Huge problem with the Tempo Map and audio following tempo changes

Olaf

2 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Ultimately, CbB may *not* be the tool for how you like to work at the end of the day - it's not out of the question to do one process in one DAW and then move to another for something else. In this case, you could sketch out your tempo/meter map elsewhere, once you're ready to track properly you would export a MIDI file with the tempo info in it, open in CbB and do your tracking in a fast and familiar environment. You wouldn't run into any of these issues because the timing changes would already be locked in before you added any audio.

From what I gather, the timebase that everything works to goes back to how it was originally implemented in the old Twelvetone days and has been enhanced over the years since (Bakers, please tell me to stop talking now if I'm way off base!) so there may be limitations with how tempo works with certain operations currently. It'd be good to know either way what's going on.

That being said, I've personally never run into this kind of problem because my workflow is quite different, despite doing music that can get fairly complex with tempo and meter changes, so how you're using it may shed some light on something that needs to be looked at.

Ultimately, it should be able to stretch audio right when changing the tempo on different parts - without resizing, trimming issues, clip jumps, doubling clips, etc. These are things that shoulnd't normally happen, regardless of the workflow. Most DAWs do that, certainly Reaper and Reason do it well, CW does it, too, officially, except that it doesn't work.

11 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Our team is out for the holidays but we'll follow up when we're back in Jan. The most important thing would be to supply a link to a project file (with audio) that exhibits the problem so that we can look into it.

Thanks, I'll render a project file with the audio embedded, and send it to you. Happy holidays!

• Thanks 1

Ok forgive me, there is a lot to wade thru here, I might understand the issue, I might not.

I do a lot of audio design, vo recording, sound effects etc..to picture or absolute time, then score (compose) music to picture (or even just the audio).  I change tempos all the time.  Some audio i want to stay right where it's at and other elements i want to follow the new tempos (tempi?).

So the trick is choosing an element's time base.  Is it musical or absolute.  you can change that in the clip and track properties on the left.  So let's say I have placed a musical audio clip in the timeline as part of the composition, say a rhythm guitar.  It starts in measure "X", but now the tempo has got to change.  I "bounce to Clips" the guitar part making sure the clip is exactly at the start and end of a measure.  I can change the tempo any way I want, then time stretch the guitar part back to the end of the measure that it was at.  I have done this many times always successful.   If the time stretched audio is what I like.. I bounce it to clips again, cause i found that working with a lot of time stretched elements will cause  apps to crash...this is true in Protools, Cubase, etc.

What I think your are trying to do is create a scenario where CbB detects beats in all your audio clips and adjusts everything to match a new tempo...that might work if you convert all your audio to a groove clip.  that seems to be fraught with issues.  I have seen this work, but never always successful ...in many other Daws.

I hope I helped and did not waste your time.

Best! Good Luck.

Edited by Jimbo 88
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bdickens said:

You could work everything out with virtual instruments and then replace them after everything is sorted.

that's a good idea, but i've got guitar solos in there, and vocals, and those are hard to emulate.

i've grabbed the bull by the balls, and went old style: assessed a tempo for each part, on the fly, hoped it'd work, took a deep breath and re-recorded everything, except for the bass, which i'll have to redo later. if i later decide they don't work, it's back to the drawing board. but i might simplify my life for the clean guitar arpeggios.

10 hours ago, Jimbo 88 said:

Ok forgive me, there is a lot to wade thru here, I might understand the issue, I might not.

I do a lot of audio design, vo recording, sound effects etc..to picture or absolute time, then score (compose) music to picture (or even just the audio).  I change tempos all the time.  Some audio i want to stay right where it's at and other elements i want to follow the new tempos (tempi?).

So the trick is choosing an element's time base.  Is it musical or absolute.  you can change that in the clip and track properties on the left.  So let's say I have placed a musical audio clip in the timeline as part of the composition, say a rhythm guitar.  It starts in measure "X", but now the tempo has got to change.  I "bounce to Clips" the guitar part making sure the clip is exactly at the start and end of a measure.  I can change the tempo any way I want, then time stretch the guitar part back to the end of the measure that it was at.  I have done this many times always successful.   If the time stretched audio is what I like.. I bounce it to clips again, cause i found that working with a lot of time stretched elements will cause  apps to crash...this is true in Protools, Cubase, etc.

