Sustain controller "lost" when I split Midi clips?

RICHARD HUTCHINS

Hi,

Latest problem for me; Often I split a Midi clip, say a piano part, and delete a chunk I didn't like. But I've noticed that the remaining clip which I retain, seems to lose its "memory" and for example the piano notes no longer have sustain on them. I can fix it by opening the Midi and manually dragging the sustain controls upwards, but this seems laborious. I know I am doing something wrong here but what? It seems the deleted clip was the one that controlled the original clip before it was split. But how to stop this command being lost?

The more I learn about CW the more I realise that all these little errors accumulate to take massive amounts of time out of the workflow, better spent recording! Thats a good thing in that I am learning lots but I still need hand holding, sorry!

Sure, when you delete a clip everything in the clip will be removed. You should be able to see in the PRV or Staff view where the sustains begin and end and choose a good place to split/delete. I wouldn't worry about that; I would just go into the Staff view and click in sustain where I wanted it. It doesn't make sense to have a bunch of pedal events just hanging around not doing anything. Next thing you know they're knocking off the liquor store. 😁

Another way to explain this: sustain pedal is usually controlled by cc64. Is an on-off kind of controller.

Your piano VST instrument "reads" this on-off, and if your CW is configured for searching for past midi events (see picture 1), it will read the last On or Off command.

It means that if you split a midi clip, and at the point of split cc64 was off, the following clip will resume as pedal off. So, after splitting, make sure that you update the cc64 as you need (may be inserting another cc64 even when you need). See pic 2.

Hope this makes sense!!

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

• Like 1