Looped Recording (track lanes)

kevro2000

I'm suggesting a feature add that allows the looped recording to be limited to "x" number of times thru, and then stop or continue playing. I realize one can simply let the recording continue, and hit the stop button, then delete the lanes that I do not need. The difference is if I'm several yards away from the PC  and have the loop recording start, then I have remove headphones, walk back to PC and stop the recording. I'm thinking it would be very convenient to say that after 5 or however many takes I wanna try for, the recording simply stops, instead of creating a new lane (or more, depending on how short the loop is and how far away I'm from the PC)

Thanks,kwr

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

I don't think I know anyone without a smartphone or tablet except one very elderly relative in his 90's but they are very cheap now so there's no excuse. 

Not cheap enough for me. Samsung  Galaxy is worth about $100, and they want over $1200, then I have to pay for a plan? nope, not for me. 😁

22 hours ago, bdickens said:

Not having a cell phone, what's your plan if you are out and about and have some kind of emergency where you have to call an ambulance or the police or something?

My wife has an emergency mobile, and she keeps it with her. It was gifted to her and pre-paid. I do not use it, because when I *WOULD* want to use it, she is in the car with it. 🙄🤦‍♂️

The argument about the phone is pointless. Even if he had one he would have to use something like Touch DAW (which is what I use) and that can be difficult to get working right. 

The simplest workaround for now is a wireless keyboard. 

FWIW I like the idea of a fixed number of loops. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Tsao said:

Have you considered purchasing another wireless keyboard

Yes. I have had a wireless keyboard, and that worked great. It finally got to the point where several keys quit working.  The mouse that came with it also quit working after a while. On a limited budget these days, I'll not be purchasing a new keyboard/mouse. (yes, I'm that limited)

Being able to limit the # of loops automatically (and also, have transport auto-stop, too) would eliminate the awkwardness of holding a violin/viola and bow, and trying to tap the keyboard before another pass occurs. Its a momentary awkwardness, but would help eliminate breaking an expensive bow on a mic stand in the haste to shut the recording down.

I record in a small-ish space, and maneuvering around w/fiddle, or with guitar/bass strung over me, is a bit of a pain. Being able to limit the number of takes and stop transport automatically seems like something CW could handle pretty easily.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 12/27/2021 at 6:42 PM, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

I don't think I know anyone without a smartphone or tablet except one very elderly relative in his 90's but they are very cheap now so there's no excuse. 

I have an emergency cell phone available when I'm away from home.  It is not a smart phone.

Back to the original subject, a way to manually set the number of times a track loops while in record mode would be a nice feature to have available for use. 

The Boss digital recorder I use to have included a foot switch connection to remotely control the transport.  Foot switch transport control would be difficult to implement in a DAW so a feature that automates the process is the next, best thing.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 8:18 PM, bdickens said:

Not having a cell phone, what's your plan if you are out and about and have some kind of emergency where you have to call an ambulance or the police or something?

[Off Topic] Some of us have no need for a "Smart" phone with an unlimited phone and/or data plan for emergencies while away from a home landline. For some of us, a basic "Non-smart" flip phone with a grandfathered ten cents a minute plan works.

[On Topic] That being said, a smart phone (or tablet) that works via wi-fi (no satellite-based phone/data plan) can host apps that can be used with Cakewalk if it is on a PC with wi-fi.  

Before my tablet died, I used Touchdaw (and some free apps) to communicate and control music software on a PC.  It can definitely be helpful for some purposes.  As usual, it depends on your personal workflow.

• Like 1