What I think your are trying to do is create a scenario where CbB detects beats in all your audio clips and adjusts everything to match a new tempo...that might work if you convert all your audio to a groove clip.  that seems to be fraught with issues.  I have seen this work, but never always successful ...in many other Daws.

I hope I helped and did not waste your time.

Best! Good Luck.

Thanks, I was thinking of something along the same lines, but couldn't figure it out. I'll take a closer look at what you said, later, and try it step by step - and get back to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I might have not understood, or misspoke, or just spoke from 5 years back.  I had in my head you where trying to change tempos within a song and had trouble. You can change tempos for complete songs in other DAWs, even if there are audio clips.  I just did it in Cubase, it took a little trickery.  I got little pieces of info from different sources and make it work.   Let me see if I can find a way to do this in Cake.  I have not had a reason to this, but I want to try.

Ok, Now I think I was pretty much right the 1st time.  So I have 2 versions of a song, one at 112 BPM sung by a choir.  Another at 104 BPM sung and performed by a vocalist and rock band.  Kinda always felt the 104 BPM was a little slow and the 112 was too fast after listening to them back to back.  So I mucked around and got the choir version to playback at 107 Bpm..fine.  I'm running into a bunch of artifacts and issues trying to speed up the slower rock band version.  This confirms my suspicions...It's dodgy in any DAW changing speeds.  It's not a guarantee  to work every time.

58 minutes ago, Jimbo 88 said:

Ok, Now I think I was pretty much right the 1st time.  So I have 2 versions of a song, one at 112 BPM sung by a choir.  Another at 104 BPM sung and performed by a vocalist and rock band.  Kinda always felt the 104 BPM was a little slow and the 112 was too fast after listening to them back to back.  So I mucked around and got the choir version to playback at 107 Bpm..fine.  I'm running into a bunch of artifacts and issues trying to speed up the slower rock band version.  This confirms my suspicions...It's dodgy in any DAW changing speeds.  It's not a guarantee  to work every time.

You can change both the online and offline algorithms for audio stretching in preferences:

image.png.36610349d607a72e42c830809f949ed2.png

The Online Render is what is used when you change things on the fly (like adjusting tempo), and by default uses an algorithm which is fast, but is prone to artefacts.  The idea is that you use this to get your timing right, and use the Offline Render to commit your results.

The Offline Render is used when using Bounce to Clip(s) / Bounce to Tracks / Audio Export.  This is slower, but produces far less artefacts.

Also some algorithms are more suited to others depending on the type of audio you're stretching (e.g. vocals / bass / drums etc ).

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 1:48 AM, msmcleod said:

You can change both the online and offline algorithms for audio stretching in preferences:

Thanks, I have them both on Elastique Pro, and that's the behavior I get.

@Noel Borthwick Here is the project download link, as a .zip file, The project file is inside the folder. I couldn't export it as a bundle project, because it's got the clip stretching active on many of them.

https://we.tl/t-84601Ma8Vt

The vocal is a sketch recording on the phone, in gibberish, so pay no particular attention to it.

There are all sorts of weird clip behaviors, as well, related to trimming, resizing, once "follow project tempo" is activated. You can find the gifs I've made here:

https://we.tl/t-bk0LP7aW8q

If you can't make sense of something, or have questions, shoot me a message.

There's also irregular behavior that I've noted before with Softube Tape, which then stopped after a few updates, and now happens with all kinds of plugins - namely various transport related commands (stop & play, or moving the playhead/cursor on the timeline during play) reset or move the parameters within the plugins around, It almost makes me reluctant to stop playing or move along the timeline.

These plugins are:

Embertone Sensual Saxophone (Kontakt 6.7) - resets the "*****" parameter = play velocity, reverb & distortion;

Waves H-EQ - EQ bands jump up randomly;

Sonimus SonEQ - resets the parameters to 0.

They're all documented in the Gif folder.

There's also the recurring problem of the Arranger Track not showing on project open, sometimes not even the Tempo Track, and having to be rechecked every time.

Variety of Sound NastyDLA Wet only setting is not remembered.

The Browser/Synth Rack/Help window sizes and order in the right side dock are not remembered.

Very rarely either of these settings will be remembered, but I couldn't tell you how and why.

If these were solved in the next releases, that would be a massive improvement.

Thanks!

