God help me get Bandlab to launch

JeffSouth

Question

Never had a doblem on my win 7.  Got a new computer, win 10 home 64 bit.  When I install Cakewalk, I hit the shortcut after setting to run as admin.  Just the black Cakewalk screen comes up and it disappears quickly then nothing.  When installing it it there was an error saying Overloud file could not install and that it couldn't find the file.  I hit skip though it said not recommended.   Not sure if that's what is causing this. 

But Bandlab won't allow me to run the installer as admin, it automatically starts the install.   I never get a chance to run an actually installer manually and set it to run as admin.  I am going out of my mind here.  I uninstalled assistant and Bandlab already and downloaded fresh, same error on the Overloud file.  

I tried renaming the Cakewalk folder to BAC in appdata roaming, it did bring up a screen with the black Cakewalk screen and they both disappeared quickly after showing.

Please help me.

Gonna run the check disk anyway, but seems like I would have had problems with other installation s too.

Just ran it and it did say fixing drive C but did it really fast and finished.  

Now the same thing is happening while trying to setup my T-racks 5, same issue, 

An error occured while trying to create a file in the destination directory 

Setup was unable to create the directory 

😄 users guitar documents Ik multimedia 

Error 2 the system cannot find the file.  This is some kind of Win 10 thing not allowing programs to make a folder in the users folder.  I have my account security slider all the way down.  I turned off windows defender firewall.

What in the world is going on?

Gonna run the check disk anyway, but seems like I would have had problems with other installation s too.

Just ran it and it did say fixing drive C but did it really fast and finished.  

Now the same thing is happening while trying to setup my T-racks 5, same issue, 

An error occured while trying to create a file in the destination directory 

Setup was unable to create the directory 

😄 users guitar documents Ik multimedia 

Error 2 the system cannot find the file.  This is some kind of Win 10 thing not allowing programs to make a folder in the users folder.  I have my account security slider all the way down.  I turned off windows defender firewall.

What in the world is going on?

Exactly which build is your windows 10

For instance, mine is specifically 21H1 build 19043.1415

You have not said whether you have done the updates.

Did the machine come with Windows 10 pre-installed or did you do the installation yourself from scratch.

I have had Windows 10 since mid 2017, and I have never had these installation issues with any program at all on my Windows 10 PC. 

Something is definitely janky with that install.

I GOT IT.

I had to turn off REAL TIME PROTECTION!!!

I had done this before but it says it is only temporary and it had turned on again.  There is a section that says "Controlled folder access".  It says that real time protection has to be on to use it and it was back on.  I turned it off and T racks installed perfectly.  Jeez this win 10 virus stuff is maddening, not to mention all the permission crap to delete folders.

I had been using an old drive that used to be a win 7 system drive.  I sold the laptop, mounted the drive in a USB external drive and never formatted it.  I had files stored on it and the old windows folder, users folder, and the program files folders were using up a ton of space.  So I tried to delete the.  Win 10 nor win 7 would let me.  I tried everything, adding permissions, all kinds of stuff.  Finally I had to spend a long while copying my files over to another drive and just formatted the drive, then had to copy all my files back over to it, it took hours.

This permission crap is just insane.  

But anyway, for anyone in the future having this problem, go in to the security section and turn off real TIME PROTECTION, that damn folder access thing will probably be on with it.  Wow what a long day screwing with this.

Once you get everything set up, realtime protection will turn itself back on. It's very difficult to disable, and unfortunately, scanning a file every time it's read or written eats up resources and hurts performance.

But you can go into your Windows settings and exclude various directories from realtime scanning. I do it with my plug-ins and Cakewalk projects folders, as well as the Cakewalk program folder.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:36 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Once you get everything set up, realtime protection will turn itself back on. It's very difficult to disable, and unfortunately, scanning a file every time it's read or written eats up resources and hurts performance.

But you can go into your Windows settings and exclude various directories from realtime scanning. I do it with my plug-ins and Cakewalk projects folders, as well as the Cakewalk program folder.

Doesn't turn itself back on here, and hasn't for 2 years since I installed Windows 10.  But I think I may have killed it via Policy Editor.

15 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Doesn't turn itself back on here, and hasn't for 2 years since I installed Windows 10.  But I think I may have killed it via Policy Editor.

I did the policy editing trick, added the registry keys and all that, and it worked for a long time. But damned if a Windows update forced it back on.

I finally added a reg key that killed Windows Defender entirely, which I didn't want to do because it also killed the ability to scan on demand.

What I want is an anti-malware solution that never does real-time scanning, yet allows me to do scheduled scans and ad-hoc single file scans. I had that with Defender for a long time.

I've been using computers online for 35 years (including BBSing) without any real time scanning and have contracted exactly 3 bits of malware, none of which caused any data loss. The last one was 20 years ago (and I should have known better). I achieve this by practicing safe computing: I never open executable email attachments, and only download from sites I trust. If I'm ever in doubt, I scan the single file. From time to time I run Malwarebytes ad hoc, and it never finds anything.

This is why Microsoft's treating their entire user base as if we're all gullible and sloppy infuriates me. I get that their zillions of seats in businesses around the globe are often occupied by....less savvy users, but if someone's got enough chops to enable Group Policy Editor and use it, it's safe to say that they knew the risk even if they do get into trouble.

Anti-virus "solutions" commit most of the sins that people attribute to computer viruses: slow the system down, display annoying pop-ups, very difficult to remove, block legitimate software from running....

Edited by Starship Krupa