Happy New Year! Here's the 2nd movement of my new oboe concerto

Jerry Gerber

7 hours ago, Jimbo 88 said:

Really cool!  Love it! You amaze me by how prolific you are.  I really love the synth rhythms behind the orch.

What woodwinds are you using?  VSL?

Thank Jimbo!   Yes, the oboe (that's the only woodwind in the 2nd movement) is from the VSL Orchestral Cube.  In the first movement, the flutes, English horn, clarinets, bass clarinet and bassoons are also from the VSL Orchestral Cube.

Edited by jsg
  • Like 1

Hey Jerry,

Just listen to this again and had a thought. You might try adding another string library that has some "wonkyness" or character to your long strings.  The short strings and woodwinds sound perfect, not sure how you can improve on that.  Your long strings can sound "too perfect" especially when they are in octaves.  I would suggest not changing anything you do, but add something like Spitfire Audio's strings to your 1st Violins (or all your strings) at the end stage mixing process.  They have some built in tuning  and articulation issues that can sound cool at times.  You probably could pick up what you need for free from them.

I hesitate to make any suggestions because your compositions are just soooo great.

Best!

7 hours ago, Jimbo 88 said:

Hey Jerry,

Just listen to this again and had a thought. You might try adding another string library that has some "wonkyness" or character to your long strings.  The short strings and woodwinds sound perfect, not sure how you can improve on that.  Your long strings can sound "too perfect" especially when they are in octaves.  I would suggest not changing anything you do, but add something like Spitfire Audio's strings to your 1st Violins (or all your strings) at the end stage mixing process.  They have some built in tuning  and articulation issues that can sound cool at times.  You probably could pick up what you need for free from them.

I hesitate to make any suggestions because your compositions are just soooo great.

Best!

Hey Jimbo88,

Thanks for listening again and I am pleased you enjoy the composition.  The strings in this piece are the VSL chamber strings.  For the most part I am happy with their sound, but I see your point.  I think it's probably more my fault than the string library, I can probably get the sound you prefer by orchestrating the attack and release times a bit differently, or move them around the MIR sound stage (MIR is the incredible VSL convolution reverb that allows me to place an instrument anywhere on the soundstage).  Another possibility might be to de-tune the 1st and 2nd violins very slightly to increase the perception of the chorus effect.  Still another possibility is to use different sample-sets.  The chamber strings give me quite a few options in terms of long-bow strings, with and without dynamics, and I probably could explore a little more to see if I am choosing the very best articulation for the phrase I've written.   I also have the VSL orchestral, appassionata and solo strings and they all sound different.  Have you heard the VSL orchestral or appassionata strings?  They are both really beautiful, the appassionata strings have more vibrato but fewer sample choices.  In the oboe concerto I wanted a  smaller sound so I am using the chamber strings. 

I have grown reluctant to add more sample libraries to my studio.   It takes time to figure out which one to purchase, time to install it, time to learn it well and then of course there's the additional file management that becomes necessary in terms of backing up the presets I make, the configurations, etc.   I know if I gave into my equipment and software lust every time I think I should buy something new I would never be as prolific as I have been.  I know there are other superb libraries available but I feel I haven't learned VSL as well as I would like.  

When I listen to demos of other libraries I am sometimes impressed but then I listen to VSL and I think, wow, this is really good enough by any standards.  I still think the issues you point out are probably not because of the chamber strings but due to my approach to production.  

I appreciate that you took the time to offer your perspective.   There's always more knowledge to gain when working in this wonderful and exciting medium.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by jsg

I enjoyed both of these.

On the first I liked the synth bass? Almost imperceptible what it actually was but I guess it was a low synth. It played well with the other part. Oboe would not have been my first choice in a compo but now you have me thinking about using it more.

The second one was equally as good in a slightly different style.

You have the VSL libraries down pretty well IMO.

-Tim

19 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

I enjoyed both of these.

On the first I liked the synth bass? Almost imperceptible what it actually was but I guess it was a low synth. It played well with the other part. Oboe would not have been my first choice in a compo but now you have me thinking about using it more.

The second one was equally as good in a slightly different style.

You have the VSL libraries down pretty well IMO.

-Tim

Thanks for listening Tim.  The "synth bass" is a patch from the softsynth Dune. 

9 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I love the oboe. Nice, slightly unsettling melodies and countermelodies. If I close my eyes, I feel like I'm in an Agatha Christie mystery.

Was it a family member? One of the servants? A long-lost out-of-wedlock offspring? Everyone seems to know something they aren't telling.

Really cool.

Thanks Starship Krupa. Yeah, the VSL oboe can be very expressive.