Convert CC64 to note length

Kamikaze

Is the a process that can convert CC64 into note length in Cakewalk. I can't see how, but on another forum someone is saying this funtion has been in sequencers for ages, and is useful for cutting down MIDI data. I said it's not in my sequencer without naming it, and he named several sequencers included cakewalk as having this function. 

Seems a simple idea om the face of it, but I can't see how cakewalk would select which event to to translate into a note lengtgh, assuming the process would set a range that 0 and 127 would be in ticks or something.

My pedal is just an on/off, so I assume he has a more expressive pedal. 

I've not come across this function, but they way I'd envisage it would work would be:

1.  Take a list of all the notes that are still on at the time CC64 is switched to > 0
2.   Now add all the notes are are on before the time CC64 is switched back to 0
3.   Extend the duration of all of the notes above so that it matches the time that CC64 is switched back to 0,  but only if their duration ended before that time.
4.   Remove the CC64's.

Obviously it'll need to cope with multiple CC64's throughout the track.

I can't see this being a huge advantage for cutting down MIDI data as CC64 messages are only 2 bytes long. Assuming you're only ever transmitting on a single MIDI channel I guess it could interrupt the state of running status, requiring a re-transmission of the first byte of a Note On event immediately after the CC64, but even then that's just an extra byte.  If you're transmitting on more than one MIDI channel for that port, it'll likely not affect running status at all.

Also, it'll likely make your notes look like a complete mess in the PRV.