vsti instrument problems after windows 1803 to 1809 update

Jim Green

Question

I'm getting this strange problem after upgrading windows 10 from 1803 to 1809.    Two of my vsti instruments  (Synthmaster player and Addictive Drums 2)  are now listed in my audio effects in the browser instead of in the instruments section.  So now my projects for those instruments start up with the error message,  "plugin not found".   Also,  Addictive Keys will not load-- I get an error message asking me to run the XLN installer again.   This instrument is found in the instrument section in the browser.   All of these instruments load correctly in Studio One 4, by the way.  Those are the only plug-in problems I have found so far. 

10 answers to this question

Very unusual for the VST registry entries to change without some user action. A windows update would not alter this part of the registry.

May want to run a VST reset from preferences. A VST reset clears the VST Inventory in the registry and re-scans all the plug-ins.

Also may be a good time to make sure the re-scan options on the same page are turned off.

17 minutes ago, Jim Green said:

I'm getting this strange problem after upgrading windows 10 from 1803 to 1809.    Two of my vsti instruments  (Synthmaster player and Addictive Drums 2)  are now listed in my audio effects in the browser instead of in the instruments section.  So now my projects for those instruments start up with the error message,  "plugin not found".   Also,  Addictive Keys will not load-- I get an error message asking me to run the XLN installer again.   This instrument is found in the instrument section in the browser.   All of these instruments load correctly in Studio One 4, by the way.  Those are the only plug-in problems I have found so far. 

That's strange. I upgraded to 1809 a few months ago, and have not seen this issue.

If you go to "Utilities > Cakewalk Plug-in Manager > VST Instruments (VSTi) > Addictive Drums 2" and click on "Plug-in Properties", do you see the option "Configure as synth" checked?

Also I find it necessary to run the XLN installer after EVERY Windows upgrade. The license need to be refreshed as it thinks the computer ID has been changed (it has).

Yeah, I failed to link the XLN support page about authorization https://www.xlnaudio.com/support/my-product-is-suddenly-not-authorized-wrong-computer-id-or-this-instrument-is-in-trial-mode. This is a common problem for XLN software.

There have been cases in the past when plug-ins do not scan properly and instruments show up as effects. In this case, I would not try to force the plug-ins to synths because there a re likely other problems with the registry entries. That is why I suggested running a reset.

Yep, if there are any problems with registry entries, I would be careful. A plug-in reset/rescan, and or uninstall/re-install of the troubled plug-ins would probably be the best advice.

Regarding Windows upgrades, one extra precaution that I always take is to disable or remove my antivirus during the upgrade process. I don't want to take a chance of anything 3rd party interfering with updates to the Windows registry or system files. Some AV programs have some aggressive "protection" features, that may include registry and system files. I prefer to let Windows have full control of access during this delicate process.

Does that really help? I can't prove it, but I don't recall any recent "glitches" after upgrades since I have been using Win 10 and following that practice. ;)

Edited by abacab

I tried all the suggestions-- still no fix to the problem.  I did some performance tweeks  recently like optimize for background services, not programs.   But I did nothing to the registry.  Everything is running correctly in Studio One where I'm currently running a project, so I don't want to re-install plugins.  I did re-install Cakewalk by Bandlab,  but still no solution.  I'm not using this program much  anymore, so I will just leave it alone.

Please do not mind this my comment... :S

Make sure [VST Plug-In Properties] of AD2 in "Cakewalk Plug-in Manager".
'Configure as synth' in Plugin options is checked?
If no, check it on and then try to re-scan plugins. (or re-launch Cakewalk)

Edited by HIBI
Ouch, I didn't read abacab's comment, sorry...

Bizarre.   After doing the reset and re-scan plugins, and configure as synth, now all the XLN products were corrupted in Studio One as well as Cakewalk.  The XLN updater was corrupted as well after trying to remove and add my computer.   (which I had done already right after the Windows 10 1809 changer-over)  So I took the huge plunge and restored an image from Windows 10 1803 using Acronis True Image.  Now everything is working as normal.   I'll wait for Windows 10 1903 before upgrading my operating sytsem .  That took all day, but I am relieved.

Of course, Cakewalk and its VST scanner has nothing to do with Studio One and vice versa

XLN issues with Windows updates are well known and covered in the XLN support link provided above.

Like @abacab, I experienced no plug-in issues updating to 1809 in March.

It's great that you had an image to roll back to! It sounds like something got corrupted during the upgrade process.

It's weird how some systems are affected during some upgrades, while others are not. That's why I always image my system before any update!

I had a major problem with vb3 after a Windows 10 update version before last! I had no audio and some projects with vb3 in them crashed. I had to uninstall vb3 altogether. I contacted the developer and he and I chased that dog for about 4 days before he even gave up!

Then, 3 weeks later an update patch fix installed. Just out of curiosity i tried vb3 and VIOLA! Everything was back to normal!!! Infuriating!!!!