Occasional Lockups in Cakewalk

RexRed

I am not writing this as an outright criticism of Cakewalk just to get feedback from others who may experience this same thing. I would never even dream of using another DAW than Cakewalk.

Every project I make has occasional lockups where the Cakewalk program will stop responding. I also have experienced program lockups in Studio One so this in not specific to Cakewalk. But I do not experience the same lockups ever in Adobe Premiere when I am working with both audio and video. Premiere may freeze and halt for a moment but it always comes back. But in Premiere I am usually only using one or two audio tracks.   

When Cakewalk locks-up, I have to restart it and unplug my audio interface a plug it back in several times until Cakewalk can detect it again.

First off, is this something others experience also? I have an Intel I9 12 core CPU with a fully updated version of Windows 10 and an Nvida 1080ti graphics card.

This lockup problem has occurred for many years on many different systems I have used with other audio interfaces also. My current audio interface is a Roland quad capture.

Lately it is usually when I am working with Melodyne studio when the program locks up. It is when I try and overlap Melodyne takes in the same track which is apparently a big no no.

I have often speculated as to why this occurs. Though the lockups can occur simply editing a midi track also.

I have sometimes thought it is a latency problem. It seems to happen when I have latency set really low. But it can happen when latency is high also. Latency might explain why it also happens in Studio One.

This makes me think that maybe I might need a USB 3.0 audio interface and that might correct this problem. It is always my audio interface that seems to go kaput.

Cakewalk "always" loses connection to my AI when the lockups occur. Am I overloading my USB bus?

But these lockups also happened when I had an Emu 1820M and X3 with an internal sound card...

These lockups have been happening for many years with other PC computer systems and older OS also.

I have also wondered if the lockups have been occurring because of a problem with the way history saves previous edits. The lockups seem to happen when I have not saved my work for a while so I lose a lot of progress. But they can happen when I do not have a long history also.

It could be a Windows problem and that is why it happened with Studio One... But this would have to be a very old Windows problem perhaps something to do with ASIO.

In order for it to be a history problem Studio One would have to have the same history architecture as Cakewalk and maybe that is because both programs are borrowing from a basic Windows history routine where Premiere seems to have come out of the Mac world.

I really don't know, but I would love to get this stabilized somehow. Is there someone out there who uses Cakewalk a lot on large projects and does not have Cakewalk lockups? Ever?

Let me know your own thoughts on this, thanks. 

Edited by RexRed

13 hours ago, RexRed said:

Lately it is usually when I am working with Melodyne studio when the program locks up. It is when I try and overlap Melodyne takes in the same track which is apparently a big no no.

Are you sure that it only happens when doing melodyne edits? There is a bug in Melodyne that we reported where making copies of melodyne clips could cause a crash/hang in Cbb if the melodyne UI was open when doing that. Thay have already fixed it for a subsequent release. If you have a reproducible case for editing with melodyne hanging CbB please send it to me and I can follow up on it with Celemony.

Are you running the latest version of Melodyne and the latest 05 release of CbB? A lockup can be caused by many reasons and even a plugin exception can lead to the symptom of the app hanging.  I doubt your hang issue is related to your audio interface or windows or your PC itself. When a program is hung and you terminate it abnormally from task manager I've seen some audio interfaces require an unplug and replug sequence. Many Roland drivers require this because they aren't properly handling dead processes.

If this is something that happens often try and find a common thread of operations or plugins. You can also save a dump file for a hung process from task manager itself - see picture. If you send us a zip of that dump file we can try and see what caused the hang.

taskmanager dump.png

I have the latest versions of Melodyne Studio and CBB.

Cakewalk has been locking up like this for years so your idea about it being a plugin is probably correct, I have tons of them installed. I am wondering if it is a plugin from X3 that perhaps is no longer compatible or another 3rd party plugin perhaps a 32bit plugin? Will a dump file tell you which module or plugin caused the lock up or is it sometime too vague to find out exactly what caused it?

I will create and send a dump file within a zip file. When should I create the dump file after a lock up or can I create it anytime? Will it keep a long history of past lock-ups?

Where do I send the dump file?

Thanks in advance for your help Noel.