"Winterset" piano / downtempo / chill

PhonoBrainer

Stunning visuals Tom, every inch a modern classic, a hint of Einaudi about it at the start.

Loved the change of pace at about 2:50, I guess part of me wanted the piano to come back in - if only because I am such a fan of your mastery in that department - but that hardly counts as a crit.

Peerless as always - have a great New Year.

Andy

• Like 1

Very nice Tom.
Beautiful... sounds great on my Focals.
Which felt piano is that?
I also recognise some of the samples.

I live in Norway so no all about winter in fact I haven't been in long as I have been snow ploughing.

Edited by garybrun

Tom, some very interesting form choices in this one . . . yeah, I love that chord progression, piano chilled me right out . . . hope you didn't overpay the drummer for his brief appearance in the middle, then you take it orchestral, with some bending . . . just great stuff ! Oh . . . and thanks for that fade out ending, where you remind us that the problems of reality are still existing. I found that very interesting, when music speaks to you like that.

I especially like the overall concept you've accomplished in this piece, cool and unpredictable as always . . . I haven't ventured to the video yet, just savoring that for another day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jack c. said:

gorgeous.jack c.

Thanks, Jack!

5 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Stunning visuals Tom, every inch a modern classic, a hint of Einaudi about it at the start.

Loved the change of pace at about 2:50, I guess part of me wanted the piano to come back in - if only because I am such a fan of your mastery in that department - but that hardly counts as a crit.

Peerless as always - have a great New Year.

Andy

Thanks so much Andy! I figured if a song is this slooooow, there should be cool things to look at. I appreciate your comments greatly, and I hope you have an excellent music-filled year as well!!!

4 hours ago, garybrun said:

Very nice Tom.
Beautiful... sounds great on my Focals.
Which felt piano is that?
I also recognise some of the samples.

I live in Norway so no all about winter in fact I haven't been in long as I have been snow ploughing.

Gary, thanks, and I bet your winters are friggin' awesome. The piano is three instruments playing similar but not identical parts.

The main felt all the way through is the Woodchester piano, which has a fantastic woody tone, that unfortunately comes with a huge raspy hammer-hitting-felt sizzle for each note, around 8 kHz I think. I had to come to terms with a big eq dip there to cut out the stupid fuzz rattle on each hit.

To fill that 8hz hole back in, I duplicated the Woodcester track with a Noire felt, which also brought along some bass sustains that were pretty cool.

LAstly, the upper, more melodic "bell" tone that comes in is the Atelier piano., for just the melody lines really.

All of this got a bit thick in the mix but it's all good I think. It could be a bit cleaner below 500k but hey.

thanks for the comments, Gary, and the subscribe, much obliged!

2 hours ago, noynekker said:

Tom, some very interesting form choices in this one . . . yeah, I love that chord progression, piano chilled me right out . . . hope you didn't overpay the drummer for his brief appearance in the middle, then you take it orchestral, with some bending . . . just great stuff ! Oh . . . and thanks for that fade out ending, where you remind us that the problems of reality are still existing. I found that very interesting, when music speaks to you like that.

I especially like the overall concept you've accomplished in this piece, cool and unpredictable as always . . . I haven't ventured to the video yet, just savoring that for another day.

Awesome, glad you liked it Noynekker!!! The ending works for me as well in a kind of "return to reality" to which we all must, eventually.  I've always liked random radio chatter as a sound source, like "Windpower" by Thomas Dolby. Cool stuff that.  Appreciate the remarks!

To fill that 8hz hole back in, I duplicated the Woodcester track with a Noire felt, which also brought along some bass sustains that were pretty cool.

I recognised the Noire as I have that...  but dint know how you got you "pianos" to sound that way and couldn't work it out!
I would never have thought about blending 3.. learnt something new today  🙂

• Like 1

were those animations or real images that were made-to-look like animations?  liked your use of transitions, I've never seen some of those.  You created a nice icey atmosphere with the suspended notes at the end.  The static was a unique outro.  what does phonobrainer mean? 

Edited by David Sprouse

"Chill" is right. Really like the mood of the piece, like everything has slowed down as winter takes over and you have to adjust yourself to the season.
The static at the end brought to mind some lonely guy stuck in a cabin trying to tune in a radio to hear a human voice. Well, probably just me thinking that.
-Bjorn

• Like 1

This mix  is a perfect balance of elements. Whatever you did with those pianos works. Would make a good backdrop mix simply because it does not have any harshness whatsoever. You seemed to have gone for the intimate mix which the pianos work well for.

The video is great. I could see some kind of words on the screen.

Nice work!

On 12/31/2021 at 3:55 PM, mark skinner said:

Beautiful chilly way to start the new year.  Awesome ..   Great job on the video  , the opening set up and credits was Very impressive..          Loved it ,  Thanks  ..  mark

Thanks Mark, I sweated the intro to the vid quite a bit, glad it went over well. Chilly, indeed, friggin' freezin! Thanks for the time and the listen . . .

On 1/1/2022 at 6:58 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

Ah - it was so relaxing - excellent composition and a really impressive mix - you definitely know what your doing mix-wise. What stood out to me was your reverb treatment in this - it was spot-on.

I enjoyed the video as well - nicely done.

Thanks Douglas! I appreciate the kudos, put as I listen to the mix I can still hear things I'd shake up or try to improve! Gotta let it go, life's to short to split that 99th hair out of 100. Thanks for the comments!

On 1/2/2022 at 5:58 PM, DeeringAmps said:

+1 to that.

Lovely on all fronts!

👍's

t

Really appreciate that, Tom! Many thanks!

• Like 1