SONG: Ifs Ands or Buts

jbraner

Hi,

I've got a new song out. It's called "Ifs Ands or Buts" - you can check it out here:
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14360729

This one features the usual suspects, but I have a a real tube amp for the guitars now - although the speaker/cabinet simulation is still software.

Otherwise, it's
Superior Drums
MODO Bass
some GG Audio (Blue 3) Hammond
Pianoteq Piano
some DX7 stuff with Plogue OPS7
and a few misc noises

all feedbck welcome 😉

All my stuff is here http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

Don't forget - Download CDs (including my newest one "Pull the Other One") and singles are still available at all the normal streaming services.
CDBaby won't be selling physical CDs anymore - so just contact me if you want one - or look on Amazon or Apple etc.

• Like 2

Hey John,

Good to see you back. Nice funky groove on this one.

20 hours ago, jbraner said:

real tube amp

What did you get?

MODO Bass

Which patch, I'm trying to "bond" with EZBass, but the tone here would work on my tune...

GG Audio (Blue 3) Hammond

only crit, I'd bring the B3 a bit more forward, just me. 😎

t

Nice to hear one from you, John! This one has the right stank in the groove, and I like the unusual and unexpected chord changes. A toe tapper!

If we are voting on the bass, just me but I found the tone had a lot of upper end in it, like a proper Jazz bass does, but that upper midrange growly sparkle was also masking some other funky guitar elements at times.. I do like the bass tone soloed but it's more punk than funk.

Great tune though, good luck with it! Awesome chops.

Edited by PhonoBrainer

6 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Hey John,

Good to see you back. Nice funky groove on this one.

What did you get?

Which patch, I'm trying to "bond" with EZBass, but the tone here would work on my tune...

only crit, I'd bring the B3 a bit more forward, just me. 😎

t

Hey Tom,

Thanks a lot for listening.

I got an amp from Vyse Amps - they're a UK builder - it's hand built, 2 channel, 2 x 6V6 12W - perfect for recording ;)

I really like MODO, I use the P Bass a lot - that's what this one is.

re: the B3, I purposely kept it "barely there" ;)   I just thought it was a good idea ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Nice playing John.

MODO bass is really kicking in this mix. Sounds like the real deal. I liked the way you brought the synths in around the 3:00 mark and changed it up with the drums. That must have taken some work to get right.

-Tim

Hi Tim - thanks a lot for listening and for your comments. Well, I always dork around with the drums for a long time ;)

I start with MIDI files, but I edit them *a lot* ;)

4 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Nice to hear one from you, John! This one has the right stank in the groove, and I like the unusual and unexpected chord changes. A toe tapper!

If we are voting on the bass, just me but I found the tone had a lot of upper end in it, like a proper Jazz bass does, but that upper midrange growly sparkle was also masking some other funky guitar elements at times.. I do like the bass tone soloed but it's more punk than funk.

Great tune though, good luck with it! Awesome chops.

Hi Phono - thanks a lot for listening.

Interesting comments about the bass - I don't mind if it's "punk", I just like it like that - we're definitely not looking for "authentic" funk ;-)

• Like 1

Tom Deering - I didn't think to look to you when I was looking for an amp. It's a bit of a nightmare right now, with supply issues etc - so I concentrated on UK builders. Between supply problems and Brexit - I just thought it was easier to keep it all in the UK ;)

It's a nice amp, and I have a couple of tube preamps I can use through the FX loop - for some variety ;)

• Like 1