Sampletank 4 and Syntronik 2 updated

Promidi

2 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

Is it just me or does anyone else find that CbB crashes first time you open a project with Sampletank on a track when you update to the new version of Sampletank ? Same happened with Syntronik 2. Seems ok on reopening the same file. Weird! 

I updated to Sampletank 4.16 mid project (risky I know, but I have backups) that has 3 instances of Sampletank 4 (each with a few instruments therein) and I did not experience any crashing or anything like that.  It just worked.

This is on a PC configured as per my signature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I updated my SampleTank 4 last night. Today, after reading this, I deliberately looked for my first Cakewalk test project with ST4 that I saved in CbB over 2 years ago.

I opened it up in CbB and no crash!

Do you wait for the CbB plugin scanner to finish before opening up any projects? I do. Not sure that means anything, but it did occur to me that if a project goes looking for a plugin that was updated since the previous scan, there might be a chance for mismatch with the new VST on the drive?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeGBradford said:

Thanks. Yes I always wait for VST scan to finish before opening a project. I do get the occasional crash in ST4 projects generally - especially when going through sounds. 

Hmmm... I used to get those browsing/loading preset crashes with the initial release, and shortly afterwards. Then IK optimized the sample streaming st some point. A few of those ST4 instruments are huge! Then I switched to SSD for everything except archives.

Anyway, all of my sample content is currently installed on a dedicated SATA internal SSD. So samples load quickly now, and there are no crashes while auditioning sounds.

• Like 1

Thanks - I got in touch with IK support when I initially had the crashes and they got me to sort out my folder structure which helped a fair bit - not as many crashes as there had been but still a fair few. I have my samples on an external SSD through USB3.1 (I moved them there from my internal HDD as that is getting on a bit and is due to bite the dust at some point). Although I back stuff up I thought the samples and other important files were better on the new SSD. Maybe them being on an external SSD rather than an internal SSD / HDD could be part of the issue. At some point I'll bite the bullet and fit an internal SSD! My system & programme  disc is already an SSD.

Edited by JoeGBradford

2 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I have my samples on an external SSD through USB3.1

That should be fine with USB 3.1. The data throughput on sequential and random reads/writes should exceed what I am getting on my SATA SSD.

See the linked article regarding a real world speed test with an external SSD over USB 3.1.  https://www.techspot.com/news/59982-here-how-fast-usb-31-real-world.html

My stats below were captured with Crystal DiskMark.

CrystalDiskMark D drive.JPG

The top 2 rows are sequential, while the bottom 2 rows are random. The Q and T represent the number of queues and threads used in each particular test.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1