The Ability To Install On Different Drives

Spiriten

Hi there, I've recently come across Cakewalk and it looks phenomenal - but there is no way I'm going to end up using it in its current state. On my computer I currently have 17GB free on my C drive (128GB drive), preferably reserved for OS updates. Base Cakewalk takes up 5GB with a recommended 20GB of free space... that's just not possible for me at the moment. It's especially annoying as I have 250GB available on my D drive and 200GB available on my E drive. Why not include the ability to install on different drives?

128GB is a little small for a system drive.

If you are not familiar with directory junctions, it may be good time to learn about mklink.

Years ago, when faced with a full system drive, I moved "Cakewalk Content" to my D drive using this two-step process:

• Using Windows Explorer move "C:\Cakewalk Content" to "D:\Cakewalk Content"
  • Open a command shell as administrator and type mklink /j "C:\Cakewalk Content" "D:\Cakewalk Content"

This solution works for other programs as well.

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

A little small? My phone has a bigger micro SD card in it.

128GB is honestly plenty for me, I don't have any programs that can't be stored on my 2TB of hard drive space, well, except for this one.

Plus, the M.2 drive cost me a total of $0 to get, so I'm really not complaining about my 10 second boot times.

On 1/1/2022 at 7:22 AM, Spiriten said:

I'm really not complaining about my 10 second boot times.

The issue of working with a computer (in general) is not limited only to the speed of system loading, but also to the amount of free space on the system disk after installing the System (Windows) and all (!!!) programs that you use. This is important for the system to create a RAM-based virtual memory buffer. You can, of course, somehow work on a 128 GB disk, but practice has shown that this is enough only for the correct operation of Windows itself, and a set of utility programs that are not very heavy. To work with heavy and advanced multimedia programs, the manufacturers themselves indicate the minimum and recommended requisits, you yourself brought them. And this is done on the basis of their own measurements and checks.

In my experience, the minimum sufficient storage capacity of the SSD for stable reliable work with music programs should be at least 250 GB. I have a system and the first "working" volume - type NVMe, this is generally the best solution for this type of work. But for portable programs, or for libraries from virtual instruments (Kontakt etc.), for folders with projects and audio-video material, any other disk or the creation of sim-links is quite suitable.

Edited by IgoRr