IK Multimedia Sampletank 4 Update - and a personal note

Reid Rosefelt

If nobody mentioned it here--I couldn't find it--there is update 4.16 for SampleTank 4.  This new version optimizes various functions and features as well as includes different fixes for issues some users might have experienced.   This update offers additional Syntronik 2 instrument compatibility enhancements and we recommend that all users update to SampleTank version 4.1.6 for the best experience.

Now here is my story...  I've recently got around to reinstalling SampleTank 4 and a lot of those new ST4  libraries that came with Total Studio 3.5.  While some of them installed easily, there were others like Shipwreck Piano that installed but made no sound.   So I had some communication with IK about this issue, but after a time I didn't hear from them for a few days.  Then this update, which solves all of my problems.  

This is the first time I've been one of those people who "had issues some users might have experienced."   I'm guessing there were a few people who had my problem, so they fixed it.  Thank you, IK! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

I also noticed that the latest SampleTank 4 now has individual library entries for each of the new synths in Syntronik 2, even if you are just running Syntronik2 CS. You can now easily choose the demo presets from each synth, rather than just a combined list of presets for CS.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

, there were others like Shipwreck Piano that installed but made no sound.  

For Shipwreck Piano,  it specifically states that it requires 4.14 or above.  Do you happen to remember which version of Sampletank 4 you had when Shipwreck Piano produced silence?

For a while, due to another issue (which I did report to IK support and they acknowledged) with some patches , I had to stick with 4.13 until that issue was resolved.  Once 4.15 came out and I updated, I was able to use the later libraries (Shipwreck Piano being one of them).

Thanks for the heads-up Reid.  In playing around this morning, I found that I cannot load the close mic versions of the C7 piano.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I seem to have folders 2-6 but 1 is missing.  I've emailed support but curious.

Capture.JPG.93b1785b7de32bf8bc6e75a5ba1cde17.JPG

9 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Speaking  of ST and SYN 2, have all the kinks been worked out for going from  SYN 1 to 2? Without reading through that epic original thread, is there now a preferred straightforward way of doing it that works best? Thx!:)

In my experience, yes! No hassles here! I waited out the new release issues, and waded in after the fixes were in.

I have Syntronik 2 CS installed, and all of my instruments from Syntronik 1 Deluxe show up.

It works similar to the way ST4 handled ST3 instruments with dual engines. Except that the edit panel is unavailable for the legacy presets in the new Syntronik 2 editor. But it plays both versions well,  and you can still open each actual legacy instrument GUI and edit the sound with that.

• Great Idea 1

My only nit so far has been the Sampletank browser where you have to select the title EVERY TIME you want to search something. I would much rather have everything selected as DEFAULT upon load up. They could do it because it doesn't load the samples. It only selects a direction path.

I still have the occasional issues with ST4 and Studio One 5. Not having these issues with any other DAW including Cakewalk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fwrend said:

Thanks for the heads-up Reid.  In playing around this morning, I found that I cannot load the close mic versions of the C7 piano.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I seem to have folders 2-6 but 1 is missing.  I've emailed support but curious.

The SampleTank instruments are all installed when you run the Instruments Installer.  But they won't play without the samples.  This is what this error message means.  These samples are missing in the folder where they're supposed to be. 

I looked through my installation folders and it looks like you didn't install the Acoustic Samples Part 6.  That's where this file is located. See if that helps.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt

3 hours ago, Fwrend said:

I found that I cannot load the close mic versions of the C7 piano.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I seem to have folders 2-6 but 1 is missing.  I've emailed support but curious.

ST4.16.  Just loaded C7 Grand Close Mic. All good here. 

Have you tried reinstalling ST4_AcPiano_Samples_Part_6.zip.  This is the exact file that contains the C “Grand Close Mics Sustain 1.pak” file.  This is on Sampletank 4 Max.

It's now clear now that I was responsible for this problem.  When I reinstalled SampleTank on a new drive I guess I didn't use the latest install.  And then I didn't update it.  That caused the problem.  The only thing that's odd is that the IK Customer Service didn't recognize that immediately.  But anyway, it works and that's all that matters.

@Tim Smith I also have a few issues with the SampleTank interface.  With all the scrolling required, it always seems like I click more things than I want and have to hunt around to turn them off.   Also it's too many GB for stuff I'll never use, like the  ST4 strings. 

So I've been doing some customizing and I like working with it much more.  Plus it's smaller.  I may do a video someday showing how I'm doing  it.  It's a work in progress. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

It's now clear now that I was responsible for this problem.  When I reinstalled SampleTank on a new drive I guess I didn't use the latest install.  And then I didn't update it.  That caused the problem.  The only thing that's odd is that the IK Customer Service didn't recognize that immediately.  But anyway, it works and that's all that matters.

@Tim Smith I also have a few issues with the SampleTank interface.  With all the scrolling required, it always seems like I click more things than I want and have to hunt around to turn them off.   Also it's too many GB for stuff I'll never use, like the  ST4 strings. 

