Strange string doubling

jkoseattle

I have loaded a solo viola patch from EastWest Play. I switched to Close mic, made sure stereo double and reverb were off, and recorded a simple line. I am hearing a doubling of the note as if two violas were playing. If the note is long enough, one of those notes rings the full length and the other stops halfway through. I messed around with the legato and portamento scripts, which makes them sound wrong in different ways. I discovered that if one MIDI note starts before another ends, that causes this effect, but if one note ends before the next starts, the effect goes away. For this reason, the first note played never has this problem. I certainly don't want to have to mess with my performances in the PRV just to eliminate this doubling effect. I have submitted this question to two different EastWest forums and haven't gotten a single reply, which makes me think maybe it's a CbB thing. What am I doing wrong?

Yeah, I checked that, but I can create a brand new line in a brand new project, and it only happens when two notes overlap even the tiniest little bit. There isn't a way to tell CW to clips note events so that they end right when the next note starts, is there?

1 hour ago, jkoseattle said:

Yeah, I checked that, but I can create a brand new line in a brand new project, and it only happens when two notes overlap even the tiniest little bit. There isn't a way to tell CW to clips note events so that they end right when the next note starts, is there?

https://github.com/rogeriodec/CAL

His "unoverlap" cal script is pretty useful for this