12-21 update totally ruined my prog

King Burton

Updated. Open screen & update deleted my tool bar (workspace) setup. Can reset, but cannot save because that save function is greyed out. Only option is APPLY WORKSPACE ON PROJECT LOAD. Special feature? How do I fix this?

DATABASE ERROR - Database connection failed. Assigned plugin categories and names unavailable. Special feature? How do I fix this?

Had to rescan VSTs because most disappeared. Special feature?

I can play about 1 second of audio and it drops out - error 5. Latency checker shows ok. Raised buffer, still the same. Wasn't happening before. How do I fix this?

Can't send minidump, no file or file location. 

Glad I don't have a session scheduled. This would cost me out of my pocket.

5 hours ago, scook said:

Check the folders in %appdata%\Cakewalk and make sure they are not compressed.

Or deleted. Somebody had an issue recently where all the files in one of %appdata%\cakewalk's subfolders (I forget which one) had been deleted. I have no idea why or how that would happen, though (error raised during the update?). But it's a safe bet that the symptoms listed in the OP are indicative of a corrupt installation. I know this won't help you today, but I have to mention that the best defense against this sort of thing is having a backup of the %appdata% tree.

Oh, and Steve's right: rolling back probably won't fix it. Worst-case scenario is uninstall/re-install Cakewalk.

6 hours ago, scook said:

It is unlikely the result of updating but rolling back is not going to fix it either.

Check the folders in %appdata%\Cakewalk and make sure they are not compressed.

I'm going to implement the backup of this folders...

Just to be sure exactly what to backup:

C:users/Appdata has several folders

image.png.ca5480ac5cb3a495033ebe9248017334.png

And the only Cakewalk folder I found was this:

image.png.0c61f15c1f4d237032348c819dac5796.png

Is this the one to Backup?

Thanks! I've never done this before.

%appdata% expands to the entire tree shown in your second image.

WRT the data in the %appdata%\Cakewalk folder, I backup 

• %appdata%\Cakewalk\Library\library.db
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Aud.ini
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.ini
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Master.ins
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\TTSSEQ.ini
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

Of these, library.db (the plug-in category database), Master.ins and the plug-in layouts are critical as they are time consuming to rebuild. I don't do much tweaking to the ini files and they are pretty easy to reconstruct.

I have drum maps in a non-default folder so that I can control when that folder is updated. The custom drum maps folder is backed up.

If you use Workspaces, they are in "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Lenses" by default.

Other files in "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\" may need to be backed up depending on how one uses CbB.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, scook said:

%appdata% expands to the entire tree shown in your second image.

WRT the data in the %appdata%\Cakewalk folder, I backup 

• %appdata%\Cakewalk\Library\library.db
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Aud.ini
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.ini
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Master.ins
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\TTSSEQ.ini
  • %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

Of these, library.db (the plug-in category database), Master.ins and the plug-in layouts are the critical as they are time consuming to rebuild. I don't do much tweaking to the ini files and they are pretty easy to reconstruct.

I have drum maps in a non-default folder so that I can control when that folder is updated. The custom drum maps folder is backed up.

If you use Workspaces, they are in "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Lenses" by default.

Other files in "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\" may need to be backed up depending on how one uses CbB.

Thanks! I'll give it a try -