Cubase Pro 10

cclarry

I have had a love hate relationship with this program and I don't even own it. I almost bought it numerous times. Came so close.

This is probably as good as it's going to get from them which isn't bad for anyone who might want to get into the Cubase game.

For those who have the program, does it really do any great things the other DAWS can't? 

3 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I have had a love hate relationship with this program and I don't even own it. I almost bought it numerous times. Came so close.

This is probably as good as it's going to get from them which isn't bad for anyone who might want to get into the Cubase game.

For those who have the program, does it really do any great things the other DAWS can't? 

The place where Cubase excels is in MIDI work...IMO it's the best out there for MIDI work.
The program is ahead in a few other places as well...mostly due to the fact that Steinberg is the
Author of the VST format...but that's just my opinion...YMMV

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I have Cubase Pro 10. I have owned it since 2018. It takes some learning but for me it does some great things. For example, one thing I do love is the ability to drag drum midi from an Instrument track in Cubase straight into the Superior Drummer 3 plugin, and back again into Pro 10,  i think that is genius. For midi things really love Cubase Pro 10. I should jump on an upgrade but with my system I can do all i need with Pro 10 version, it just works.  You will need the elicenser USB dongle if you get Pro 10.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

The place where Cubase excels is in MIDI work...IMO it's the best out there for MIDI work.
The program is ahead in a few other places as well...mostly due to the fact that Steinberg is the
Author of the VST format...but that's just my opinion...YMMV

Thanks cclarry,

I was kind of hoping someone would talk me out of it :)

I wanted someone to tell me the midi tools aren't as good as I have been told for a long time. And VST, hard to go wrong there. They will always have the updates probably before anyone else does, because well, they make the updates.

To make it even more tempting, I have a dongle already.

Edited by Tim Smith
  • Great Idea 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Stow said:

I have Cubase Pro 10. I have owned it since 2018. It takes some learning but for me it does some great things. For example, one thing I do love is the ability to drag drum midi from an Instrument track in Cubase straight into the Superior Drummer 3 plugin, and back again into Pro 10,  i think that is genius. For midi things really love Cubase Pro 10. I should jump on an upgrade but with my system I can do all i need with Pro 10 version, it just works.  You will need the elicenser USB dongle if you get Pro 10.

Thanks for this info.

Not sure if Cakewalk does this in both directions. All of the drum programs I own let you drag midi from the drum program into a track in Cakewalk, BFD, All the kits in Komplete, Addictive Drums, to name a few. Now I'm wondering if Cakewalk is bi directional.

The issue of midi is becoming bigger for me. I am building larger mixes using it. I just recently discovered ghost notes on all tracks in the Cakewalk PR. Most of my midi work up until now hasn't been huge track counts. True to the exact beat electronic music isn't my thing. Real musicians never start at the exact same time. I think what I'm looking for is easy arrangement tools and maybe tools that would let me take a lead track and build a complimentary track with the midi. For instance a feature that would let me take a section of midi, copy it to another track and tune it a 5th down, or double a part a 3rd up. Things like that.

Many movie composers are using Cubase. Not sure if this is similar to the way most big studios have PT just because it is the standard.

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

I do a lot of work with touchscreens and touchscreen software Metagrid (for iOS).  Cubase's 'project logical editor' and "logical editor" for creating macro control of countless functions is second to none imo. You can see Junkie XL and Hans Zimmer's setup using the same concept, although I think they use Touch OSC for touchscreen.

There basically isn't a single function in the software that can't be assigned to a macro and then assigned to a button on an iPad. Most importantly: you can create macros using an algebra editor inside Cubase. So you can create functions like "Select MIDI CC Value 1 + Compress MIDI Velocity +/- 5", and assign + and - to different buttons, and you then have micro adjustments of MIDI CC values right on a touchscreen. Can also be used to, say, select every 2nd note, or every 8th note, or align every 3rd note to bar grid, or mute every note above a certain velocity, or whatever. It's endless. If it can be done with math / algebra it can be assigned to a button. Since the equations can also use track names, you can have entire view commands on touchscreen, so if you have a project with 100 tracks, you can have a button that hides everything in the project except anything with "brass" or "strings" in the name. Can be done for track types as well.

Here it is in action: 

Not sure how extensive this type thing is in Logic, Pro Tools, etc. but as far as I know the logical editors (algebraic macro building) is unique to Cubase / Nuendo? And I can't live without it.

This is what the logical editor (midi) and project logical editor (project & audio) looks like. It takes a while to learn but it's insanely powerful): 

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tim Smith said:

Well I jumped.  Thanks cclarry.  

Cakewalk will still be the DAW I use for fast constructions . I'm going to see how the midi works in Cubase.

-Tim

I, personally LOVE the workflow in Cubase's MIDI Editor....it's so straightforward and logical....CbB...not so much...

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 2