Cakewalk Theme Editor feature requests & improvements::.

MarianoGF

There is nothing to move.

There are some theme editor feature request threads in the Feedback Loop area.

If you have a new feature request, create a new thread in Feedback Loop.

Creating a single thread containing all the feature requests related to the theme editor is not how this forum works.

• Meh 1

8 hours ago, scook said:

There is nothing to move.

There are some theme editor feature request threads in the Feedback Loop area.

If you have a new feature request, create a new thread in Feedback Loop.

Creating a single thread containing all the feature requests related to the theme editor is not how this forum works.

Dear, I can accept I didn't choose the right forum area to post this thread, that's why I asked you to move it to the right place. But your way to tell me that my thread "is not how this forum works" feels a bit authoritarian if you are a forum admin. If we go to the case of being strict, the Feedback Loop forum says "Provide feedback on features, ideas and requests for future releases of Cakewalk by BandLab.", and clearly Cakewalk Theme Editor is a different app from Cakewalk by BandLab. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK, im brand new (not to cakewalk, got my first version in the early 90's, have used them exclusively since then) i havent done any recording the last few years, heard Gibson killed CW... found out a few days ago you guys bought em and installed it immediately, this is stronger, more stable, and quicker then any previous version i can remember. (the plugins listing, adding, saving, searching is MUCH more efficient and fast).

anyways, as for theme editing, it seems to me both the dark and light versions should be available to load as a staring "base" to build from, there should able a slot list showing the name of the thumb of each piece that can be clicked and changed, but there should be a functioning  complete base to build from... and a list naming and showing each piece so that people know to some degree what they are modding and obviously what it looks like, even better would be a "demo" button you click and would bring up an image showing what your current layout your working on looks like.

being a graphics design guy i have some ideas on some themes i think would be awesome for this great app, but right now the theme editor is confusing and incomplete.

Edited by Starlandsound

On 6/7/2019 at 12:11 AM, Starlandsound said:

it seems to me both the dark and light versions should be available to load as a staring "base" to build from, there should able a slot list showing the name of the thumb of each piece that can be clicked and changed, but there should be a functioning  complete base to build from... and a list naming and showing each piece so that people know to some degree what they are modding and obviously what it looks like, even better would be a "demo" button you click and would bring up an image showing what your current layout your working on looks like.

being a graphics design guy i have some ideas on some themes i think would be awesome for this great app, but right now the theme editor is confusing and incomplete.

I don't understand entirely what you're saying, I agree the editor can be slightly confusing and somewhat incomplete along with having images that appear to be no longer used and colors that need separating more because some colors change multiple areas but...

1. The functional starting base you speak can be any theme you have though I'd recommend starting with Cakewalk's Mercury or Tungsten Theme especially if you're going to put the theme out for others to download, the default when you open the editor from it's shortcut is Cakewalk's included 'Mercury' theme or simply click the 'New' button at the top left of the editor and select a theme to use as a starting point (as seen in the screenshot), the theme you select from here to use as a starting point will not be overwritten.

2. The list naming and showing each piece so that people know what they're modifying and what it looks like are the items shown and named in the editor, not that it's always that simple with a few items and many colors and that definitely needs improvement, maybe an image that pops up when you hover the cursor over that item in the editor to show where it belongs in Cakewalk but of course many of the images are obvious, you use the software so you know what most of the images are and where they belong, plus the name and categorization help, that feature would probably be more useful for colors rather than the images, despite the name and categorization many of these can be confusing harder to remember exactly what they change. Charts of the different views with numbered parts and a list with their theme editor name would also be another option.

3. The Demo button you speak of for seeing what the current layout you're working on looks like, I would imagine would be difficult if not impossible to achieve, the best way is to open Cakewalk and view it, plus some items you edit such as Meters, Switches and Knobs you're best viewing them where you can see them in action or in different positions, the Theme Editor has a handy button at the top in the 'Home' tab for opening Cakewalk for that reason.

img%5D

Edited by Matthew White

Read the Help manual. Cakewalk_Theme_Editor.pdf

Light and dark theme "base" to build from: GO to "New" and select 'Mercury' for light themes and 'Tungsten' for dark themes. Make changes and save theme with new name. You cannot overwrite the original themes.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, martins said:

my request is to be able to make setting in cakewalk-theme-editor without the need to close\open cakewalk..

Technically, you don't have to close/open Cakewalk. You just have to change the theme to a different one in Cakewalk, until you save the changes in Theme Editor. But it's still very annoying.

Edited by Mariano Germán Flores