2021.12 Feedback

Morten Saether

46 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I encouraged the user to look inside themselves and their own system for the cause of the problem.

Hmmmm. In fact, most of the performance problem solving starts there, but, not always, that's where they are.
In my case, in fact, I see a drop in performance in this version.
I followed some msmcleod tips...

"
‎Try it‎
‎follow: 1. Disable waveform contour drawing in Display Strip Menu, display >Display->Show Waveform Contours‎

‎2. Turn off "Display Clip Attenuation" inside Perferences->Customization->Display OR... Reduce the envelope attenuation display resolution by setting ClipGainWaveformAccuracy=4 inside Preferences Startup File->File->Initialization. This controls how often the waveform envelope is “sampled” to reflect the clip gain/pan automation in the waveform display. A value of 1 is the greatest precision (most CPU), while a value of 8 is the least precision (less CPU). This does not affect playback, only the display.‎"

These tips from him within the application itself improved performance.

Such problems did not exist in the previous version.

Even so, thank you for your kind response. Thanks.

19 hours ago, murat k. said:

This issue happened to me:

Pan Automation was not working while playback.

It had to be like this:

1332715329_20-12-202119-19-03.png.593290fb2b41b0f3f01d6d07624133e9.png

But it wasn't changing like this:

70413843_20-12-202119-12-36.png.26ce3a67eab9bdcaf849fc857278b5ab.png

The problem disappeared after I restart the Cakewalk.

By the way I ve found that we call these type of things as "Glitch"

16 hours ago, murat k. said:

Have you checked PRV Snap Overrides?

image.png.4bf47ead1d4039486d13a5e3c2409892.png

i've had a big problem with that, too, when moving audio clips around takes or tracks - it always snaps them "to", instead of preserving their time alignment. it's bad implementation, to begin with. some operations - like moving clip or note - should be "snap by" by default - while some - like trimming notes or clips - should be "snap to".

clip handling doesn't even give you the option to choose. so you have to trim the clips to the closest resolution grid line, and mess up your entire comping, before you move them, and redo the comping after you've done. it's three operations instead of one, and the (normally) unnecessary operations take more time and effort than the actual moving.

The Cakewalk Plug In Manager under Utilities is broken.

I can not add any plugin to a folder or create a new folder and add plugins to them.

After I save my Layout preset and reload it the newly created folders and plugins are gone.

I could not get The Reason Rack Plugin to work and think this is the reason,excuse the pun,why.

I may have to install Cakewalk from scratch,it seems to be buggy when updating from incremental files. 

A problem has appeared with the sends from tracks.  Let me illustrate:

If I create a send from a track to audio port 7-8L of my audio interface, it does this okay.  (see Images 1 and 2).

If I now save the project, close and now reload the project, the send has reverted to audio port 7-8S (see image3).

Notice also that when I open the send dialog box, the L, R, S indicators on the RHS have disappeared)

I have tried creating a couple of new projects and the issue is consistent.

The problem only happens with mono audio sends  from tracks.  The main output allocation from a track appears to be working correctly.

Could someone in the development team please check this out and let me know if it's a known issue.  I use mono audio track sends a lot in my projects so this is a big issue for me.

Regards

Robert

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

4 hours ago, norfolkmastering said:

A problem has appeared with the sends from tracks.  Let me illustrate:

If I create a send from a track to audio port 7-8L of my audio interface, it does this okay.  (see Images 1 and 2).

If I now save the project, close and now reload the project, the send has reverted to audio port 7-8S (see image3).

Notice also that when I open the send dialog box, the L, R, S indicators on the RHS have disappeared)

I have tried creating a couple of new projects and the issue is consistent.

The problem only happens with mono audio sends  from tracks.  The main output allocation from a track appears to be working correctly.

Could someone in the development team please check this out and let me know if it's a known issue.  I use mono audio track sends a lot in my projects so this is a big issue for me.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert, it appears that this is a UI issue (not new to this update). If you show Hardware Outputs in the Console View, you should see it only outputting to the original mono send despite displaying stereo. We'll look into it for the next release. Thanks!

