CW update just deleted my basic template!

jono grant

Hi there,

I just let BandLab update Cakewalk to the latest version and it seems to have killed my basic template. I worked hard setting it up and wonder if I need to system restore to get it back?

Wish updates didn't mess things up....

Thanks, if anyone knows.

Jono

Yes. This is a known topic.

The install/update will over-write all the factory templates.

If you are making a customized version, save it under a different name.

If you wish this new template to be your default template, you will see an option to set any selected template as your default.

Updates will not alter such user-created templates.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Keni said:

If you are making a customized version, save it under a different name.

This is one way but the safest is a custom project template folder location. The installers write to the default location, a custom project template folder is not touched by the installer.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

30 minutes ago, scook said:

This is one way but the safest is a custom project template folder location. The installers write to the default location, a custom project template folder is not touched by the installer.

Good thought!

For anyone who had this problem, the easiest way to get your template back after Cakewalk update overwrites it, is to simply open one of your project sessions from before the update as it will likely have had that template loaded on startup. So, open the file, delete any session data that might be in there and quickly re-save/overwrite to the basic template .cwt that is kept in C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\project templates.

You can save a copy of this template in a different location so if Cakewalk overwrites it you can go and get your copy of it to replace the updated one.

J

• Great Idea 2

• 2 weeks later...

I always create a Bob's 00 Normal template, and when I see the actual 00 Normal template get updated/replaced I generally remake my Bob's 00 Normal template from the new 00 Normal one, so that I get any changes incorporated into what I like to use.

Bob Bone

7 minutes ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

I just updated to 2019.05 Build 31 and I also lost all templates. I didn't create any custom templates but I liked the ones that were there (4 track, 16 track, etc).  Is there a way to get these back?

Look in Prefernces/File/Folder Location and what is yours saying? I have mine in a custom location so they don't get overwritten when something like this happens. Maybe your location for the folder got changed?

I forget where the default folder location is for CW Core Content. But look for a folder named Cakewalk Content then look in there for a folder called Cakewalk Core then look for Project Templates. Is anything in there?

Edited by Grem

The templates folder in the preferences is pointing to my AppData\Roaming Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core folder, though the Project templates folder is not in there. I think I see what happened. I just replaced my original Media drive that had many of the cakewalk folders on it. I am in the process of copying the old drive to the new so I will see if it appears when I am done. Will report back in a couple of hours.

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

That's all I can think of TVR. That they must have got overwritten. The shame of it is, you can't reinstall. Not with BA. There should be a 'Repair' option in the BA for instances like this.

I found a Projects Templates folder on another drive. I copied it to the folder that is in preferences and everything is back to normal.  The only thing I do not understand is that CW still showed the project folder being in the roaming folder, so I do not think I ever moved that one. I should be ok. Did this happen to anyone else?

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

I don't use templates...I opened a simple project and set it up the way I liked, saved the Lens as Default, then saved the project as Default in a location folder called Default. Now I open the Default project, then do a Save As with a new name and location. Never a problem!

Bill