Merry Xmas to the CW family! (Not a deal)

ZokZTM

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it and happy holidays to everyone. 

(I come from a family that was Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, agnostic, athiest, etc. and have friends of all backgrounds, so we want to make sure to include everybody!)

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Merry Christmas to all! My gift to you is the Kindle edition of Part 1 of my biography.

These recollections of my time as a UK recording engineer look back on an era where capture of a performance and a good sound were paramount. They could only be achieved using ‘ears’ and ingenuity supported by minimal technology, unassisted by computers, sequencers or plug-ins, none of which existed in studios at the time.

Download it for free on Amazon  24th, 25th and 26th December 2021. Start and end dates are midnight Pacific Time.

Amazon UK

Amazon Germany

Amazon.com

Amazon Canada

Amazon Australia

Amazon Japan

Definitely worth a read!

@cclarry Perhaps deserves a "Deals" thread of its own!

t

Ric, I've found a few minor editing errors, but I am enjoying the read!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Ever considered that maybe God isn't the one who allows that? At some point one has to let go of one's children and let them do whatever they will do - good, bad or indifferent.

What kind of life for us would it be if all our behavior was controlled by someone (thing) else?

Anyway, season's greetings to all!

@bdickensWhile I agree with you, I think we may be straying into the religious discussion territory. Maybe it is best to leave it at that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

@bdickensWhile I agree with you, I think we may be straying into the religious discussion territory. Maybe it is best to leave it at that.

While on one hand, you're correct about religious discussion being against forum rules, this thread -- the original post -- is explicitly about a religious holiday that excludes those who don't observe the holiday. (I do, FTR).

Granted, the holiday is incredibly secularized and actually was never a true religious celebration. The head of the religion taught to celebrate numerous holidays --- none of which are followed by the majority of Protestant and Catholics today -- but never Christmas or Easter, those were invented holidays. The Christmas holiday was invented by the Romans in the 300s and became popular in the US largely due to the popularity of Dicken's A Christmas Carol in the late 1800s. Initially, devout Christians in the US actually created laws banning the celebration as offensive.  But it is a bastardized kind of religious-secular blended holiday. So, admonishing someone not to discuss religion in a thread that is explicitly using a religion-related greeting is a bit ironic. I would cut him some slack and heck, I wrote a Christmas song this week.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Well, the volcano is not really ready to erupt...but it will some day.

It is pretty amazing how disasters can bring out the best in people. When our neighourhood was flooded last month, we all came together and stacked sandbags, and made meals and help clean out sewage soaked carpets and appliances and drywall. You get the picture. I met neighbours I had not talked to since we moved in here 20 years ago.

Indeed, disasters do bring people together and power of community helping hand can be enormous! 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Well, the volcano is not really ready to erupt...but it will some day.

It is pretty amazing how disasters can bring out the best in people. When our neighourhood was flooded last month, we all came together and stacked sandbags, and made meals and help clean out sewage soaked carpets and appliances and drywall. You get the picture. I met neighbours I had not talked to since we moved in here 20 years ago.

I wish what you just wrote wasn't so filled with irony. I was a director at the company with the second highest number of losses in the WTC on 9/11 and those horrific events brought people together. But we're in the midst of a pandemic where the daily death total has far exceeded 9/11 casualties and I am very sorry to say that we're not seeing people coming together. The pandemic has been incredibly politicized to the point where people are refusing to take basic safety measures like masking or vaccination.  It would be wonderful if it were always the case. I have two school age kids. In a Facebook group for parents of kids in our school district, a teacher posted that her husband just died of COVID-19 and urged people to get vaccinated and wear a mask. She was immediately attacked. I hope that we can become a more united people in the US. Granted, I realize there's similar divides globally, but it's incredibly strong here. I wish this tragedy brought people together. I thought at the beginning of the pandemic it would, but that's not what's happening. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Please share!

Okay @Doug Rintoul

I wrote this song in 15 minutes. A long time ago I was a working musician (a drummer, whose first instrument is piano) for 12 years and had a seriously bad repetitive stress injury that caused lifelong  tendinitis that stopped me from playing. I can only play for a short time before I get pain. But early this year, after 21 years of not playing, I decided to start playing again (of course, as a hobbyist). I know extremely little about mixing, so keep the expectations low.  And of course, my playing, after years of not practicing and not being able to spend much time playing, isn't very good and I was never a lead vocalist. Okay, those are the caveats. Here's my Christmas during a pandemic song written on Monday -- I actually wrote it following a FB post by a friend of a friend whose father just died from COVID-19, but it's about cherishing those in your life, not about her loss. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Okay @Doug Rintoul

I wrote this song in 15 minutes. A long time ago I was a working musician (a drummer, whose first instrument is piano) for 12 years and had a seriously bad repetitive stress injury that caused lifelong  tendinitis that stopped me from playing. I can only play for a short time before I get pain. But early this year, after 21 years of not playing, I decided to start playing again (of course, as a hobbyist). I know extremely little about mixing, so keep the expectations low.  And of course, my playing, after years of not practicing and not being able to spend much time playing, isn't very good and I was never a lead vocalist. Okay, those are the caveats. Here's my Christmas song written on Monday -- actually following a FB post by a friend of a friend whose father just died from COVID-19. 

Thanks for sharing. It is a touching song and a great sentiment. My dad passed away on October 31st after a long battle with Parkinsons so I relate to it well. This will be the first Christmas without him. Christmas and family were an important part of his life and I know it will be hard without him this year. Christmas is a good time to celebrate family and friends and I am thankful for those still here.

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Thanks for sharing. It is a touching song and a great sentiment. My dad passed away on October 31st after a long battle with Parkinsons so I relate to it well. This will be the first Christmas without him. Christmas and family were an important part of his life and I know it will be hard without him this year. Christmas is a good time to celebrate family and friends and I am thankful for those still here.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Doug. I'm very familiar with experiencing the first Christmas and birthday where a parent or sibling is gone.  It's really difficult. 

When I was a kid, our mother was a classically trained pianist and music teacher, and my three siblings -- all of us multi-instrumentalists -- played in a family band and would perform around town especially around Christmastime, where we'd do a whole show of Christmas music. But tragedy struck and I lost all three siblings far too young, so Christmas music has an extra-special sentimental aspect to it, and I had all of that in mind when I wrote my little Christmas song. Loss is an awful teacher to have, but it has taught me to not take those in my life for granted. Thanks for sharing so openly. I'll probably delete my Christmas song in a bit to lessen my embarrassment.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I know extremely little about mixing, so keep the expectations low.

Could've fooled me.

There's a few things I might change, but I think they're more like aesthetic choices than actual flaws.

And of course, my playing, after years of not practicing and not being able to spend much time playing, isn't very good

Could've fooled me.

and I was never a lead vocalist.

Even if you might not have the range or technique of someone like Chris Cornell, you're in tune and in time. That's what matters.

24 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'll probably delete my Christmas song in a bit to lessen my embarrassment.  

If you do that, I will find you and I will hurt you.😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I am waiting for the volcano I can I see from my window to erupt. 

Never wish for things you don’t want to happen.  The Seattle area is due for a dose of snow and cold. Please don’t take this wrong Doug, but I wish they’d close the border again. 
🙃
t

for years I frequented Regina, then Brandon in the summertime. I love Canada, but fear I am not “man” enough to weather the winters...

have many friends that were effected by the flooding.