Just a thought....

cclarry

I like the idea because I definitely have more faith in buying from software hoarders we know and love like Bapu and Larry than sketchy Russian bots on kvr. At the same time, the same reasons I would rather buy from people I have posted with for years is the exact same reason Bandlab may have for not opening door to such elements. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mibby said:

I've only ever bought one thing over on KVR and that was from Lars.  :) 

This seems like a good idea, although, the potential customers here would be a MUCH  harder sell since we are better educated on the current deals and freebies...  ;) 

The only used sample library I've ever bought was from Larry and I'm kicking myself now, because I forgot to ask him if there was a promo code.  

I kid. I  kid.  (Just about the promo code part. The rest is serious. )

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like the idea in theory.   I generally buy and sell on VI:Control.   It's been  great because I am selling and buying from people I "know" from their posts. That's a vote for how it could be a very good thing here.  And I think it's also true that I am more motivated to buy from somebody I know on VIC and like.  That would definitely happen here. Who wouldn't want to buy from Larry?

https://vi-control.net/community/forums/for-sale-music-gear-classifieds-free-service.66/

But there are rules on VIC. For example, you can only bump once a month. This keeps it fair and keeps out people who are running a 365 day a year store.  Mike Greene and his moderators do that.  Who would do that here?  How would it work?  Because if there aren't rules in place, the sharks will come.  

Another place I have used is Knobcloud.com.  There is no fee and try to provide some protections for you in selling.  They know the rules for selling software and won't let anybody offer to sell something where the developer doesn't allow it.

Here's their reselling information database, which is useful to have.

https://www.knobcloud.com/developer-database.php

The main problem with KnobCloud is it's relatively new and nobody knows about it.  I list everything but I've sold very little there.

466656575_KarlPilkington.jpg.981a004ff7fc335ee1090210d7685fa2.jpg

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

There is absolutely no way you can buy music software from a stranger online and know for sure you won't be ripped off.  There are too many scams. People buy with a phony credit card, sell a license and disappear.  When you find out your license is no good, it's too late.

That is why the idea of us selling only to each other is attractive. No outsiders.

Maybe we could have one secret post on this forum that only we know about.  Something with a headline that is easy to search for, and won't interest non-members.   It could be something like "Larry's Social Security Update" or "Bapu's latest Toontrack Purchase" or whatever.     When you want to shop, do a search. Or bookmark it. Anytime somebody adds something, the post would go to the front page.  We can police ourselves about the bumping.

This isn't ideal, and after awhile it might be a mess, but we could start a new one.

Sounds a bit like a cult or the Dark web. Not sure the mod would like it.

On 12/29/2021 at 2:58 PM, Bapu said:

But would some of the people THERE soon become some of the people HERE (unscrupulous humans being what they are)?

Yup. If you build it they will come. That could change the whole tone, and be a moderating nightmare imho.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 11:58 AM, Bapu said:

But would some of the people THERE soon become some of the people HERE (unscrupulous humans being what they are)?

Of course - give it a week or two after that feature is added.
Human nature being what it is maybe sooner.

I see it causing a loss of forum integrity.

• Like 1

Everyone's a prophet of gloom and doom...pretty sad...
no wonder this world is so messed up!

In SEVEN YEARS on KVR I've had ONE (1) bad experience, and even that
worked out in the end!  There are always going to be "Shysters" but running
to "safe spaces" certainly isn't the answer!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

There is absolutely no way you can buy music software from a stranger online and know for sure you won't be ripped off.  There are too many scams. People buy with a phony credit card, sell a license and disappear.  When you find out your license is no good, it's too late.

I have found that using PayPal and not using the Friends option is perhaps the best way, you pay a little more but it's like paying for insurance.
If seller won't cover the fees (insists on Friends option) I'll either cover them or steer clear.
I've had a couple of issues over the years - bogus listing, warez sold as legit, etc. but I've always (eventually) gotten my money back.
I realize that some areas have problems using PayPal but that doesn't invalidate it everywhere else. 

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 3

Mods have nothing to do with forum organization and features.

Here is a thread in the FAQ forum regarding community feedback.

My earlier posts were a little background info and my guess about BandLab's interest in creating a marketplace.

That said, I could be wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2