Softube Amp Room $41

mcmd

1 hour ago, LAGinz said:

whether, even at this price, it’s worth it for another big  CPU hit plug-in.

6 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

FWIW.. Softube BB can load in standalone mode in the DAW and use a lot less resources than AT5.

The "qualifier" here is Tele did say "in standalone mode".
I'll try and get back with some analysis before the deadline...

t

• Like 1

Given the deal, I demo-ed this... wanting to like it. Nope. For whatever reason, I just don't jell with Softube amp sims, no matter what I do. As for Amp Room, to my ears, AT5 is a superior package, top to bottom. It's good to read that it works for some people though. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LAGinz said:

IS IT worth it for another big  CPU hit plug-in.

The old Cat here in the office is getting long in the tooth. But she runs multiple instances of S-Gear and Amp 5 with no issues.
Amp Room is definitely NOT to her liking. Drives the GUI batty!

4 hours ago, fitzroy said:

I just don't jell with Softube, to my ears, AT5 is a superior package

There's some tone here (amp room), but it all comes down to how it works for you (meaning vous, as in all of you/us).

t

• Like 1

Sooo…. I just tried Amp Room on my Studio One 5.4  Pro (Windows 10 Pro)  rig and it uses a much smaller slice of CPU than the current version of AT5. (Peter-you guys have to fix this!).  Perhaps influenced by the rainy,  cold, meteorological malaise that is afflicting me in LA right now, I have succumbed to this deal (including Bluesbreaker) , with the SSL Drumstrip  thrown in for good measure. Out till 2022….. which hopefully is not a repeat of the last two years!!

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Amp Room uses a much smaller slice of CPU than the current version of AT5.

I just re-visted Amp Room vs AT5 (I am running 5.0.3). Set up two separate sessions, one running 3 instances of AT5 and one 3 instances of Amp Room.
For whatever reason, the old Cat is more "settled" this morning. I don't see a big difference.
I realize that AT5.0.3 is not the latest version, who needs X-Drive? Really? Who?

Demo it, as I said above, there's some tone there...
Only downer, its iLok, but for those who have/understand iLok (its a love/hate relationship) [I have no emoji for a shoulder shrug]...

t

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

I just re-visted Amp Room vs AT5 (I am running 5.0.3). Set up two separate sessions, one running 3 instances of AT5 and one 3 instances of Amp Room.
For whatever reason, the old Cat is more "settled" this morning. I don't see a big difference.
I realize that AT5.0.3 is not the latest version, who needs X-Drive? Really? Who?

Demo it, as I said above, there's some tone there...
Only downer, its iLok, but for those who have/understand iLok (its a love/hate relationship) [I have no emoji for a shoulder shrug]...

t

post thy FX chain. Lets see . I did a but of tinkering this morning based on suggestion from another member and was getting around 7-8% CPU usage for a sound using a mix of Softube standalone and AT5 effects. 

• Thanks 2

each of the 3 Amp Room Chains were:

AMP - 1 BB & 2 Jubilee 
CABINET - 2-12 for the BB & White 4x12 for the Jubilees
                    Note here: where are the Pre-Rola & 25 Watt Greenbacks? Probably the "Marsahll" Room?
ROOM - Really the reason I "popped" for the Amp Room. Sunset and Fame are my goto on the Guitar Verb these days.
And I see emulated rooms, of course existing IR's are kind of that, but specific rooms being the next "thing"...

I also set the BB and Jubilee, standalone & routed to the Sunset Buss.

You're suggesting routing the BB and Jubilees to an instance of AT5 it seems.

t

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

each of the 3 Amp Room Chains were:

AMP - 1 BB & 2 Jubilee 
CABINET - 2-12 for the BB & White 4x12 for the Jubilees
                    Note here: where are the Pre-Rola & 25 Watt Greenbacks? Probably the "Marsahll" Room?
ROOM - Really the reason I "popped" for the Amp Room. Sunset and Fame are my goto on the Guitar Verb these days.
And I see emulated rooms, of course existing IR's are kind of that, but specific rooms being the next "thing"...

I also set the BB and Jubilee, standalone & routed to the Sunset Buss.

You're suggesting routing the BB and Jubilees to an instance of AT5 it seems.

t

I put AT5 in insert 1 and the Softube in insert 2. I have been using the room mics in Softube for reverb. Didn't try using IK SSSR as reverb send. Will try it as I have that. I dont  have Fame  😞

• Like 1