Output sheet music with lyrics?

Billy86

I've searched the forum and Google but can't seem to find much information on this. I want to create sheet music from a midi piano performance and have the lyrics with it -- like you might see in a Hal Leonard book or something like that. Can I do that inside CbB (I have Melodyne Editor as well), OR do I need a third-part app to do that? If so, any suggestions if anyone is using one of those?

Thanks and Happy Holidays! 

Hi Billy86, as others have said Musescore is a good software for this task, but you could use CbB too, adding words to notes on Staff View, as well as using Lyrics View, to see it as a text. In both cases you should hyphenate syllables (or separate words with underline symbol).
Also to use it on SV click on the Lyrics button to activate this feature.
For more (and better) information see the following link.
Working with lyrics

Edited by mgustavo

CbB is fine if you are working music that is not to complicated.  I actually prefer composing in Cake, it keeps my sketch simple and I can work quickly. If the project needs real, complex notation I export an XLM file into other software.  I can make my compositions sound real in CbB, I have a tough time listening to my pieces in any notation software. 

As others have said, and I agree, Musescore is good....and free (big bonus).   I use Seblieus because I can rewire it with CbB and Dorico because I feel that is going to be the future of pro notation programs.   Big learning curves in all the notation apps.  CbB is pretty easy to learn. maybe I'm biased 'cause I started DAWs on Cakewalk.

Creating a Vocal and Piano lead sheet should work out fine in Cake.  If you add other instruments other than keyboards you are going to need other apps,  Staff View just does not have enough articulations .

So do your project in Staff View and get good at it.  When you need more,  your experience will help you understand and move up into more sophisticated notation apps.

Best!

Edited by Jimbo 88
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Have tried a little bit with both CW's and Musescore's. The trickiest part of each, it seems, is getting the lyrics in the right place. I have a piano piece in MIDI. Easy to import into Musescore and it creates the notation. But I'm still wading through how to control and edit where the lyrics fall. 

Anyone know if there's a solution where you can actually record (sing) the lyrics directly into the staff/sheet music and it puts them where they belong, relative to the notes on the staff?  Talk about a workflow enhancement... 

12 hours ago, Billy86 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Have tried a little bit with both CW's and Musescore's. The trickiest part of each, it seems, is getting the lyrics in the right place. I have a piano piece in MIDI. Easy to import into Musescore and it creates the notation. But I'm still wading through how to control and edit where the lyrics fall. 

Anyone know if there's a solution where you can actually record (sing) the lyrics directly into the staff/sheet music and it puts them where they belong, relative to the notes on the staff?  Talk about a workflow enhancement... 

No, but you could speed things up with any of the many speech to text programs. Then, all you have to do is copy, paste and hyphenate to syllables.  

Another free notation program is Notepad by MakeMusic, the company that owns Finale, Garritan Virtual Instruments and SmartMusic.

https://www.finalemusic.com/products/notepad/

Edited by Max Arwood
added finale