FL Studio

husker

The recent thread regarding "who uses Cakewalk" was interesting to me, as I've been in the market for awhile for a secondary DAW.  I started with (cough) Sonar For Life (/cough), and still feel a little jaded about that.  I went with Cubase when SPLAT went under, and am very pleased with it.  I'm not a DAW collector (I'm a synth collector) (well, and string library collector).  I would, however, like to get a secondary DAW.  To me, Cakewalk/Bandlab and Studio One (two other popular choices) are very similar to what I have already in Cubase - I've been looking at something radically different.   I'm not really interested in Ableton, which leaves FL Studio.

I do have a version of Studio One Producer, so I could upgrade for around $100 to the latest, but I actually really like how "different" FL Studio is.   The current deal is the full version for $399 - I've had it in my cart for a few days, and Imagine Line sent me an addition %10 off coupon to entice me to buy.  In cart, it is $359 for the FL Studio All Plugins edition.

Is this my best deal for this?

Edited by husker

5 minutes ago, husker said:

What do you prefer about Bitwig?

At first (v1) the look. Then I met the team at Musikmesse some years ago. Jumped in and got addicted by a concise GUI and work ethic. And now v4 brought comping, I could happily retire from other DAWs (though I’ll still hang on to Logic, Reason and Tracktion). Also, I find FL is (much) more EDM oriented while Bitwig even allows for classical work. And they only just added orchestral strings from those famous Berlin devs at Orchestral Tools. 
I’ll say one thing for FL though, free lifetime updates. 

6 minutes ago, Fleer said:

At first (v1) the look. Then I met the team at Musikmesse some years ago. Jumped in and got addicted by a concise GUI and work ethic. And now v4 brought comping, I could happily retire from other DAWs (though I’ll still hang on to Logic, Reason and Tracktion). Also, I find FL is (much) more EDM oriented while Bitwig even allows for classical work. And they only just added orchestral strings from those famous Berlin devs at Orchestral Tools. 
I’ll say one thing for FL though, free lifetime updates. 

So you're full Bitwig ?

• Like 1

As someone who used to use Project 5 a lot, Bitwig had a similar look and feel when it came to workflow.  I've tried Ableton a few times but could never really get on with it.  That may sound surprising considering that BW developers came from Ableton, but Bitwig has for me been a bit more intuitive than some of the other things I have tried.  Of course they do have a few weird things, like Tap Tempo being only accessed through a weird shortcut, but overall a good mix of simplicity and power.

Apparently Bitwig also imports FL and Live projects now.

Another thing you may want to look at is Mixcraft.  It's a good hybrid of linear and pattern based.  I considered it as well during the Great Panic but there were a few things which annoyed me, most of which I have heard have been fixed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

As someone who used to use Project 5 a lot, Bitwig had a similar look and feel when it came to workflow.  I've tried Ableton a few times but could never really get on with it.  That may sound surprising considering that BW developers came from Ableton, but Bitwig has for me been a bit more intuitive than some of the other things I have tried.  Of course they do have a few weird things, like Tap Tempo being only accessed through a weird shortcut, but overall a good mix of simplicity and power.

Apparently Bitwig also imports FL and Live projects now.

Another thing you may want to look at is Mixcraft.  It's a good hybrid of linear and pattern based.  I considered it as well during the Great Panic but there were a few things which annoyed me, most of which I have heard have been fixed.

man project 5 and kinetic were ancestors to live and maschine ..so sad cakewalk were not that great marketing wise

5 hours ago, husker said:

The recent thread regarding "who uses Cakewalk" was interesting to me, as I've been in the market for awhile for a secondary DAW.  I started with (cough) Sonar For Life (/cough), and still feel a little jaded about that.  I went with Cubase when SPLAT went under, and am very pleased with it.  I'm not a DAW collector (I'm a synth collector) (well, and string library collector).  I would, however, like to get a secondary DAW.  To me, Cakewalk/Bandlab and Studio One (two other popular choices) are very similar to what I have already in Cubase - I've been looking at something radically different.   I'm not really interested in Ableton, which leaves FL Studio.

I do have a version of Studio One Producer, so I could upgrade for around $100 to the latest, but I actually really like how "different" FL Studio is.   The current deal is the full version for $399 - I've had it in my cart for a few days, and Imagine Line sent me an addition %10 off coupon to entice me to buy.  In cart, it is $359 for the FL Studio All Plugins edition.

Is this my best deal for this?

Most likely. I'm a FL Studio fanboy.  It does take a bit getting use to.  The similarities to Reaper is it is often updated, the developers are involved in the forums.  It's quite deep.  I have their everything bundle.  I finally started messing with their other synths and didn't realize they are all quite usable.   It has the best piano roll out there.  There is a course on Udemy that will take you from beginner to some advance things.   If you don't like it right away you can always go back to it and never have to pay again.  If you become broke you can always use Bandlab and FL Studio.