , some Great comments and suggestions . Thanks to Everyone for your input. The link now reflects a remix per your suggestions. @DeeringAmps @garybrun The vocals have been boosted by1.5 db. I think they're standing out a lot better.  @PhonoBrainer I did some additional automation (mainly on the lead guitar) getting it away from the vocals a little more. Carving a hole for the vocals has been a job on this one. @David Sprouse There is an additional kick on the 1 beat that got turned up a little before the last mix. I re EQd it and lowered it. I don't think it's conflicting now.  I "try" to be conservative on remixes , please let me know if I over or underdid it. All further suggestions are welcomed. Get as picky as you want. Thank You ..  mark

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 7:55 AM, Tim Smith said:

Great job all around by all. I wasn't sure, is this a re write of an existing tune or a remix of an original? In any case. It sounds wonderful!

@Tim Smith . . . thanks for your positive comment, to clarify, this was posted here on the Cakewalk forum recently by Mark Skinner as a guitar groove mix . . .  called "Winding Down" . . . I offered a vocal and lyric idea to him, we shared some tracks, and Mark was able to arrange it into this song idea.

• Like 1