Theme: Tungsten RS

Starship Krupa

Per a suggestion by @Colin Nicholls, I've created a new custom theme, Tungsten RS. The "RS" means "revised standard," so named by Colin in reference to the popular Bible translation.

image.png.622e0a5efa8d546037028a33386ca545.png

It starts with Tungsten and stays there color-wise, but implements the same icon and button conventions that I use in all of my other themes. Several of these are what I consider "fixes" to the standard program.

For example my buttons for Pre and Post are labeled "Pre" and "Post" (or "Pst" as the case may be) rather than having "Pre" be indicated by the word "Post" in greyed state. In the Mix Module, the state of FX or PDC being disabled is indicated by a red slash across the button rather than having "brightly colored" signify "disabled" while greyed out signifies that those things are active. For the most part, lit up means "on," whereas in some places in the stock Cakewalk UI, lit up means that bypass is engaged. The plug-in upsampling button says "1X" when there is no upsampling, and "2X" when upsampling is engaged. That kind of thing. Once you get used to it, which takes about 30 seconds, you'll likely not want to go back. It's stuff that IMO, should someday make it into the product, but hasn't for whatever reason.

For the remaining stuff, if you like my expand and close buttons, my Browser and Inspector show, hide, undock, and options buttons, but you like good ol' Tungsten better than the idiosyncratic color combinations I've come up with, this is your theme. Or you can swipe my art and use it in your own custom theme, it's all in good fun.

Oh, also, the grid lines in PRV stand out better in this one than in standard Tungsten. And I fixed the art in the Arpeggiator so that it no longer looks like poo (really, load Tungsten, set a track color to lime green and look at the Arpeggiator, it's awful).

Nice! Beat me to it, @Starship Krupa

I volunteer to create Mercury RS.  (Although, Blue Ice is pretty damn close... I'll start there)

Then we can compare and cross-pollinate.

Ideally we can agree and incorporate suggestions from the community without experiencing multiple schismatic sects.

"EVA01 IS THE ONE TRUE THEME, ACCEPT NO OTHERS"

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I volunteer to create Mercury RS.  (Although, Blue Ice is pretty damn close... I'll start there)

Then we can compare and cross-pollinate.

Ideally we can agree and incorporate suggestions from the community without experiencing multiple schismatic sects.

I don't know that any new art would need to be created rather than copied from Blue Ice and one of your themes (depending on where you want to get your Pre/Post and Mix Module images). Yeah, start with Blue Ice and do a flurry of "Removes." Depending on taste, I also duded up the otherwise blah (to me) Matrix and Step Sequencer Views and you can use that if you like.

The only thing I can think of that someone might object to is my arrows. I do like them big.

(It was hard for me not to do just a few color changes, like Alt Text 2 and Ruler Digits but I resisted temptation)

Edited by Starship Krupa

@Starship KrupaWait, what? You've recanted the heretical Turny Triangle creed?  Oh, I see. retained it for folder expansion. Okay. I can accept that.

Still not fan of the hamburger, but, again, I see where you're coming from.

This is a very nice looking theme. Seeing it come to life here, I think I will change what I'm doing with the Mix Module button polarity.

Re: Mix Module:

Mouse-over on Read Automation doesn't behave the same way as FX and PDC. Intentional?

Re: Show/Hide Bus Pane

An extra line below the triangle? Why?

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

An extra line below the triangle? Why?

The extra line was trying to convey "this opens multiple buses rather than a single panel" Silly, perhaps, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I got into examining UI design due to theming, so some of it's kind of just playing around.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Mouse-over on Read Automation doesn't behave the same way as FX and PDC. Intentional?

That's baked into Tungsten itself, unfortunately. Since there's no hover cell when the button is in its active state, there's nothing that can be done. Although now that you bring up that button, I don't know why there's a mouse over and a pressed state when the button will have no effect (when you don't have Write Automation enabled on any track). That might have to go.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Still not fan of the hamburger, but, again, I see where you're coming from.

Okay, considering what you pointed out about how the downward arrow pops open a menu on things like I/O, I think I may have it.

How about the one used on narrowed menus and some buttons? It doesn't point straight down, it isn't a burger, and it's still consistent with option menus used elsewhere (Tools, for instance):

image.png.c5b87d86ac19693c43b6b166e03bcf7a.png

Still a compromise, but hey, name of the game.

(notice how I put an extra line on the Track tab so that it doesn't look as burgeresque?)

• Great Idea 1