Edited by Olaf

I will not have time to look at the project for a while, but I can tell you from some of what you described that a key to getting this to work as expected in this use case is ensuring that the Follow Option is 'Auto strech' before you enable Follow Project. There may still be issues, but that will address a lot of them.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 5:47 PM, David Baay said:

I will not have time to look at the project for a while, but I can tell you from some of what you described that a key to getting this to work as expected in this use case is ensuring that the Follow Option is 'Auto strech' before you enable Follow Project. There may still be issues, but that will address a lot of them.

Thanks!

On 12/24/2021 at 5:21 AM, Jimbo 88 said:

What I think your are trying to do is create a scenario where CbB detects beats in all your audio clips and adjusts everything to match a new tempo...

No, it actually involves performing some simple math. It knows what the current tempo is, it knows what the new tempos is, just needs to recalculate the clip length by multiplying it by the ratio between the two.

That said, @Jimbo 88, @David Baay, thanks a lot for your input. I gave up trying to use "follow project tempo", and just used clip stretch instead. Tried to match the clip end to the normal grid line, and it worked relatively well. Not 100%, cause the stretch ratio only has 1 decimal, but close enough. And on that happy note, I've finally managed to decide on a song structure. Still have a little rearranging to do, for the new section order, but nothing spectacular.

@Noel Borthwick I have some new irregular behavior clips, working with the Arranger and the Tempo Track. "Arranger Exclude" is permanently unchecked in the Tempo Lane.

Tempo envelope nodes not copied with Arranger sections

Copying Arranger section doesn't copy Tempo change & doesn't observe track order. Pressing DEL with Arranger Section copied attempts to deletes Synth

Drawing node on Tempo envelope deletes different node

Edited by Olaf

@Noel Borthwick continued

Select Tempo envelope node unavailable on hover over node + Draw click on node deletes different node

Moving Arranger section fails if a wave clip exceeds the section area, and moving Arranger clip doesn't move the Tempo nodes.

EDIT: added these two clips:

Comp trimming clips trims the start of the next clip.

Comp Trimming a clip moves the wave content inside the clip.

Edited by Olaf

On 2/25/2022 at 6:25 PM, John Vere said:

there’s a size limit on files posted directly here so no videos and best to put GIF on giffy

You'd be surprised to know - I know I was - that certain mp4 encodings take far less space than GIF files, so it's actually more space efficient to save them that way. These videos all add up to a few megs, so I'm well within the quota. When it's exceeded, I'll delete them. Fingers crossed these (huge) problems get solved by then.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:25 PM, John Vere said:

the only way I can change the tempo of a song is to first export all the audio as stems first.
Then I delete all audio tracks and drag the exported audio back to where they came from.

Thank you for the advice, I can't use it, though, since my problem is having different tempos on different parts - and not definite ones, at that - which I need to move around and tempo adjust to fit the new places in the song. So exporting everything as single take stems is exactly what I can't do. But I've settled on a definite structure - still think I may need to adjust the tempo on one part, though, but nothing major. Just hand stretch until it sounds as "right" as it can, and then rely on Melodyne for the final touches.

On 2/25/2022 at 5:15 PM, Olaf said:

@Noel Borthwick continued

Select Tempo envelope node unavailable on hover over node + Draw click on node deletes different node

Moving Arranger section fails if a wave clip exceeds the section area, and moving Arranger clip doesn't move the Tempo nodes.

EDIT: added these two clips:

Comp trimming clips trims the start of the next clip.

Hey Olaf. With comp trimming, I think you have stretch on, thats why the information in side the clip is moving. It's trying to adjust to the tempo its stretched too. I might be wrong.

I will take a look at the project as soon as I get free time (if its still available.) 

I'm not paying full attention to this thread, right. Doing my yearly check up. Dentist after this 😩 

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

This is an issue that I have often when I create/adjust a crossfade in a take lane (had it just yesterday). It drives me crazy!

Most of the time I can handle it by copying/moving the particular clips to a new working track (with only 1 take lane!) and then bouncing one of the clips before I do the crossfades. Sometimes a project close and reopen helps. Other times there is almost no way, i.e. I have to do the edit outside of CbB!

A lot of people say that CbB is much more bug-free than Sonar, maybe it's true for a lot of things (mixing, recording, MIDI). But in respect of clip editing I don't agree at all! There are so many bugs and hassles there. Just this morning it kept me busy! 😆