Epic Games Holiday Sales 2021: Free game daily and $10 reusable coupon | Dec 30 - Three Freebies - Tomb Raider (3 Games)

Kal S

9 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

My current PC doesn't meet the GPU specs for some of the games so I'm saving those for when I have a new PC in a year or so time!

Re GPU - I have a NVIDIA Ge Force GTX 560 Ti but a few  of the games I see have a GTX660  stated as a minimum requirement. Is that card a step up from the 560 or just a newer model so my card may work with games that require the 660 spec? 

I usually search on YouTube using the title of the game and the graphics card and almost always there is a game play/review video showing that game being played with that exact graphics card, at various settings.

It gives me a fair idea of what performance to expect, especially if I am about to buy that game. 

Edited by Kal S
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2021 at 5:44 AM, abacab said:

At least GOG Galaxy is totally optional. GOG games are the only ones that ever touch my DAW PC, sans Galaxy. Of course that way they have no launcher, and no copy protection! No auto updates, and easily removed!

GOG.com has also been giving away free games this month as part of their winter sale.

Dec 27 freebie was X-Morph: Defense Complete Edition

The next freebie will be announced on January 3rd, 2022.

GOG Dec 2021 Giveaways.jpg

Edited by Kal S
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JoeGBradford said:

Looks like they have gone back to the weekly game already

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/rise-of-the-tomb-raider

Edit - there appear to be three TR games available when I went in again

Link to 3 TR Freebies

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/browse?q=Tomb Raider&sortBy=relevancy&sortDir=DESC&count=40

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Yes, it was leaked that it would be the Tomb Raider trio today which is great as they are really good.  I have them on Steam already and they're a great freebie that I'd recommend.

As a newbie to the franchise, are there any significant differences between 'Tomb Raider GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION' and 'Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration'?

The first title appears to be the original, while the second is described as "Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration includes the base game and Season Pass featuring all-new content. Explore Croft Manor in the new “Blood Ties” story, then defend it against a zombie invasion in “Lara’s Nightmare”."

So I was wondering if it's actually necessary to install both...

18 minutes ago, abacab said:

As a newbie to the franchise, are there any significant differences between 'Tomb Raider GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION' and 'Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration'?

The first title appears to be the original, while the second is described as "Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration includes the base game and Season Pass featuring all-new content. Explore Croft Manor in the new “Blood Ties” story, then defend it against a zombie invasion in “Lara’s Nightmare”."

So I was wondering if it's actually necessary to install both...

These are 2 different games. You install both and you get double the fun! They are Tomb Raider 1 and 2 of this reboot trilogy. Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration is a version of the second game with all the addons included.

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, abacab said:

I have a usable GeForce in my current DAW PC, but I don't want to clutter it up with game files, or the added temptation for distraction. I get enough of that from this forum, LOL!

But my old PC is used mainly for infotainment, and is still running Win 7, and has a Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Four-Core 3.4GHz, 16GB of RAM, and a Geforce GTX 950. Most games from over 5 years ago, or earlier, are very playable at 1080P with that setup. There is still quite a good inexpensive (and sometimes free) selection of those older games of the year from years past, especially at GOG. :)

There's a reason why franchise games like GTA, Assassins Creed, and CoD are popular is because you don't need a boutique system.  I've pretty much stayed away from most modern games because of disk space and GPU requirements.  Game developers would never make it in the DAW world.  They would create an EQ that requires a 4ghz CPU and 12gb of disk space. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

There's a reason why franchise games like GTA, Assassins Creed, and CoD are popular is because you don't need a boutique system.  I've pretty much stayed away from most modern games because of disk space and GPU requirements.  Game developers would never make it in the DAW world.  They would create an EQ that requires a 4ghz CPU and 12gb of disk space. 

Sounds like Acustica 😜

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, abacab said:

That's old, 2008.

Really??
2008 is still jailbait in my book.

Forgive the slightly offcolor joke, NOI.
It's GOG  (G.reat O.ld G.ames?) where you can find DOS** versions of some games,
Not the place you look for cutting edge releases.

**modified to run on current Widows computers

Edited by TheSteven

10 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Really??
2008 is still jailbait in my book.

It's GOG  (G.reat O.ld G.ames?) where you can find DOS versions of some games,
Not the place you look for cutting edge releases.

Yup, I'm aware of GOG. That's where most of my game collection exists. But most of mine were released after 2010, some as recent as a couple of years ago.

My gaming PC is a 2012 era Intel Ivy Bridge 3rd gen quad Core i5 CPU, with  a GeForce GTX 950, and does best with games made in the last 10 years. Not running a Pentium 4 these days, so need for bargain basement legacy DOS games, LOL! 😉

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...