I am OFFICIALLY OLD!

cclarry

I too, am getting old.

What little hair I have left is graying.

My eyes and ears don't work as well as they used to.

Love handles and man boobs are the new norm.

My hips and knees ache from walking up stairs.

But, BUT, in spite of all that, I have the prostate of a 12 year old boy.....

....I keep it in a jar on my living room mantle!

• Haha 4

On 12/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, Bapu said:

There are no facts in a world where everyone's opinion is stated as a fact.

Here's the thing tho......

Why do some people get all worked up about other people because they think that their opinion is correct ?

Does anybody actively decide to have an opinion that they don't think is correct ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paulo said:

Here's the thing tho......

Why do some people get all worked up about other people because they think that their opinion is correct ?

Does anybody actively decide to have an opinion that they don't think is correct ?

We, being only flesh, form our opinions mostly by our "indoctrination" and "experience" and those "opinions" may, or may not, actually be "factual"!
We fail to grasp the concept that facts don't require us to believe in them...they exist outside of "opinion and belief"! 
The big problem is that most people don't want "facts"!  They want what THEY PERCEIVE as
facts to be reinforced by "external sources"!  Hence why most, even when provided with UNQUESTIONABLE FACTS, will 
reject those facts - because that information doesn't "reinforce" their own "perception of the facts"!

Truth is truth..it has no pre-requisite for ANYONE to believe it.   It's TRUTH!  The problem
comes when "humans" relay that information to one another, where it get's "molded" into a "narrative"
that supports our personal "perception", rather than what is factually accurate.

To quote:  Truth, after all, is so poorly lit

As an example:

Two people see an accident between a red car and blue car.  One person is on one side of the accident, and is POSITIVE that 
the blue car is at fault.  The other person, having seen it from a "different perspective", is POSITIVE that they red car is at fault.
BOTH believe that their "perspective" is FACTUAL!  However, NEITHER have considered ALL of the variables, but have 
passed judgement based solely on their "visual perspective and perception" but not on "Facts"!

Hopefully that makes it understandable why it is SO IMPERATIVE that things be INVESTIGATED, and ALL possible known 
information be considered, BEFORE we draw any "conclusions" and decide what is "Factual"!  Otherwise it's just a "self-reinforced delusion"!

And THIS is WHY we have what we have TODAY!  Politics and the Media have become about "molding narratives to
shape the perception of reality, and controlling the masses", rather than about what is FACTUALLY ACCURATE!

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Eppur si muove!

The Maures done that in spain when christians done a real massacre on Muslims and Jews during the re conquista , they then dissapered (Assassin Creed is a great movie to feel the atmosphere at that place and time ) ... so it might be a temporary solution (Eppur si muove) , but you're in fact helping the move ... not giving resistance

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

Truth is truth..it has no pre-requisite for ANYONE to believe it.   It's TRUTH!  The problem
comes when "humans" relay that information to one another, where it get's "molded" into a "narrative"
that supports our personal "perception", rather than what is factually accurate.

To quote:

“You may remember the story of how the devil and a friend of his were walking down the street, when they saw ahead of them a man stoop down and pick up something from the ground, look at it, and put it away in his pocket. The friend said to the devil, “What did that man pick up?” “He picked up a piece of Truth,” said the devil. “That is a very bad business for you, then,” said his friend. “Oh, not at all,” the devil replied, “I am going to let him organize it." 

I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystallized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others. This is what everyone throughout the world is attempting to do. Truth is narrowed down and made a plaything for those who are weak, for those who are only momentarily discontented. Truth cannot be brought down, rather the individual must make the effort to ascend to it. You cannot bring the mountain-top to the valley. If you would attain to the mountain-top you must pass through the valley, climb the steeps, unafraid of the dangerous precipices. 

— Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 2:15 PM, cclarry said:

As of today, I can OFFICIALLY draw Social Security, the pre-requisite to being OLD!
First check arrives on February 23rd, and it can't come soon enough!  The past few
years have been REALLY ROUGH!  So...YAY!

Congrats! I passed that milestone several years ago, waiting until I was 66 so I could continue to work if/when needed. All I can say is...it is a good thing, and you will appreciate it, whatever the size of the monthly check, because we paid into it all these years. Now go do what you wanna do....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 2:48 PM, cclarry said:

No worries there...I couldn't get hired when I was in my 50's...and have multiple degrees and Certifications...
so I'm good!  I've been living on $180 a month for 5 years...so this will be like being RICH LOL!

I hear ya...man, that is unbelievable how you survived on that income--no wonder you are the King of the bargains....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

We, being only flesh, form our opinions mostly by our "indoctrination" and "experience" and those "opinions" may, or may not, actually be "factual"!
We fail to grasp the concept that facts don't require us to believe in them...they exist outside of "opinion and belief"! 
The big problem is that most people don't want "facts"!  They want what THEY PERCEIVE as
facts to be reinforced by "external sources"!  Hence why most, even when provided with UNQUESTIONABLE FACTS, will 
reject those facts - because that information doesn't "reinforce" their own "perception of the facts"!

To quote:  Truth, after all, is so poorly lit

As an example:

Two people see an accident between a red car and blue car.  One person is on one side of the accident, and is POSITIVE that 
the blue car is at fault.  The other person, having seen it from a "different perspective", is POSITIVE that they red car is at fault.
BOTH believe that their "perspective" is FACTUAL!  However, NEITHER have considered ALL of the variables, but have 
passed judgement based solely on their "visual perspective and perception" but not on "Facts"!

Hopefully that makes it understandable why it is SO IMPERATIVE that things be INVESTIGATED, and ALL possible known 
information be considered, BEFORE we draw any "conclusions" and decide what is "Factual"!  Otherwise it's just a "self-reinforced delusion"!

And THIS is WHY we have what we have TODAY!  Politics and the Media have become about "molding narratives to
shape the perception of reality, and controlling the masses", rather than about what is FACTUALLY ACCURATE!

Thanks for the lecture....😀

My point (joke) was that a person castigating someone just for thinking their opinion is always correct, regardless of topic, is like them saying that they don't believe their own opinions.

BTW...

Why do people say IMO after they say something?  We already figured that. We didn't assume that you were giving someone else's opinion. 😀

• Haha 2

Just now, paulo said:

Thanks for the lecture....😀

My point (joke) was that a person castigating someone just for thinking their opinion is always correct, regardless of topic, is like them saying that they don't believe their own opinions.

BTW...

Why do people say IMO after they say something?  We already figured that. We didn't assume that you were giving someone else's opinion. 😀

No lecture...just pointing out the obvious that most overlook, and which explains the WHY
of your question!