hang on close (solved)

The most common causes for this are:

1. A 32 bit plugin that doesn't behave properly when bridged. The best solution to this (apart from not using them) is to use the "Load with JBridge wrapper" option within plugin options, and have the "Dirty Close" option selected in the plugin's JBridge settings. You'll need JBridge installed of course.

2. Out of date plugins. I had this issue with Overloud TH-U recently - upgrading TH-U to the latest fixed it. 

One other thing, (which may just be speculation), but I've found leaving a plugin's GUI showing when you save a project or quit can sometimes (actually very rarely) cause issues. It certainly increases the load time significantly. I've not seen it hang Cakewalk on closing, but I *have* seen it hang on load if a problem plugin's GUI was showing when the project was saved. 

[Edit] - You shouldn't need to reboot. Go to task manager (right click on task bar), and just kill off the Cakewalk process.

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, martins said:

could it be my soundcard also?

im using a roland-quad-capture..

It's a possibility, but if it is it would probably happen every time you closed Cakewalk.

The last time this happened to me (with TH-U), I took a project that this happened with, took a note of the plugins, and created a new project inserting each of the plugins one at a time, saving, quitting until I found the plugin that made it hang.

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

The last time this happened to me (with TH-U), I took a project that this happened with, took a note of the plugins, and created a new project inserting each of the plugins one at a time, saving, quitting until I found the plugin that made it hang.

thanks i will do this test!

You could try loading up the project that gets weird on closing, in Cakewalk's Safe Mode - (hold Shift when opening the project), and tell it to skip the loading of the 2 plugins - then close the project, WITHOUT saving, and see if it still hangs.  This would help point at one or both of those 32-bit plugins as being problematic.

Many, if not most folks seem to have moved away from 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit Cakewalk environment, because of the need for bridging software (Cakewalk comes with Bit-Bridge, while there is a commercial product called J-Bridge), and for all kinds of crashes and issues when using these bridged plugins. 

I happen to have purchased J-Bridge (was $19 or $20 I think), and I use it for a VERY small number of 32-bit plugins that I sometimes have to use.  I put a sub-folder in C:\\Program Files (x86)\VST32 folder, called Bridged, and ONLY 32-bit plugins that I have found to be stable - and quite needed at times, get put into that folder.  I then added that specific path to my VST search path in Cakewalk VST Plugin Manager, so that ONLY these 32-bit plugins would even show up in my list of VST instruments.  If I have a need for any additional 32-bit VST plugins, I put it in that Bridged folder, but then give it a THOROUGH workout in my 64-bit Cakewalk, PRIOR to actually using it in any production project. 

The move I made a long time ago, to only try to use 64-bit plugins has REALLY helped Sonar and now CbB to be extremely stable on my system.

Bob Bone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Bone said:

You could try loading up the project that gets weird on closing, in Cakewalk's Safe Mode - (hold Shift when opening the project), and tell it to skip the loading of the 2 plugins - then close the project, WITHOUT saving, and see if it still hangs.  This would help point at one or both of those 32-bit plugins as being problematic.

both 32bit plugin are VC-64 vintage-channel  and limiter 6

i will do test when finishing the album(cuz i use this 2 plugin on all my project(it does not always hang)

1 hour ago, Robert Bone said:

I happen to have purchased J-Bridge (was $19 or $20 I think),

that's what i will do thanks Robert!

7 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

The move I made a long time ago, to only try to use 64-bit plugins has REALLY helped Sonar and now CbB to be extremely stable on my system. 

I have always been like this as well, whether video or audio programs, if they are 64bit then I use only 64bit plugins end of story, I don't care if they have a bridge. It's easy to become addicted to some 32bit plugs but if you look, you may find a 64bit version of that plug or a different plug that is similar that is 64bit.

I wish Cakewalk would move to 64bit only or at least provide a 64bit only version. That's the norm these days.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Im still addicted to some DX plugs xD.

The Sonitus suite being my favorite DX. But agreed with what you and @Robert Bone are saying. I also went to VST 64 as much as I could starting a few years back.

The DX plugins are at least 64 bit though... they have to be else they wouldn't work at all.

Although in the DAW community, they're often seen as "legacy", it would be more accurate to say that they're just not popular anymore - i.e. VST has simply won the plugin format war on PC's.

Windows still uses the same underlying technology in its media stack for its media players, and a bunch of video editors still use DX technology.

3 hours ago, Tezza said:

I wish Cakewalk would move to 64bit only or at least provide a 64bit only version. That's the norm these days.

All the plug-ins bundled with CbB are 64bit.

When it comes to DX plug-ins, they are host bitness specific. IOW, 32bit DX plug-ins only run in a 32bit DAW, 64bit DX plug-ins only run in a 64bit DAW.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, scook said:

All the plug-ins bundled with CbB are 64bit.

When it comes to DX plug-ins, they are host bitness specific. IOW, 32bit DX plug-ins only run in a 32bit DAW, 64bit DX plug-ins only run in a 64bit DAW.

That's good to know Scook, so that means CbB is 64bit native, plugins and all? Excellent if that is the case. Perhaps that may contribute as to why I do not find some of the bugs and instability that those who are using Sonar alongside CbB do. Why still have the bridge in CbB then. Cross compatibility with Sonar 32 bit plugins? It has always been my belief, I think from past experience that bridges increase instability, using 32 bit plugins in 64bit for example.

I have a quite few 32 bit plugs installed on my system from other audio applications etc and also DX because I have Vegas Pro which uses those. As a result when I look at available plugins under CbB, it lights up with all of these. I have more plugins available under CbB than any other DAW. However, I only use the 64bit ones, nice to know the DX plugins are also 64 bit.

Edited by Tezza

23 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Why still have the bridge in CbB then,,,?

I have a quite few 32 bit plugs installed on my system from other audio applications etc

I believe you have partially answered your own question. Some rely on older 32bit only plug-ins.

The bridge also aids in transitioning from 32bit DAWs and older projects where 32bit only plug-ins were used.

1 hour ago, scook said:

Some still feel the need to use 32bit plug-ins.

I wish I could eliminate them entirely, but there are a couple where the developer left the game before 64-bit was a thing, and then there are some manufacturers like g-Sonique who are lagging behind.

I have their VTD-42 Psychedelic Delay that was licensed by Acoustica for Mixcraft Pro Studio and it just does things that nothing else does. I hope Acoustica get the 64-bit one in the next release cycle, but for now, I'm kinda stuck with it.

Then there is the steady trickle of new single-developer freeware VST's that are announced at KVR, developed using SynthEdit or Flowstone and 32-bit only.