issue using mlink to move Cakewalk Content

Pathfinder

So, years ago, I was shown how to use this comand - ·      mklink /j "C:\Cakewalk Content" "E:\Cakewalk Content" to move the Content folder to my sample disk, which is E:\Sample Disk.
Have a new build, cpu, nvme's, etc, etc. So the link is broken. First error said cannot create because folder already exists. So I took this to mean the Cakewalk Content folder on my E drive already was the issue (I originally did this in 2018) I need the CW Content folder on the E drive, the one on the C drive (which is the original C drive win 10 install from 2018) is incomplete to say the least. 
So now I am deleting the CC folder on the E drive (I have a copy now on the C drive because I just copied it there.

Still I get the message in Admin Command prompt "Cannot create a file when that file already exists" ????

Is thiere a reference to the mlink in the reg that I need to delete or something because it definitely does NOT exist on the E drive anymore-even did disk cleanup to make sure it was gone? 

Help please. 

Edited by Pathfinder

First physically move not copy "C:\Cakewalk Content" to "E:\Cakewalk Content"

This 

22 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

"Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

is telling you "C:\Cakewalk Content" already exists.

When creating a directory junction, the name used for the junction cannot already exist on disk.

If "C:\Cakewalk Content" was copied to "E:\Cakewalk Content", delete "C:\Cakewalk Content" then issue the mklink command again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scook said:

First physically move "C:\Cakewalk Content" to "E:\Cakewalk Content"

This 

is telling you "C:\Cakewalk Content" already exists.

When creating a directory junction, the name used for the junction cannot already exist on disk.

Hi Scook,

So do you mean I need to change the name of the C:\Cakewalk Content folder?

Sorry I did NOT se the first part of your reply. So I need to copy or MOVE? to E drive. Obviously I am not understanding the mlink command

Edited by Pathfinder

To relocate "C:\Cakewalk Content" to "E:\Cakewalk Content"

1. Using Windows Explorer MOVE "C:\Cakewalk Content" to "E:\Cakewalk Content"
  2. Open a command shell as administrator and type: mklink /j "C:\Cakewalk Content" "E:\Cakewalk Content"
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scook said:

To relocate "C:\Cakewalk Content" to "E:\Cakewalk Content"

1. Using Windows Explorer MOVE "C:\Cakewalk Content" to "E:\Cakewalk Content"
  2. Open a command shell as administrator and type: mklink /j "C:\Cakewalk Content" "E:\Cakewalk Content"

Moving it now. So the Cakewal Content folder gets recreated on the C drive by CW at some point? Because it was there. I did this years ago and I believe you are he one that helped me do it. I never created the folder on the C drive

Edited by Pathfinder

The mklink command creates a directory junction called "C:\Cakewalk Content" pointing to "E:\Cakewalk Content"

It cannot do it if "C:\Cakewalk Content" still exists.

Just like you cannot have to folders the same name, two files the same name or a folder and a file the same name, a directory junction must be unique.

Mklink does not move data, it simply creates an entry on the disk pointing to something else.

• Like 1

Well it said it created the link and it is there on the C drive. I guess maybe I need to change the paths in register or something. which I can do. Because when I try to open, say a pro channel preset it goes to the user folder etc, etc cakewalk core

Never mind, I guess change all the paths in the folder location prefs? too late for this stuff. I'll give up for now.

I have done all this before, paths, etc so I'll tackle it tomorrow. Thank You for your help. At least the directory is created properly.

Edited by Pathfinder

all my paths in folder locations are pointing here : C:\Users\Frankl\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

I never touched them All I did was move the sample folder which contains the cakewalk content folder to a new nvme m.2, nothing else.??? I use CW everyday, so I don't get the changes

Edited by Pathfinder

"C:\Users\Frankl\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" is not "C:\Cakewalk Content" that is "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" (AKA the user directory). By default, there are paths pointing to both in "Folder Locations" but the bulk of the data is in "Cakewalk Content", by default.

The default paths should look something like this from http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x201D9

Dialogs2.062.1.png

10 minutes ago, scook said:

That is not "C:\Cakewalk Content" that is "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" (AKA the user directory). There are paths pointing to both but the bulk of the data is in "Cakewalk Content", by default.

The default paths should look something like this from http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x201D9

Dialogs2.062.1.png

They don't but I can change them. They are ALL pointing to the same place? That is weird because like I said before I did the new build (2 days ago) everything in cw worked perfectly. iirc when I first did the mlink stuff years ago I did have to change some paths. Thanks so much for your help as always.
I I do not get it tomorrow I'll post back.

If the items in the image above that point to "C:\Cakewalk Content\..." point somewhere else, then one needs to review the content in those folders as it may be newer. 

Assuming "C:\Cakewalk Content" was fully populated and the files also exist in the user directory your PC has at least 2 copies of "Cakewalk Content".

So just wanted to post back. I did have to go into the register to change Pro Channel preset path-but I remember having to do that before-years ago again.

All others in folder locations were just logical and easy.

All seems OK now that I have got the folder locations set correctly.
Thank You Scook..............