Superior Drummer 3 question

Zo

Guyz  , for all owners ,  i'm seriously thinking of getting SD 3 , not for the sounds but for this superb playground , my question is using my own samples , are we able to create a kit from scratch (blank page ) and add items or do we have to start from a kit and replace stuff ?

If i want 3 kiks 3 snares , can i display 3 kick and 3 snare and layout them how i want ?

Thks 

Edited by Zo
  • Haha 1

Hi, Zo.

As far as I know, you'll have to start with a kit, and replace the items.

I have however not tried to make my own kits, as I've gotten the sound I've wanted from the kits I have. So it might be doable. Just need someone with more knowledge than I have in that field.

All the best.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zo said:

Guyz  , for all owners ,  i'm seriously thinking of getting SD 3 , not for the sounds but for this superb playground , my question is using my own samples , are we able to create a kit from scratch (blank page ) and add items or do we have to start from a kit and replace stuff ?

If i want 3 kiks 3 snares , can i display 3 kick and 3 snare and layout them how i want ?

Thks 

You always start with a ready made kit, but you could remove all the instruments from a kit, save it and then use that as a future template.

As far as I can tell you can't change the layout of a kit. You can't move the instruments around, and if a kit has one kick drum and you add another one, it is displayed on a sidebar as a sort of a icon. So if you want the image of the kit to represent the actual instruments it has, you need to find a matching kit and start with that.

I think you can import your own samples to SD but there are some limitations with them, like being able to use just a single velocity layer, for example. I have never tried it so I can't say for sure how it works.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Do you have Kontakt or Battery?

yep but really SD3 seems deep and more powerfull for drums ..

In knotakt fro exemple i have to layer drums and select velocity i want to place them ect...here just the velocity gate makes it fast and easier (on the eyes) insetad of working in kontakt ...funny you talk about it , i was cursing all this afternoon liteerally because of kontakt being 20 f...years old and no f .... resize !!!!, i'm skipping superb libraries (was working on gamelan samplelogic and some heavyocity stuff and said just make your own player and move on)

5 minutes ago, Zo said:

yep but really SD3 seems deep and more powerfull for drums ..

In knotakt fro exemple i have to layer drums and select velocity i want to place them ect...here just the velocity gate makes it fast and easier (on the eyes) insetad of working in kontakt ...funny you talk about it , i was cursing all this afternoon liteerally because of kontakt being 20 f...years old and no f .... resize !!!!, i'm skipping superb libraries (was working on gamelan samplelogic and some heavyocity stuff and said just make your own player and move on)

You will not be disappointed if you go for it. I can (almost certainly) guarantee it.

I'll never go to another drum software again, after getting SD3.

• Like 4

As usual i listen to everybody and was rechecking Battery 3 and it has a better velocity handling than kontakt , mmmm interesting  ...oh battery still not resible as all NI stuff ....

In this exemple , my 707 SD is full range , and when i hit hard , from 96 to 127  you'll here SD 4 added ....

image.png.bafa23f5c7f41e8b2eef2d658248f493.png

Edited by Zo

Just now, Zargg said:

Is it possible to demo Superior Drummer 3 as well (I saw you demoed EZ Keys)?

If so, I would.

nope , they def should allow , if for exemple no possibility to save anything or some ....every video i see is man doing "regular "stuff , no geeky stuff around ....

Youtube is starting to become like my garage : a mess !

1 hour ago, Zo said:

nope , they def should allow , if for exemple no possibility to save anything or some ....every video i see is man doing "regular "stuff , no geeky stuff around ....

Youtube is starting to become like my garage : a mess !

Indeed they should. Would sell more if that were the case. Not many would (if money allows) stop using it after the demo, and instead buy SD3.

Edited by Zargg
Spelling

10 hours ago, Zo said:

Guyz when you select add instruments (let's say kick) does't it create another kick pic on the kick or some ?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but here's an image of a default kit with 7 extra kick drums (shown on the left side of the screen). Does that answer your question?

sd-with-extra-kicks.thumb.jpg.b54e1708d4569c2aae8b401efa71b1d5.jpg

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but here's an image of a default kit with 7 extra kick drums (shown on the left side of the screen). Does that answer your question?

sd-with-extra-kicks.thumb.jpg.b54e1708d4569c2aae8b401efa71b1d5.jpg

Totally , can you show me when you insert several different type of electronic stuff (just to see if we reconise an electronic hh from an electro kick , snare , clap ect or is it the same generic pic for all ...

So basically the choice of the original starting kit is crucial right ? 

3 hours ago, Zo said:

Totally , can you show me when you insert several different type of electronic stuff (just to see if we reconise an electronic hh from an electro kick , snare , clap ect or is it the same generic pic for all ...

As far as I can tell different electric instruments look all the same, but I think it also depends on the original kit. In the image below the two top snares on the left are electric snares from the superior drummer basic library. The two electric snares below them are snares from Hip-Hop EZX. The hi-hat and the snare in the kit have also been replaced with electric ones.

sd-metal-machinery.thumb.jpg.f85ffcb56a572232c877786184de4d73.jpg

I should point out that nothing prevents you from replacing a cymbal with a kick drum, for example. It works like you'd expect. The only difference is that if SD doesn't have an appropriate image for the instrument for the location, it displays a generic electric instrument instead. So in the example you'd see a black electric cymbal instead of a kick drum.

3 hours ago, Zo said:

So basically the choice of the original starting kit is crucial right ? 

If you want to match the instruments you use with the kit image as closely as possible, then yes. If that is your goal then for electronic music something like Hip-Hop EZX might be a better option, because it has 16 pads you can use to place the instruments in a way that makes sense to you.

sd-hip-hop-ezx.thumb.jpg.b9f6abb44e7efb30d189b9bbfd0d13b3.jpg

But in the end it's all cosmetic and no matter where the instruments are located or what they look like they work the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pseudopop said:

As far as I can tell different electric instruments look all the same, but I think it also depends on the original kit. In the image below the two top snares on the left are electric snares from the superior drummer basic library. The two electric snares below them are snares from Hip-Hop EZX. The hi-hat and the snare in the kit have also been replaced with electric ones.

sd-metal-machinery.thumb.jpg.f85ffcb56a572232c877786184de4d73.jpg

I should point out that nothing prevents you from replacing a cymbal with a kick drum, for example. It works like you'd expect. The only difference is that if SD doesn't have an appropriate image for the instrument for the location, it displays a generic electric instrument instead. So in the example you'd see a black electric cymbal instead of a kick drum.

If you want to match the instruments you use with the kit image as closely as possible, then yes. If that is your goal then for electronic music something like Hip-Hop EZX might be a better option, because it has 16 pads you can use to place the instruments in a way that makes sense to you.

sd-hip-hop-ezx.thumb.jpg.b9f6abb44e7efb30d189b9bbfd0d13b3.jpg

But in the end it's all cosmetic and no matter where the instruments are located or what they look like they work the same.

Thks , super helpfull , it s a shale you cannot choose a pic , it s as simple process to implement , the goal is to have a solid set of templates at start , for hip hop , pop modern producers having 3 or fours kicks snares et lyaed out and varing in song to recreate performances is common ....hence the scenario i m looking for ...

i also find the sdrummer pic sad on this black dark mood ... it really kills the vibe , that cosy vibe on the ezx hip hop for exemple ...

Edited by Zo
  • Like 1