Kontakt won't release CW on exit

Andres Medina

Hi,

Lately, every time I use Kontakt (Kontakt 6) inside CW, I am unable to reopen CW after closing the DAW.

I see in Task Manager that CW running, so I end it manually and everything is fine, I can reopen CW. Only happens to me when using Kontakt.

I know that other users has reported similar behavior in CW, so I wonder if it can narrowed down to Kontakt?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm not seeing that issue here, either with the VST3 or VST2 version of Kontakt 6.

I guess it could be related to a specific Kontakt library ( i.e. if a particular Kontakt library crashes when releasing, it could stop the others from being released) , or just that if you've got a large number of libraries loaded it takes a while for them to be released?

Yes, I have actually seen that problem. But it was ages ago, probably Kontakt version 2 or 3. IIRC it did come down to a specific library, due to some corrupt samples preventing Kontakt from closing the files on exit.

That would have been the fault of the drive, though, not the library. If you do manage to track the problem down to a library, try renaming the folder and copying it to a new location on the drive, or a different drive if that's an option. That's something I've had to do on multiple occasions, but again long ago when disk drives were considerably less reliable than they are today.

1 hour ago, haydn12 said:

This has been an issue with Kontakt 6 for awhile with large sample libraries.  It doesn't like to release memory when you exit.  This happens in multiple DAWS for me and also in Vienna Pro.

Mhhh...!  I see...

I already tried everything: uninstalling and reinstalling both Kontakt and a couple of libraries. Doesn't work. It gets stucked.

Fortunately, the solution is simple, by ending the process on Task Manager.

Thanks for the info!

On 12/26/2021 at 2:58 PM, haydn12 said:

This has been an issue with Kontakt 6 for awhile with large sample libraries.  It doesn't like to release memory when you exit.  This happens in multiple DAWS for me and also in Vienna Pro.

Can you point to previous reports of this?

I only scan the Kontakt forum once in a while, but when I do I'm looking out for stuff like this - and I haven't seen any recent reports. There have been, however, multiple reports of long unload times (example).