Bar Number Offset

Tony Shaffer

I like to request this every year or so, hoping one day it will happen:

Bar Number Offset - so measure numbers can start at 0, -1, -2, etc. instead of 1.

I work from charts when recording, and if I have pickup notes or an intro or want to leave some pre-roll measures, my chart shows the verse begins on measure 1, but in Cake, I'm actually starting on measure 2, 3, 4, whatever. This makes it trickier than it needs to be to navigate to a measure while reading my chart, especially if songs actually start with a different number of measures prior to measure 1 in my chart.

I have to think this would also be helpful for those who don't use charts, being able to record something like a 12-bar song and easily navigating to the start/end of each section: bars 1, 12, 24, 36, 48, etc., while using pre-roll measures. (Note: this means the section of the song starts at the beginning of bar 1, ends at the end of bar 12.)

Steinberg Nuendo/Cubase also allows offsetting bar numbers within a project, which would be nice to have as well, but I'd be happy having this just at the beginning.

• Like 3