VST scan doesnt find STL Tonality plug in

I downloaded a demo version of this which I am keen to try and hopefully buy. I pointed it to Program Files / Cakewalk/ VST Plugins when I installed it. But running the scan doesnt seem to find it, its not on the list of plugins. As it quickly scans folders I reckon I can see the path briefly as it runs through them all, but nothing can be found. I am sure I'm doing something totally wrong and daft..ideas anyone?

No, I downloaded it but it requires a licence key, which of course I dont have as I have a demo. I am close to giving up and buying something else, the customer support seems rather too anxious to resolve the issue with one or two very brief lines of advice rather than a comprehensive reply. Not impressed at all so far.

I do  not have the plug-in and have not created an account to download the trial.

I found this in their FAQ

You do not need an activation code. Simply install the plug-in, when launching the plug-in for the first time within you DAW, the iLok window will open. Select the 'Try' option, hit next, enter your iLok login info, and you're good to go! 

My guess is since the iLok Manager was not running when the scanner tried to load the plug-in, it was placed in the excluded list. Once excluded a plug-in is unavailable. To complete the scan for this plug-in, open preferences, temporarily set the scanner to manual scan, enable Rescan Failed Plugins and run a scan. Once the scan is complete uncheck Rescan Failed Plugins and set the scan option back to your preferred setting.

• Great Idea 1

Hi

Yes thanks, that worked like a charm, and there sits the plug in, I can see it in plug in manager. But Cakewalk still doesnt want to use it; when I go to insert  menu / insert soft synth it isnt in the drop down  list. I tried going to properties and checking "enable as plug in" but still no joy. These are schoolboy problems I know but thats the level I am at sadly!

The plug-in is not a synth, it is an effect plug-in so it will be in the effect lists. It does not make sound on its own, it is a guitar ampsim/effects package.

Make sure to use one of the factory supplied "Sort By" lists or add the plug-in to the custom layout.

If using "Sort By Category" the plug-in may be in the Uncategorized folder.

The plug-in is shown in VST3 effects. Adding it to a project is the same as TH3 or TH-U which are also ampsim plug-ins.

Here is the help page for adding plug-in effects to projects. In addition to the method described in the help, effects plug-ins may be dragged from the browser into the FX Rack or ProChannel.

Glad you got it working.

Most manufacturers add tags to their VST3 plug-ins which CbB uses to categorize plug-ins.

When "Sort by Category" was added to SONAR, Cakewalk added a bunch of VST2 and DX plug-ins to the category database.

Plug-ins not found in the category database are added to the Uncategorized folder.

The plug-in category is maintained in the browser. The help about category maintenance starts here.

Thanks again everyone who helped. So, all is ok except; I have a guitar track which did rely on a plug in to get a decent sound. But the demo (TH3) got more and more difficult to use, i.e. 10 mins of saving then it went awol, etc I got the feeling they wanted to really make the demo progessively more tricky to use, all this did was annoy me and decide not to buy. Anyhow here I am with STL Tonality to try...fingers crossed. But the guitar track can be seen in the track pane, i.e. the waveform, but now...no sound...nada! Okay, schoolboy question, where has the sound gone?

One day I hope to record a song on this!

If the track plays without any plug-ins then the problem is the plug-in. I do not have STL Tonality so cannot guess what the issue is with the plug-in. It may be as simple as loading a preset.

BTW, TH3 Cakewalk is included with CbB, it does have a demo of the full TH3 but that does not need to be activated to use the TH3 Cakewalk features. In fact, there is no reason to activate the demo as TH3 is not sold by Overloud any more. It was replaced with TH-U.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here I am again asking for help!

I finally gave up with the STL Tonality plugin, too many problems to list and a very very  poor technical support, just brief desultory replies of no help, so I am not going to buy it.

Instead I decided to get THU Rock, and bought this plugin outright. But... so many problems. First it crashed with a fatal error so I removed the plugin and reinstalled it on my PC. This time Cakewalk doesn't crash, but it insists on looking for all of the plugins that are no longer there, ( Tonaity, demos etc etc)  and then tells me what I know, they are not there. Fair enough I can live with that. I cant however find my new plugin using the Plugin Manager, its nowhere to be seen. Obvs I've ran a scan and when Cakewalk loads it tells me there is a new plugin.

Help anyone?

To be honest all I really want to do is record my stuff before I reach the age of 108! 

54 minutes ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

Cakewalk doesn't crash, but it insists on looking for all of the plugins that are no longer there, ( Tonaity, demos etc etc)  and then tells me what I know, they are not there. Fair enough I can live with that.

I am guessing this means opening a project results in a missing plug-ins dialog because some of the plug-ins in the project have been uninstalled. If so, delete the plug-ins from the project and save the project or start a new project.

Any time a VST plug-in is added, updated or removed the vst scanner should be run to maintain the VST plug-in inventory. By default, this is automatically done any time something changes in the VST scan path. The scan frequency may be changed in preferences but for now, it may be a good idea use the default settings. The image in the preference link shows the default settings.

When a VST plug-in does not appear after a scan it is usually because

1) the plug-in dll/vst3 file was installed in a folder not in the scan path. This is the first thing to check. Most often the problem with VST2 dlls because there is no standard and a couple of conventions used for where these plug-ins should go. VST3 specifies where plug-ins should be installed so this is less of a problem with them.

2) the plug-in failed during scan. This is what happened initially happened STL Tonality. Plug-ins that fail to scan generally end up in the excluded list. Once the cause of the failure is resolved, manually running a scan with re-scan failed plug-ins enabled often results in the plug-in getting added to the VST inventory. Sometime it is necessary to run a VST reset, this clears the VST inventory and rebuilds it.

3) the plug-in shows up with an unexpected name or in an unexpected place in the plug-in lists. Some plug-ins have an identifier in the plug-in that differs from the name one expects to see. A VST3 plug-in may be tagged in a way that causes the plug-in to show up in an unexpected category. DX and VST plug-ins do not have a category designation by default (although Cakewalk did add some to their database for some plug-ins). Sometimes a plug-in gets identified as an effect when it is really a synth (this is a scan failure - fir this use VST reset) or as a synth when one expected it to show up as an effect (usually a design decision by the manufacturer). Searching the plug-in browser and using different "Sort By" layouts may help resolve these issues. When a plug-in shows up with an unexpected name (rare but does happen), Sort by Manufacturer may help. When a VST3 plug-in has an unexpected tag, searching in the browser and Sort by Manufacturer are good starting points. Also make sure to search and sort both effects and synth lists.

I do not have any of the Overloud THU series so cannot say if they show up as different plug-ins or are all the same plug-in with different feature sets. I know from the image above THU was listed at one time as a VST3 plug-in. It may work like TH3 Cakewalk. This plug-in uses the same name as the full product because it also contains a demo of the full product and could be coverted to the full product by adding the appropriate license (of course, the full product is no longer available from Overloud).