• Like 1

I am getting consistent application hangs with no error report message showing up. The only way out is to "close" CW but it remains in memory and even trying to kill the Cakewalk.exe process returns an "Access is denied" message. In order to restart CW, I must either reboot the computer or at least log off of Windows and then log back in again. This has happened on multiple projects opened over the last couple days since installing the update with no reproducible common cause between the occurrences being noticed.

Sorry, I know this is almost nothing to go on.

2 minutes ago, winkpain said:

I am getting consistent application hangs with no error report message showing up. The only way out is to "close" CW but it remains in memory and even trying to kill the Cakewalk.exe process returns an "Access is denied" message. In order to restart CW, I must either reboot the computer or at least log off of Windows and then log back in again. This has happened on multiple projects opened over the last couple days since installing the update with no reproducible common cause between the occurrences being noticed.

Sorry, I know this is almost nothing to go on.

Create a hang dump

Here is how

16 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Hi Robert, it appears that this is a UI issue (not new to this update). If you show Hardware Outputs in the Console View, you should see it only outputting to the original mono send despite displaying stereo. We'll look into it for the next release. Thanks!

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the info.  I checked and of course you are correct, it is a UI issue.  It would be great if this could be sorted for the next release.  Regards Robert

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 12:11 AM, Milton Sica said:

I found problems in EA and they were a performance issue. I had the impression that more processing was added.
So I was told to try to opt for screen emulations that increase processing and bring these problems.

I suggest you take a look at this post of the version that was tested in EA. Maybe bring some tips.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/37194-closed-cakewalk-202112-early-access-updated-to-build-93/#comments

Thanks - so changing ClipGainWaveformAccuracy = 8 in the initialisation file seems to help a bit, as does disabling all FX, but I think it's generally just more resource intensive, as closing down other programs helps as well, as well as sometimes a program or even Windows  restart. The problem now only seems to sometimes happen when the project clock is set to Midi sync. When it's audio it's ok.

Edited by plainfaceboy
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 1:40 AM, Milton Sica said:

Hmmmm. In fact, most of the performance problem solving starts there, but, not always, that's where they are.
In my case, in fact, I see a drop in performance in this version.
I followed some msmcleod tips...

"
‎Try it‎
‎follow: 1. Disable waveform contour drawing in Display Strip Menu, display >Display->Show Waveform Contours‎

‎2. Turn off "Display Clip Attenuation" inside Perferences->Customization->Display OR... Reduce the envelope attenuation display resolution by setting ClipGainWaveformAccuracy=4 inside Preferences Startup File->File->Initialization. This controls how often the waveform envelope is “sampled” to reflect the clip gain/pan automation in the waveform display. A value of 1 is the greatest precision (most CPU), while a value of 8 is the least precision (less CPU). This does not affect playback, only the display.‎"

These tips from him within the application itself improved performance.

Such problems did not exist in the previous version.

Even so, thank you for your kind response. Thanks.

Just to clarify, this advice was in response to a user comparing the performance of a project in SONAR vs CbB.

As waveform outlines and visual clip gain/pan are the only extra things CbB is doing when drawing clips when compared to SONAR, I suggested the above to remove them from the equation. 

AFAIK there shouldn't be any differences in performance between 2021.11 and 2021.12 as the vast majority of work for 2021.12 was for nested folders. I certainly can't think of anything that would change performance in playback.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, norfolkmastering said:

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the info.  I checked and of course you are correct, it is a UI issue.  It would be great if this could be sorted for the next release.  Regards Robert

We'll look into it. The issue dates back to pre-SONAR days.
It's amazing how some of these issues never get noticed until many years later :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cakewalk is fantastic.  It's been my DAW of choice since 1991 and gets better all the time.   Now working on my 16th CD using CW to compose and produce my compositions and recordings.   

Thank you so much for creating, maintaining and upgrading CW.   The music industry has no idea what it's missing in terms of a DAW that has so many great features.  Even the earliest features, like being able to rename controllers, a color-coded event list and the general look of CW still add value to this DAW. 

Happy holidays and and happy new year to all at Cakewalk!

Jerry

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just found out that after latest update, when I insert a Track Template, all the buses involved in that track template get soloed, without my intervention. This happens on certain plugins, like Vienna Synchron Strings and Ivory Pianos. Others inserts right (like Vienna Instruments).

Minor detail, but is confusing.

By now I just resave the track templates again, and then it works just fine.