Instruments You Really Tried To Like, but...

dubdisciple

On 12/18/2021 at 8:20 PM, DeeringAmps said:

I’m trying to “bond” with EZBass, but it hasn’t been, well, EZ.

t

I spent a while searching for a decent bass VST, but over the Xmas break I happened to download the free Kontakt 6 player and was surprised to find  out it ships with 7 free bass instruments, and the "Standard" and "Standup" basses are two of the best I've come across. (Certainly much better than some of the free ones like Ample Bass, etc...)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 1:40 PM, Ian Coleman said:

I spent a while searching for a decent bass VST, but over the Xmas break I happened to download the free Kontakt 6 player and was surprised to find  out it ships with 7 free bass instruments, and the "Standard" and "Standup" basses are two of the best I've come across. (Certainly much better than some of the free ones like Ample Bass, etc...)

That's a good suggestion, and so I will mention I assume that even a lot of folks with the full Kontakt factory library often forget to look there first before chasing the next shiny VSTi... :)

Of course, not to diss the Ample Bass, which IMHO is a really good emulation of a fingered P-Bass.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

I second Iris 2. So far the only potential use I've had for it is as sfx.  It has a lot of potential, I just haven't seen the need for any of it.

Surge seems to be highly praised by mostly sound designers who like to dabble in that stuff. That ain't me, so I didn't particularly gel with it as a useful tool.

On Kontakt- If a person were to only choose two programs to make all sorts of music with it would have to be Komplete and Sampletank. I was also surprised to dig out some shiny very usable toys in Kontakt. Same with ST4. 

I have heard Serum is a pretty nice synth. I just haven't decided if I really want to spend that much on it. I'm more into acoustic compos.

-Tim

5 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I have heard Serum is a pretty nice synth. I just haven't decided if I really want to spend that much on it. I'm more into acoustic compos.

Serum is getting pretty old now, so you might be better off with Pigments for wavetables and much more, unless EDM production is your thing. In that case, Serum would be a must have. It seems to have held up very well.

And of course, if you already have Komplete, then Massive X needs a look as far as wavetables are concerned. It's also very highly rated for that.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

I'll check Pigments out.

I guess that's mainly why I haven't bought Serum, because EDM is not my interest. I do like lush interesting soundscapes and leads that cut. Have you tried UVI Falcon?

I love Vaccum, Hybrid and Most of the Air products. I guess they are preset romplers but darned good ones for the price.

-Tim

If you are looking for a top tier synth, here's one list of some for 2022. https://integraudio.com/best-synth-plugins/

I always take any "Best Synth" list with a grain of salt, but I have 3 listed here: Pigments, Vital, and iZotope Iris 2. Any of them can do great lush soundscapes, but Pigments and Iris 2 are both very well suited for that use. Iris 2 apparently has many haters, so be careful who you listen to. It's clearly not for everyone, but is rather unique! It seems to be too complicated for some, and too simple for others looking for a beastly synth.

I also have the AIR synths, and they sound good, but don't touch them often any more as AIR never made the GUIs resizable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

I'll check Pigments out.

I guess that's mainly why I haven't bought Serum, because EDM is not my interest. I do like lush interesting soundscapes and leads that cut. Have you tried UVI Falcon?

I love Vaccum, Hybrid and Most of the Air products. I guess they are preset romplers but darned good ones for the price.

-Tim

Nothing wrong with Air synths. Hybrid is a decent workhorse synth and is highly capable in right hands. One of my favorite synths ( after it sat for years unused) is Loom/II. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dubdisciple said:

Nothing wrong with Air synths. Hybrid is a decent workhorse synth and is highly capable in right hands. One of my favorite synths ( after it sat for years unused) is Loom/II. 

I think all said and done, that Hybrid 3 and Loom II are quite good synths!!!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 8:05 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

or Vital.

I bought Vital Pro, and wish Matt Tytel all the best. It seems that "or Vital" seems to be the "last word" comment on forums these days.

That said, I hope that Matt can leverage this kind of support for long term success! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2