Brand New Day - Updated, garybrun mix!

Kevin Walsh

It was a great exercise..  I don't know much about guitar tones.. nor can I replicate Tom Petty stuff.
I have never listened to him, but know many are influenced by his records.
Looking back now I see that the mix isn't very well balanced panning wise.
But when you are caught up in something its so easy to miss.

In the mix I had a lot of busses set up.. which caused me panning problems in the end.. so I have learnt from that.
I did start the mix in mono.. so when it sounds ok there with eq and you can hear instruments.. then you are halfway there.
But it takes some discipline not to touch the pan knobs  🙂

I would have loved for someone to program a better drum track.. I reckon that would take the song up another level.

All in all it was a great experience and learning curve for sure.
Thanks for sharing the project and stems.. very much appreciated.

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 2

gary is referring to my reference track for the tone I was after, "It's Good to be King",  from Tom Petty's Wildflowers album. Needless to say, I didn't get there. :)

I felt the drums were a bit of a drag on my original mix, so on my final mix I bounce the drum track to a wave file and nudged it ahead a bit so that the drums were hitting a tiny bit earlier than when lined up on the grid. I felt like that little change did a lot for the feel. But a real drummer would certainly have been better!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 10:07 AM, steve@baselines.com said:

think it would benefit from being shorter.

Three minute Rocker here, so there's that.
Can't comment on the the earlier mixes.
There's some "harshness" on the guitar going into "Its a brand new day". (steel finger picks?)
You're trying to get some "jangle" there?
Gary's mix sounds a bit "muffled" listening to it on OneDrive (I did not download it).

Great tune, so some big 👍's!

t

6 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Three minute Rocker here, so there's that.
Can't comment on the the earlier mixes.
There's some "harshness" on the guitar going into "Its a brand new day". (steel finger picks?)
You're trying to get some "jangle" there?
Gary's mix sounds a bit "muffled" listening to it on OneDrive (I did not download it).

Great tune, so some big 👍's!

t

Thanks for jumping in on the update. I hate to resurrect posts that have had their run, but gary did great work that I wanted to expose. He's right though, the MP3 I posted doesn't do the mix job he did a lot of justice. I'm still very appreciative of his taking my stuff  under his wing and I learned quite a bit from him as  he worked through the various decisions involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1