Prochannel modules ever to be released again?

I once missed out on a special sale on the Cakewalk site. I believe all you had to do was register for something, and you'd get the CA-2A Prochannel plugin for free. Next thing you know, Cakewalk goes bust, gets sold and the shop is closed.

I was wondering if any of the add-on Prochannel modules were gonna be made available again for purchase / download?

Seems Bandlab has been quiet on this end (correct me if wrong). 

Edited by Bryan van Putten
typo. models ==> modules
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris Jones said:

Not to hijack thread or nothing, but real quick.. For those who used ProChannel, how did it stack up against Waves' SSL E-Channel? I have that Waves strip so I never messed w/ ProChannel, but I always wondered how it compared. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2191653&p=1

Could also put some white noise / sine wave through them and compare them on an analyzer to get a bit more scientific idea of their differences. I'm sure there are far more experienced people here who could help out more.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:36 PM, Chris Jones said:

For those who used ProChannel, how did it stack up against Waves' SSL E-Channel? I have that Waves strip so I never messed w/ ProChannel, but I always wondered how it compared

Cakewalk includes ProChannel as a feature, so you can easily find out for yourself by getting your own free copy and trying it.

But as far as "stacking up," they're two different things. The Waves plug-in is an emulation of a hardware console strip and ProChannel is a plug-in module system. It's like asking "how does VST3 stack up against a hardware Distressor?"

I've never used the Waves emulation, but I've used other emulations of the SSL channel strip and given the choice between what is available in the current ProChannel system vs. any SSL strip clone, for me, hands-down give me the ProChannel.

The ProChannel comes with your choice of a convolution reverb, algo reverb, 1176-type compressor, SSL-type bus compressor, emulation of 3 different consoles including the SSL, tube saturation, 4-curve plus hi and lo pass analyzer/parametric EQ, tape machine emulation, a collection of 8 single knob FX similar to the Waves Single Knob FX that includes a gate, reverb, tremolo and transient shaper, and if you go to their sites and register for free you can get Softube's Saturation Knob and Boz Digital's Bark of Dog modules.

The Waves plug-in has EQ, a compressor, and a gate/expander.

This comparison suggests that ProChannel would be more versatile.

Sonically, I'm pretty blown away by the modules that come with Cakewalk, but again, never tried the Waves SSL plug-in and matters of taste are what they are.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The ProChannel is a bit novelty at this point considering it's nothing more than an Fx bin but, that is no longer supported by the 3rd party vendors since the acquisition.  These vendors now offer those plug ins freely as inserts but for anyone who has the module versions find themselves having to chose between the updated insert and the outdated module.  

However, there is the Fx Chain module which allows one to design their own fully automated GUI module for any plug in and chain which for me is pretty brilliant and the greatest function of the Fx module, along with the console & dynamics emulation processing.  The EQ is good for console like processing but it is fussy and a distraction in many cases.

So much potential for PC and considering how often it is advertised as a feature worthy of one's attention and praise, it is by now a unnecessary feature without any 3rd party vendor support.  

i am very much open for any corrections on any misunderstandings I may have on the matter!

• Like 1

The ssl style buss comp is marvelous and works close enough to the real thing.  I’ve never used the waves comp, tho.  As for the rest off the pro channel ssl modules, I’ll have to go back and listen more.  I seldom use the eq because the pc eq is so useful.