Getting MIDI Instruments To Follow Key Change Markers

Ian Coleman

Question

I’ve been a Cakewalk user for a few years, but one thing I’ve never got a chance to really dive into in any depth is the MIDI stuff. Recently I thought it would be useful to try to dig a bit deeper into Cakewalk’s MIDI support, so I decided to throw together a project with a simple MIDI bass Instrument track that would follow key change markers. My hazy understanding is that I should be able to define key change markers for the changes in the song, then drag MIDI patterns into the track and have them automatically follow the defined key change markers. For some reason, I can’t seem to make it work, and can’t understand why.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

• Created a new project. Set Project -> Insert Meter/Key Change, and created a project key of E at measure 1.
  • Set Project -> Insert Marker. And created a new marker at measure 1:01:000 of E. I added a few more markers to denote key changes at later measures. (One thing I’m confused about: there are two types of markers, one at Project -> Insert Meter/Key Change and the other at Project -> Insert Marker. I’ve tried both and it hasn’t made any difference.
  • Created an Instrument track and assigned it to Dimension Pro. Opened the instrument and selected a bass preset.
  • Went to the Media tab and chose PTN MIDI Patterns -> Bass -> Acoustic and dragged one of the patterns into the new instrument track.
  • When I hit play, the new bass line seems to be in C. It never changes when it hits the markers I’ve defined. If I go to the Piano Roll view, the MIDI root note is C4, too.

Am I just completely misunderstanding how MIDI is supposed to interact with key change markers, or missing something obvious? 

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

So, following the instructions I pasted in above, I was able to get it to change pitch. Most folks here probably do it without even thinking, but it's new to me.
Make sure it's a Groove Clip. Open the Clip Properties on the left. Check the appropriate boxes. Get pitchy!
One thing I didn't anticipate was the default key(?) of A. I had to change that to C or it would play in a different key than it was recorded.

grooveclippitch.jpg

19 hours ago, Ian Coleman said:

. . . so I decided to throw together a project with a simple MIDI bass Instrument track that would follow key change markers. My hazy understanding is that I should be able to define key change markers for the changes in the song, then drag MIDI patterns into the track and have them automatically follow the defined key change markers.

I remember participating in a thread on a similar concern.  IIRC the misunderstanding came about because it was assumed that "key change markers" (using your phrase) change the MIDI data automatically.  In short (again relying on my memory), when  you change the key you are changing the number of sharps and flats as they would be displayed on a staff, not the notes themselves.

Am I just completely misunderstanding how MIDI is supposed to interact with key change markers, or missing something obvious? 

Not missing something obvious, just not understanding what Insert Meter/Key Change does and not understanding what Insert Marker does. Maybe I am missing it, too, but I don't recall seeing any interaction between these and MIDI note data.

• Created a new project. Set Project -> Insert Meter/Key Change, and created a project key of E at measure 1.
  • Set Project -> Insert Marker. And created a new marker at measure 1:01:000 of E. 

In addition to the reference guide, online documentation, and the help module, perhaps the following thread will help fill in the gaps in your personal knowledge:

PS: As for Markers, if you look in the Help Module when you choose Insert Marker, there's a brief blurb. Also, there's a [Help] button in the Insert Marker Dialog.  There's also an online documentation page

As for Pitch Markers and Groove Clips, see the discussion below.  Also, some links to online documentation:  Midi Groove ClipsUsing Pitch Markers in Track View.

Edited by User 905133
(3) to add some links to online documentation; (2) to reference a later post on Pitch Markers and Groove Clips; (1) to add missing info on "Markers"

Thanks, that discussion is pretty helpful. I think the feature I'm thinking of is something like:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Looping.14.html

The idea is I set Markers with a specified Groove-Clip pitch at each chord change, then drag a MIDI pattern into the track and the pattern should automatically transpose when the clip hits a pitch marker:

image.png.2c6f45e1291be97db27d0a27297f61d5.png

If I select the MIDI clip and hit Ctrl-L the corners of the clip become rounded denoting (if I understand correctly) that it's now a "groove clip" and it should follow the marked keys. I could've sworn something like this worked years and years ago.

Are you inserting a marker, or a pitch marker?
Using pitch markers in the Track view
Pitch markers change the pitch at which Groove clips sound. All Groove clips in Cakewalk that have the Follow Project Pitch option
enabled adjust their pitch as they encounter pitch markers in Cakewalk. If there are no pitch markers, all Groove clips play at the
default project pitch, unless the Follow Project Pitch parameter is disabled.
A. Pitch marker: Groove clips with Follow Project Pitch enabled play with the Root Note transposed to C B. Time Ruler C. Pitch marker: Groove
clips with Follow Project Pitch enabled play with the Root Note transposed to D
To enable a clip’s Follow Project Pitch option
1. Select the clip and open the Clip Properties Inspector.
2. Select the Clip Properties Inspector’s Groove Clip section and make sure that the Reference Note field is correct. When your
project reaches a pitch marker, Cakewalk transposes each groove clip that has the Follow Project Pitch option enabled by the
difference between the clip’s Reference Note and the current Project Pitch.
To change your project’s default pitch
Go to Project > Set Default Groove Clip Pitch and specify the default pitch.
Cakewalk transposes each groove clip that has the Follow Project Pitch option enabled by the difference between the clip’s
Reference Note and the current Project Pitch. Your project’s pitch changes wherever you insert a pitch marker. If you don’t insert
any pitch markers, your project stays at its default pitch.

To create a pitch marker
1. In the Track view, right-click in the Time Ruler.
2. Select Create a Marker from the menu that appears.
3. The Marker dialog box appears.
4. In the Groove Clip Pitch drop-down, select a pitch.
5. Click OK.
To move a pitch marker
Click and drag a pitch marker to a new location on the Time Ruler.

I've never tried it, though.
And welcome to the forum.

Thanks Greg! I went back and I think the missing ingredient was checking the Follow Pitch and (Switch to Tempo) in the Show/Hide Clip Properties tab. I didn't have to change the Reference Note though, strangely enough. Thanks for taking the time to fiddle with it.

-Ian

• Like 1