So I've been doing some customizing and I like working with it much more.  Plus it's smaller.  I may do a video someday showing how I'm doing  it.  It's a work in progress. 

It would be very nice if IK would just supply a custom installer that let you select the instruments you wish to have installed.

As it is now, you just open the IK chute, and it all flows down! As it stands now, I have 418GB content in my SampleTank 3 and SampleTank 4 folders, combined. Some of that could go away, as I never intend to use all of it...

• Great Idea 4

@Reid Rosefelt  I'm sure everyone probably works a little differently.

The two features at the top work pretty well. Search can pick a needle from a haystack. I searched 'bouzouki' and all of them popped up. Clicking the black window effectively shows groups and sub groups. This seems to override the need for selection in the left pane. 

I had been getting sounds by clicking the left pane program.

The program certainly eats up the SDD space. Drums are probably my least used thing and there are GB  of them. On the plus side it's pretty much all there for any composition and I like that. Kontakt limits my searches to endorsed libraries and only key words that exactly fit my search, for instance searching 'piano' in Kontakt libraries will not bring up either The Giant or Alicia's Keys.

And a frequently missed option in ST4 is the folder view, in the library pane. Clicking that nearly invisible folder icon at the top left next to the word ""Library" (be patient, it may take a few moments to kick in) will present an alternate view based on folders and instruments, in the columns to the right.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

The SampleTank instruments are all installed when you run the Instruments Installer.  But they won't play without the samples.  This is what this error message means.  These samples are missing in the folder where they're supposed to be. 

I looked through my installation folders and it looks like you didn't install the Acoustic Samples Part 6.  That's where this file is located. See if that helps.

5 hours ago, Promidi said:

ST4.16.  Just loaded C7 Grand Close Mic. All good here. 

Have you tried reinstalling ST4_AcPiano_Samples_Part_6.zip.  This is the exact file that contains the C “Grand Close Mics Sustain 1.pak” file.  This is on Sampletank 4 Max.

Thanks friends, yes, I downloaded and reinstalled but to no avail.  @Reid Rosefelt, everything else plays fine - it is only the Close Mic'd presets that give this warning.  However, I saw but did not download and install the Update which may work.  I will try the update and then try unzipping/running JUST the 6.pak file alone.   Thanks @Promidi

2 hours ago, Fwrend said:

Thanks friends, yes, I downloaded and reinstalled but to no avail.  @Reid Rosefelt, everything else plays fine - it is only the Close Mic'd presets that give this warning.  However, I saw but did not download and install the Update which may work.  I will try the update and then try unzipping/running JUST the 6.pak file alone.   Thanks @Promidi

With all iterations of ST4, Sampletank has always been able to find all C7 Close Mic'd presets.  I went from 4.13, to 4.15 then to 4.16 (I intentionally skipped 4.14)

Still, the update is still recommend for other reasons. 

If the 4.16 update does not resolve the issue, is the "C Grand Close Mics Sustain 1.pak” file actually present in the folder specified in the error message?

On my system, this specific file is exactly 3.28 GB (3,525,319,061 bytes)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Promidi said:

If the 4.16 update does not resolve the issue, is the "C Grand Close Mics Sustain 1.pak” file actually present in the folder specified in the error message?

No, that is what I am saying.  "C Grand Close Mics Sustain 1.pak" is not present.  Only CGCMS 2-6.paks are there.  I'll follow-up when I can.  I did hear back from IK Support and will try there suggestions which are pretty much what I've done. 

Sorry, I won't be back home until late this evening as I have a couple of Christmas programs to lead. 

Thanks for the discussion and a blessed merry Christmas and/or happy holidays to all!

7 hours ago, Fwrend said:

No, that is what I am saying.  "C Grand Close Mics Sustain 1.pak" is not present.

Your next more would be to locate your “ST4_AcPiano_Samples_Part_6.zip” file (That you’ve hopefully backed up somewhere)

On option is to extract the files therein to a folder.  Then run the “Install SampleTank 4 Sound Content.exe” ,making sure you select the correct destination (The error message should give you the clue here).

Another option is this. In the zip file, there is the folder “SampleTank 4 Sound Content”.  Drill down to the folder until eventually you’ll get to the actual “C Grand Close Mics Sustain 1.pak.” file.  Manually copy that file to the location specified in the error message.  Then open up ST4 and do a database scan (Settings | Sound Content > Rescan All)

I have been using Sampletank for quite a while now and I have yet to encounter missing sounds.

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

I have been using Sampletank for quite a while now and I have yet to encounter missing sounds.

I originally installed all of the ST4 MAX sounds manually in the days long before the IK Product Manager was available.  Took me about 2 days. 🤪

But never had this issue, as I ensured that all of the libraries were present and accounted for, and any applicable sound content updates were applied.

Maybe there was a glitch with the Product Manager, and it brain farted?